What's new

Anthem AVM 70 - Initial Impressions (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That is true but, if it's Flash based, then the browser used to access it would still need to be able to deal with that.
It’s HTML, not Flash. Nothing uses Flash today.

This worry about Flash is from 20 year old industrial machines. That stuff is outdated the day it comes out and only gets worse from there. No bearing on current consumer gear.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m certainly no expert on the topic, but I thought Flash ceased to be a thing at least five years ago, so I don’t quite understand why it was brought up in the first place.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It’s HTML, not Flash. Nothing uses Flash today.

I’m certainly no expert on the topic, but I thought Flash ceased to be a thing at least five years ago, so I don’t quite understand why it was brought up in the first place.
It was brought up by @Edwin-S in post #26 as a reason he distrusts embedded web servers in AV gear.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on room correction and overall performance.

Assuming my 7702mkII doesn‘t fail, I’m probably two years out from buying a new processor. But if you’re raving about your AVM70, and serendipity strikes, maybe I could upgrade sooner.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Aesthetics and Control:
The AVM70 lacks a true OSD as is found in Marantz processors. Instead it relies on crude, progressive overlays as shown in the below photos. You cycle through these using arrow keys and a "select" button. While it's presumably possible to completely control the unit with this interface, it is a surprisingly clunky implementation for a product in this tier. As far as I know, the AVM90 uses the exact same system.

Anthem also has a free control app available for IOS and Android that offers decent control but the best option for most, assuming you have a PC or tablet close by, will be the built in web server. It should be noted, however, that even this pales compared to what Marantz offers.

AVM70 Menu Overlay 1.jpg
AVM70 Menu Overlay 2.jpg

Anthem uses a topology known as "virtual inputs" to assign audio and video sources. Each virtual input can have fairly granular, unique characteristics. As an example, I do not use my in-ceiling speakers when listening to two channel music but I want them available for film content, even when it is sourced from my HTPC, which also sources my music via JRiver or Kodi. To accomplish this, I created two separate virtual inputs, "Music" and "HTPC Movie." Both have the HTPC as their audio and video source but the Music virtual input uses a speaker profile I've set to disable the in-ceiling speakers. It's a very nice system and adds a lot of flexibility.

1677986295478.png

Sound/ARC Genesis:
I have a lot more to learn but initial impressions are off the charts. I honestly didn't know my speakers could sound this good. As noted in a previous post the bass, while tightly integrated, seemed a bit subdued after running ARC so I've boosted that a bit to my liking. I believe this may have been a result of ARC overcompensating for room gain, something I can also tweak and set as I desire.

Compared to my AV7702 MKII I'd say the AVM70 could be considered a bit bright but, again, I'm sure I can tweak this over time. It also seems to play a lot louder at a given dB setting than my Marantz did. I heard at least one reviewer say the same thing.

Assuming my 7702mkII doesn‘t fail, I’m probably two years out from buying a new processor.

Because I wanted to complete my "end game" system now instead of later I bought both a new projector and the AVM70 now, even though the cost was considerable. If I were choosing between the two, I'd choose the AVM70. It's still early yet but I can tell you, this thing is a game changer where audio is concerned. It's just unfortunate the menu and control options aren't better at this price point although, presumably, this could be addressed through firmware updates at some point. Unlike Marantz, Anthem welcomes customer feedback.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Can you select two different hdmi sources for a virtual input? One for video and a different one for audio?

