Anthem AVM20 and line conditioner ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Camlioglu, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Tom Camlioglu

Tom Camlioglu Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,
    I was reading in the manual (page 8) that it is not recommended to use a line conditioner as the AVM20's power supply has it's own line filtering and voltage regulation built in.
    So I guess my Panamax 1500 will only be used on my (3) MCA amps ...
    Basically I have (2) questions:
    Does anyone use a line conditioner with the AVM20?
    What is a "good" surge protector to use instead of the line conditioner?
    (I realize that the higher the joule rating, the better the protection .. but what I want to know is what brand and model you would recommend)
    Thanks in advance guys ..
    Tom [​IMG]

2. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Tom,

I am using a high current PS Audio Ultimate outlet with a juice bar and have had no problems for the past two weeks. The Ultimate Outlet made a nice difference.

Lots of people here recommend BrickWall surge protection. I think Anthem corrected the problem with a different fuse.

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I use a Monster Power HTS 2500. I've not had any problems. I also don't have a clue what the Monster Power thing does...but it looks cool. [​IMG]

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I use a Brickwall for surge protection (www.brickwall.com). It does have some line conditioning properties as well, but Anthem reassured me this would not be a problem as the original warning not to use a line conditioner stemmed from the fact that certain line conditioners were tripping the fuses in the AVM-20, which has subsequently been corrected with the use of slow blow fuses on the newer models.
    If you are looking for a good surge suppressor, my suggestion would be to use something by Brickwall or PS Audio as their designs use non-MOV technology, unlike similar products like Monster's (Sorry Camp![​IMG] ) which use MOV based technology.
    Long story short....non-MOV technology will never fail and never needs replacing. MOV technology is designed to fail and will degrade over time. The unit will eventually need replacing.

5. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

To echo Evan:
    I went thru this exercise after getting my Anthem MCA5 power amp. Anthem tech/engineers believe their unit’s massive torroidal transformers, built-in fusing, heat-overload and other internal protections are sufficient to handle the routine power surge/spike problems that consumers face. Therefore, Anthem recommends plugging these amps directly to the wall outlet. As Evan notes, it seems Anthem has the same confidence in the power supply of the AVM20. (I use a surge suppressor on everything else, incl my sub.)
    In the situation where a user faces the potential of continual, seasonal electrical/lightning storm activity, a higher level of surge/spike protection is available from Series Mode technology which doesn’t use MOV or sacrificial metal oxide varistors. Such a device can be Brickwall.com PW2RAUD, a $209 2-outlet for hi-current component use. Since brickwall claims a no-lightning-damage technology, there are no Joule Ratings with this unit. HERE
    Speaking of surge suppressors in general, look for the minimum testing standard of U.L.1449 Listing in device specs. Joule Ratings are a limited measure. Here’s how APC describes what to LOOK FOR.
    If you were to replace the Panamax 1500 (3-4 yr-old model) beyond Panamax Max 5100 and 5500 units, I wud recommend the series-mode based Adcom ACE 315 and 615 units which also offer nice plug-in power center features.
    Nearly all surge protectors are limited "line conditioners" in that they incorporate ferrite coils and capacitors for AC line noise from RF/EMI sources. You will see specs for ~ -50dB noise elimination at a stated Hz range.
    bill