What's new

Anthem AVM-20 Upgraded Models? (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
As many of you are aware, AVM-20 owners have been waiting for a hardware upgrade that will replace the Motorola DSP with an updated model capable of DPL2 -among other things.

My dealer called me today to let me know he received his first ever shipment of AVM-20's today. He says they already have this upgrade installed.

Needless to say, I'm a bit skeptical. I've read nothing on the 'net about this upgrade being ready to go. I questioned him on this and he made some phone calls. He stands behind his claim that my unit will be an upgraded model -with DPL2.

Here's the deal: his price is $300 higher than I'm willing to pay... -but the upgrade was supposed to run around $300. If this model really has the upgrade it makes since to pay his asking price. However, If I can determine it does not have the upgrade I will walk out empty handed.

So, what should I look for to verify the upgrade is installed? He probably doesn't have a demo unit yet and, as a new Anthem dealer, is probably a bit inexperienced with the unit. Will there be a DPL2 logo on the box? -etched on the face? -a separate addendum to the manual?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
One more thing:

The Sunfire Theater Grand III uses the same Motorola DSP. If it is on the market then I guess it's possible Anthem upgrades may be hitting dealers.

Has anyone seen a TG III for sale yet?

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Camp,
Contact Sonic Frontiers with your dealer name and verify with Sonic if they they shipped it out to said dealer...
Also, they'll tell you EXACTLY what to look for in terms of determining if this is the "new" version including silk screen or etched DPLII logo...
Hope that helps...
www.anthemav.com
'nuff said... :)
Good luck,
-Alex

Bob Wilson

Agent
I received my AVM 20 last wednesday having ordered it on the 24th of May. Mine is not new and upgraded so I doubt taht new ones are arriving as of yet. My dealer says he expects upgrades in August.

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
I'm sure if it is an upgraded unit it will say so on the box and on the unit itself. As an extra precaution, i would make certain I could return the unit or get a 300.00 refund if it turns out not to be as stated.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I called Anthem this morning. They're looking in to finding out if the units shipped to my dealer are upgraded models.

The (very helpful) Anthem rep who is assisting me should call me back shortly.

The very fact that he is investigating this indicates it's not out of the realm of possibility that upgraded models are due to be hitting dealers.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the update, Camp. My direct contact with SF in late April indicated that the hardware upgrades would be available this month. Nice to know that someone finally hit a given date. (NOTE: Not a jab at Outlaw, but to all AV companies of late. SF missed their April date for this upgrade.)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's not an upgraded unit.
...but I bought it anyway. :)
My dealer is going to take care of me when the upgrade becomes available.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
The upgrade is not due out for another 4-6 weeks and pricing has still not been finalized.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I don't know for sure...but I don't think that's necessarily true.

The Anthem rep who was helping me indicated that some units may have shipped with the upgrade already. He just didn't know where they shipped.

Now, the upgrade for existing units may be on a different time frame...I have no idea.

Michael Langdon

Stunt Coordinator
I have been told that I can get a unit with the upgraded Motorola chip but would have to wait for the software download to enable DPL II, etc.

Mike

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Camp,

You know I'm an Anthem dealer. I have been in contact with Anthem about the upgrade for clients each and every week. My information is fact. Anything else that has been posted is rumor and is not verifiable, particularly the last two posts from Mr. Langdon.

Michael Langdon

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,

My Anthem dealer contacted Anthem today and relayed the upgrade price to me. He also relayed that some units may indeed be shipping with the new Motorola chips. I am just passing along what I was told. I agree the information that is coming from Anthem is rumor because even the reps admittedly do not know all the answers (as relayed by my dealer). Since last Friday, the upgrade price has changed from $300 to $100 for the first 90 days and then $300 after 90 days to the $100 price I was given today. Thus, I cannot see how your information is any more fact that what I received since you are an Anthem dealer in contact with Anthem and it was another Anthem dealer in contact with Anthem who is responding to my inquiry about the upgrade status. I would be glad to give you the dealer name and location offline if you desire.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Bill,
I've since received the same info from my dealer about the upgrade pricing. My dealer got the info from a guy with the title of "Anthem Product Trainer". This same guy was surprised my unit (delivered on Monday) didn't have the new Motorola chip.
Like Michael, I'm just passing along what I'm hearing. Either our dealers are liars or you don't know as much as you think you do -or somewhere in-between :) .

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Interesting. The pricing strategy is really strange. Are they encouraging every current owner to upgrade within the 90 day window by only charging $100? Weird. What about the price increase for new units w/ the upgrade? $100 or $300?

I'm going to email SF now to see if we can get the scoop right from SF. I'll post here if they return my email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks