What's new

Anthem AVM 70 - Initial Impressions (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Reading user forum comments, it sounds like it’s quirky. And I still wonder if the problem John is having is trying to play test tones in User Profile 2 while User Profile 1 is active. I saw this exact problem described with this solution in a different discussion.

Regardless, when a device doesn’t comport to how we use tech, it’s a reasonable choice to get something different rather than reshape our brain to suit the manufacturer’s opinion.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Yet, every review raved about it.
As an occasional reviewer myself, I can tell you we judge products based on relative brief periods of use. I'll be the first to say, performance-wise, the AVM70 is a great achievement, especially at its current price. Even enthusiasts want ease of use as part of a products feature set. I don't mind some tinkering and trial & error but at a certain point you begin to worry about the long-term prospect of owning a finicky piece of gear.
Regardless, when a device doesn’t comport to how we use tech, it’s a reasonable choice to get something different rather than reshape our brain to suit the manufacturer’s opinion.
That about sums it up for me. I almost feel as if Anthem needs to launch an AVM70/90 certification program similar to what Cisco and other network vendors do for their products. AV shouldn't require that level of commitment.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Canadian audio gear seems to be singularly bad at providing decent documentation. I like my Funk Audio Classic 18" sub, but documentation for setting it was and is non-existent.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I almost feel like I'm being challenged to make the AVM 90 work.
The available control options are as follows.
  • Physical remote - Hard buttons for bass, treble, input and levels but severely hampered by the companion OSD overlays [see post #47] which are the only available onscreen menus.
  • Anthem remote app for Android/IOS - The Android version crashed so frequently it was virtually unusable.
  • Web interface - The best overall option but still not a valid replacement for a real, robust OSD, especially at these price points. On my 10" Samsung tab the buttons were small to the point of causing difficulty selecting the right option, etc. and feedback wasn't always clear either. As an example, when I selected the "test noise" option to play tones, the unit responded as if the tones should be playing, only they weren't. Changing speaker profiles did nothing to help.
You would ultimately get it to work just fine. I knew I could too but the strangeness it exhibited made me less than confident regarding its long-term viability. I'm not exactly a neophyte at this stuff so if I need to engage tech support to complete basic functions, that's a bad sign. I really do hope Anthem gets the message and revamps the AVM70's control interfaces because it really is a stellar performer.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The available control options are as follows.
  • Physical remote - Hard buttons for bass, treble, input and levels but severely hampered by the companion OSD overlays [see post #47] which are the only available onscreen menus.
  • Anthem remote app for Android/IOS - The Android version crashed so frequently it was virtually unusable.
  • Web interface - The best overall option but still not a valid replacement for a real, robust OSD, especially at these price points. On my 10" Samsung tab the buttons were small to the point of causing difficulty selecting the right option, etc. and feedback wasn't always clear either. As an example, when I selected the "test noise" option to play tones, the unit responded as if the tones should be playing, only they weren't. Changing speaker profiles did nothing to help.
You would ultimately get it to work just fine. I knew I could too but the strangeness it exhibited made me less than confident regarding its long-term viability. I'm not exactly a neophyte at this stuff so if I need to engage tech support to complete basic functions, that's a bad sign. I really do hope Anthem gets the message and revamps the AVM70's control interfaces because it really is a stellar performer.
Yeah, I've seen other comments that the app simply doesn't work.

Now, the problems with actually using the web interface on a tablet IS a problem, because I expected that's how I'd generally control it.

In the end, I have to agree. If you are having difficulty with the technical aspects, that's not a good sign.

So, I've been perusing the other options. The Monoprice is outdated and seems to no longer be available. The top Emotiva preamp has similar glitches, but it's half the price of the AVM 90. The Marantz AV10 is brand spanking new and it's reasonable to believe it will be rock-solid in these ways. Yeah, how Dirac Live is handled on it is asinine, but for sub integration I can always go with a MiniDSP. One big issue with it I discovered, though. The damn thing is nearly 20" deep, plus XLR connectors. So, the reality is, I don't think I can make it fit.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm glad the 7702 is fine for all normal 4K, and I don't do 120Hz gaming. With a year or three before I have to buy, I can wait for Marantz to get its new models out, with full Dirac options available. And maybe Anthem will improve UX issues. And maybe Monoprice will update its HTP-1.

It seems like there's lots of great AVRs out now. But processors apparently are in a rough mid-update cycle.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I've been largely MIA focusing on my home build project, but I'm sorry to hear you ran into trouble. That's one of the reasons I have stuck with my AVM60.

The AVM70 also had poorer measured performance, which in a newer project seems tantamount to regression in technology.

My next AVP will most likely be a 5-year upgrade, so I'm holding out hope for the next generation of Dirac enabled units that launch, namely the JBL Synthesis models: https://www.jblsynthesis.com/produc...DP58-_color=Black-AM-Current&cgid=electronics

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For months, I haven't been using my main HT much until this past weekend when I hooked up my new 1140 receiver. Anyhow, I got some bad news that really pisses me off because I don't know what happened. Both of my subwoofers won't power up. I didn't notice them not powering up until I started the tone test process. I have two subs about 80-100 lbs each that I have to deal with now. Anybody got any suggestions to what may be wrong with them? I tried different electrical outlets so it's not that. Blown fuses?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
For months, I haven't been using my main HT much until this past weekend when I hooked up my new 1140 receiver. Anyhow, I got some bad news that really pisses me off because I don't know what happened. Both of my subwoofers won't power up. I didn't notice them not powering up until I started the tone test process. I have two subs about 80-100 lbs each that I have to deal with now. Anybody got any suggestions to what may be wrong with them? I tried different electrical outlets so it's not that. Blown fuses?
Are they failing to power up or just failing to produce tones?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I've been largely MIA focusing on my home build project, but I'm sorry to hear you ran into trouble. That's one of the reasons I have stuck with my AVM60.

The AVM70 also had poorer measured performance, which in a newer project seems tantamount to regression in technology.

My next AVP will most likely be a 5-year upgrade, so I'm holding out hope for the next generation of Dirac enabled units that launch, namely the JBL Synthesis models: https://www.jblsynthesis.com/produc...DP58-_color=Black-AM-Current&cgid=electronics
I briefly looked at this but, since I'm not familiar with JBL as a processor manufacturer, wasn't brave enough to proceed. There's one out there in the the wild for anyone who is.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
A few thoughts...

You said that you tried another electrical outlet, but if it is on the same circuit breaker as the outlet normally used for your sub woofers then the breaker hasn't been eliminated as a source of the problem. I'd check and possibly reset the circuit breakers for the outlets associated with your home theater. I'd use a floor lamp or something else powered by 110 VAC ( a power tool, etc.) and verify all of the outlets are providing power. A voltmeter or a small circuit tester could also be used.

If you still have the manual for your subwoofer(s) they should provide information concerning location of the fuses and what type to use for replacement. The manufacturer should (might?) have a web site from which you could download a product manual.

Apologies if any of this sounds too basic or elementary, but when troubleshooting electrical problems, you can't be too methodical.

As I was finishing this post - I see that Robert is getting stuff from SVS. Good luck.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks