Anthem AVM-20 vs Pio 563A DAC for cd music?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DavidNighorn, Nov 7, 2003.

1. DavidNighorn

DavidNighorn Stunt Coordinator

The subject says it all. Should I play my cd's through the multichannel inputs on the AVM or should I use the coax digital connection? It comes down to which DAC is better.

The other consideration is useability. If I use the 6.1 inputs then I can program my pronto to have a 'listen to music' mode. If I use the digital input, then I have to have a 'listen to hi-rez music' and a 'listen to cd music' mode. The user (my wife) will have to think about what type of music she is listening too, partly robbing the benefit of having a combo player.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

David

2. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    My first thought was that the Anthem would have better DACs than the Pioneer.

That said, I would suggest you try both ways and see if you can hear a difference. If not, then use the hookup option that is most convenient for you.

I wasn't sure from reading your post, but I assume you know you must use the multichannel analog outputs on the Pioneer to listen to high rez DVD-A and SACD.

Hope this is of some help.

JimmyK

3. DavidNighorn

DavidNighorn Stunt Coordinator

Well, the answer is........the $170 universal player! I played the same cd from this player using both inputs and the multichannel inputs had a much more expansive, realistic sound. Who'da thunk it?

As a point of disclosure, I am not an audiophile and I am not trying to justify nearly imperceptible differences. The difference was clearly audible. Ah well, this makes programming the Pronto that much easier.

David