Anthem AVM-20 Owners: Comparisons?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Gere, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

I've searched and read all I can here, but would like to see if I can get some pretty specific findings by starting yet another AVM-20 thread.

I know there are quite a few folks here that own this fine preamp. I hope to be one of them soon. (I currently have an Acurus ACT-3).

Here's what I'd like to know:

I'm wondering what other pre/pro's current AVM-20 owners traded-up FROM or compared TO before deciding on the AVM-20. What about the AVM-20 made you choose it vs. others?

Thanks in advance to all who take a moment to share their experience(s)!

2. MikeAF

MikeAF Stunt Coordinator

Paul,
    I just ordered mine this past week and will be replacing my Pioneer Elite receiver. I was pretty much set on the Outlaw 950 but they have stopped shipping as far as I know and since I did not get on the reservation list till March I did not want to wait any longer. I really wanted the Integra Research RDC7 but felt the Anthem was a very good equal and a little less in price. I chose it because it has balanced outputs, good upgrade record and because of all the positive reviews here on HTF. It should keep me happy for a very long time and I can't wait to get it and see what everyone has been talking about. The other major point for me was there is a local dealer here who carries it as I did not want to have to try and find another way to get one and he gave me what I felt was a decent, though not great, deal on it. Hope this helps, and I hope to have my review up a couple of weeks after it arrives.

Mike

3. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Paul,

Prepros previously owned or auditioned (in my system):

Lexicon MC-1 (owned about 9 months)
    Marantz AV-9000 (owned about 9 months)
    B&K Reference 30
    Sunfire Theater Grand
    Adcom GTP-760

Two channel preamps auditioned (in my system):

Bryston BP-25 (same analog section as in Bryston SP-1 prepro)
    Audio Refinement Pre-5 (actually a 5.1 analog preamp)
    Audio Research LS-16
    Classe CP-35
    Adcom GFP-750

Pure and simple, music sounds better in our system with the AVM-20 than with any other prepro or preamp that I have listed. The system sounds so good that we stopped looking for another prepro/preamp, although I would really like the DPL II upgrade (hello Sonic Frontiers?!).

Michael

4. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Paul,
    If you are looking for more specific comparison comments, here is a link to some comments I made about the AVM-20 and the Lexicon MC-1. Here is another link to some comments I made about the AVM-20 and the Bryston BP-25.
    Take these comments for what it is worth, my opinion and personal experience. In someone else's system, their experience might be different.
    Michael

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I upgraded from a harmon/kardon AVR-7000 receiver.

I auditioned the Rotel 1066, Sunfire Theater Grand, and Lexicon MC-1. I would have auditioned the B&K Reference 30 but couldn't find a dealer in my area.

In the end I chose the Anthem for it's abundant features. As far as I could tell, sound quality was pretty close among the processors I auditioned. However, as I didn't audition any in my system I can't directly compare them.

However, the Anthem is worlds beyond my old h/k receiver.

6. Bill Wilkins

Bill Wilkins Agent

Parasound AVC2500, Marantz AV560 & AV600. The Anthem AVM-20 sounds fantastic in my ultra-revealing system. Crystal clear and natural sounding. I like it so much I am indifferent at looking any further.

7. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

The Anthem AVM-20 is my first move into separates, upgrading from a Harman Kardon receiver (AVR-45) as well. In my system I auditioned the B&K Ref 30 and Outlaw 950 either before or after getting the AVM-20.

Basically I bought it for a few reasons...balanced connections (great for multi-zone), great sound quality as well as flexible bass management capabilities for SACD.

I have no regrets.

8. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

Thanks to all for your feedback. Many of the same pre/pro's I've been considering are named in the thread. MOST helpful!

Anybody got comparison experience with Classe SSP-30 or Myryad _ _-500? Haven't auditioned these, but they're available locally. Obvious differences in feature sets vs. the AVM-20, but both Classe and Myryad are supposed to sound great.

Thanks!
    -Paul

9. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I stopped looking at Classe after reading the features (or lack thereof). I'm sure it sound fantastic but DPL-era features don't cut it any more. [​IMG]

10. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

Camp,
    Yeah, I share your sentiments. Particularly when considering future software/hardware upgrade paths. The AVM-20 is just better suited. I've kind of come to the point that even if the Classe piece sounded a wee bit better (I don't know this, haven't heard an A/B comparison), the feature set of the AVM-20 more than compensates for any difference in overall sound quality, coupled with a far more future-proof unit.

Thanks!