Robert Saccone

Premium
Joe your comments have been very helpful to me. I currently have Marantz SR8015 operating fully in prepro mode. I have been thinking about my next upgrade and am down to considering either the AVM 70/90 or the new Marantz AV10 Prepro. I have no doubt ARC Genesis is excellent from what I’ve been reading here and over at another forum. I am also intrigued about the possibility of using Dirac on the Marantz if I got that route although I have been very pleased with what I can do with Audyssey MultEQ-X currently. One of the things I am struggling with is I do use the Auro 3D up mixer on a lot of non-Atmos and non-DTS-X content. I prefer it to the Dolby and DTS upmixers. I am also wondering if Anthem will get DTS-X Pro support as well. On the Marantz front there seems to be an issue with some of them crackling in some of the channels so I not pulling any trigger (if I decide to go that way) until that is sorted out. Looking forward to more impressions as you continue to use your Anthem.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Did Audio Advice include any materials of their own for the AVM 70?
They did not. This came as a surprise to me as well. Perhaps only certain items get their special tips and setup instructions?
They say they do with the AVM 90, so I guess I incorrectly assumed that included the AVM 70.
For my Anthem 1140, Audio Advice did send me two different emails with "Tips & Tricks: Anthem Processors & Receivers Setup Guide" and "Tips & Tricks: Anthem ARC Genesis Setup Guide". My receiver arrives today.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Joe your comments have been very helpful to me. I currently have Marantz SR8015 operating fully in prepro mode. I have been thinking about my next upgrade and am down to considering either the AVM 70/90 or the new Marantz AV10 Prepro. I have no doubt ARC Genesis is excellent from what I’ve been reading here and over at another forum. I am also intrigued about the possibility of using Dirac on the Marantz if I got that route although I have been very pleased with what I can do with Audyssey MultEQ-X currently. One of the things I am struggling with is I do use the Auro 3D up mixer on a lot of non-Atmos and non-DTS-X content. I prefer it to the Dolby and DTS upmixers. I am also wondering if Anthem will get DTS-X Pro support as well. On the Marantz front there seems to be an issue with some of them crackling in some of the channels so I not pulling any trigger (if I decide to go that way) until that is sorted out. Looking forward to more impressions as you continue to use your Anthem.
Who's Joe? :cool:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
For my Anthem 1140, Audio Advice did send me two different emails with "Tips & Tricks: Anthem Processors & Receivers Setup Guide" and "Tips & Tricks: Anthem ARC Genesis Setup Guide". My receiver arrives today.
Congrats, Robert. My initial statement may have been misleading as both of these can be downloaded from their web site, even if you do not purchase from them.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think it’s weird that Anthem’s UX is worse than Marantz in all regards. Denon long had a reputation for bad UI. And the more recent (past ten years?) has gotten better. My marantz OSD and web interface are both competent. But they’re not pinnacles of user-facing design. So that a brand new system can’t get to where everyone else was 20 years ago, is disappointing.

Presumably all that UX money is going into their firmware and ARC design?

Because I wanted to complete my "end game" system now instead of later I bought both a new projector and the AVM70 now, even though the cost was considerable. If I were choosing between the two, I'd choose the AVM70. It's still early yet but I can tell you, this thing is a game changer where audio is concerned. It's just unfortunate the menu and control options aren't better at this price point although, presumably, this could be addressed through firmware updates at some point. Unlike Marantz, Anthem welcomes customer feedback.

I totally get the massive upgrade with projector and pre-pro in one go. Speaking for myself, I’m at an age of where waiting another five years to spread out the spending and get the optimal next-gen tech is making less sense than it did 25 years ago.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Presumably all that UX money is going into their firmware and ARC design?

I totally get the massive upgrade with projector and pre-pro in one go. Speaking for myself, I’m at an age of where waiting another five years to spread out the spending and get the optimal next-gen tech is making less sense than it did 25 years ago.
Perhaps but it's still no excuse. I really do hope they improve this through firmware as it's an eyesore for an otherwise exquisite product.

Now we're on the same page. Tom Sizemore was 4 years older than I am tomorrow. Lisa Marie Presley was a couple years younger. That aside, regardless of my longevity, I know I'll never be better positioned to enjoy my HT than I am right now. Our next home [if and when we get tired of dealing with stairs] would likely not have the space to do the things I can now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Perhaps but it's still no excuse. I really do hope they improve this through firmware as it's an eyesore for an otherwise exquisite product.

Now we're on the same page. Tom Sizemore was 4 years older than I am tomorrow. Lisa Marie Presley was a couple years younger. That aside, regardless of my longevity, I know I'll never be better positioned to enjoy my HT than I am right now. Our next home [if and when we get tired of dealing with stairs] would likely not have the space to do the things I can now.
Yes. Exactly. :)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
In my initial post I stated that the AVM70 lacks optical connections. This was a mistake. I meant to say [legacy] "component" connections.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
For those interested, here's a bit more about ARC Genesis. There are two distinct modes. I used "Auto" mode for my initial measurements but the tool also has a "Professional" mode which unlocks a vast set of additional tools and adjustments. Here's the link from the Anthem site describing advanced settings..

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For those interested, here's a bit more about ARC Genesis. There are two distinct modes. I used "Auto" mode for my initial measurements but the tool also has a "Professional" mode which unlocks a vast set of additional tools and adjustments. Here's the link from the Anthem site describing advanced settings..

John,

I don't have a laptop and my computer is on another floor from my main HT. What would you recommend how I do my ARC adjustments? iPad or iPhone?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks