What's new

Anthem AVM-20, Opinions? Convince Me. (1 Viewer)

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I might have missed this in the AVM-20 manual, but can you assign different sub levels to different sources? For example, if I want to listen to CDs with the bass 10 Db below the level I use for DVDs, can you save these settings and have them recalled when you select an input on the AVM-20? With all the talk of the Outlaw 950 not having this feature, I went back to the AVM-20 manual but couldn't find this mentioned.

Brian Florian

Stunt Coordinator
Sort of...

Once you've calibrated the relative levels of all the channels, including subwoofer, in the AVM-20's set up, you can apply an offset adjustment to any of the channels using the buttons surrounding the main volume knob.

The adjustments you make will stay with the audio format active when you made the adjustment. So you can have the subwoofer reduced by 10dB for stereo, boosted by 3dB for AC-3, flat for DTS etc...

To be exact, Stereo, Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, DTS, and the 5.1 analogue input can each have unique level offset for each channel.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Scott, going through the manual I noticed a couple things.

On page 29 of the manual, it states..."The AVM-20 memorizes all speaker level settings for each of Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic, DTS, Stereo (including Music Modes) and for the 6 channel S/E input. This eliminates the need to constantly adjust individual speaker levels when changing different types of source material."

Doug_B

Screenwriter
The adjustments you make will stay with the audio format active when you made the adjustment. So you can have the subwoofer reduced by 10dB for stereo, boosted by 3dB for AC-3, flat for DTS etc...
Yea, I got caught on this one with the AVM 20 while doing sub calibration with Avia. With one of the sub tests going, the AVM 20 is in DD5.1 format, but if you pause the test, it goes to DD2.0 format. Since the AVM 20 apparently has different sub level memories for these two formats, I had to make my sub level adjustments with the test in progress, not paused.

Doug

Brian Florian

Stunt Coordinator
You should be doing measured calibrations once, not with the trims, but with the speaker level setup menu. That's gospel.

Making adjustments (even measured ones) with the trims after that is a matter of taste.

AjayM

Screenwriter
If you are worried about your local dealer not doing the upgrade, then tell him that you have just moved into town. I can't think of a single manufacture that makes you go back to the store you bought the unit from in order to do any kind of after sales work (upgrades, warranty, etc).

Andrew

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Thanks Brian, that's good news.

Just so I'm sure I understand what you're saying, the trim adjustment I might make (say, -10 Db to the sub on the "stereo" input) is active for that input, each time I switch to it? In other words, if I am at the stereo input, then make the said trim adjustment, then switch to AC-3, the trim adjustment goes away. If I switch back to stereo, the trim adjustment I previously made will be applied - correct? If I power off the unit, then power it back on, is the trim adjustment still active?

Evan, thanks. I read that too but interpreted it a little differently, thinking that was for the calibration settings.

Brian Florian

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like you've got it, though I'd avoid the term "input" since the trims we are talking about are not slaved to a given input on the AVM-20, rather they are slaved to an input format.

Savy?

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
Just out of curiosity, does the AVM20 implement balanced circuits internally or does it just have balanced I/O?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
OK, I sent two more e-mails to Sonic Frontiers about the chip upgrade...here is what they said. My questions followed by their answers....
Q: What if I move somewhere that there isn't a locally available Sonic Frontiers dealer? What do I do then?
A: Officially, you would have to send the preamp to a dealer.
Unofficially, if you want to do it yourself, it's really not that hard, but we still haven't decided if we're selling the cards direct. I can pretty much guarantee this: If there's a way for you to obtain it either from us
or from a dealer one way or another, we're not responsible if anything goes wrong.
Follow up question....
Q: My situation is that I'm going on a business trip to Montreal and am looking to buy the Anthem up there. However, I want my local dealer to do the chip upgrade. If he refuses and I have to do it myself, would that void the warranty? Is there somewhere I can send it if that situation happens?
I guess you are right, but I don't want my dealer refusing me just because I can get the unit cheaper in Canada due to the exchange rates being so skewed.
See my point? Thanks for the help.
A: Hi Evan,
I see your point.
Although we can't force a dealer to sell it, why would they want to refuse? They just gained a new customer. Honestly, I can't say what the outcome will be but personally I can't see a dealer refusing. For one thing, they probably won't remember who they sold an AVM20 to, and if they ask questions, just say you just moved into the area. There will be owners of used AVM20s eventually who will need the card too, and the dealers aren't going to be turning everyone away. In the unlikely event that the dealer in your new area actually does refuse, try either the next closest one or the original one. If worse comes to worse, call us and explain the situation. I'm sure something will be worked out if it ever gets to that.
That last sentance was everything I wanted to hear
:D
Tomorrow it's the Evan S/Legairre Anthem test drive;)
One more thing...for those of you who care, I e-mailed Sonic Frontiers about the AVM-20's ability to switch S-Video and Component to Composite signal after the hardware chip upgrade. I expect an answer either from them or the dealer within a day or so. I'll check back tomorrow night with a full report of our first hand look at this unit. This entire thread could be a moot point if the unit doesn't sound good tomorrow.:frowning:

Doug_B

Screenwriter
You should be doing measured calibrations once, not with the trims, but with the speaker level setup menu. That's gospel.
I was doing temporary calibrations while fooling around with sub placement. I understand that the setup menu is the permanent resident of the finalized calibrated results once my setup is stable. After that, I'll fool around with the trims for various modes (Stereo, DD5.1, etc).

BTW, no gospel on my system :p)

Doug

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Evan,
The last couple days have been pretty busy for me. Just wanted to thank you for all the work you've been doing on th AVM20. If I ever go to war I want you watching my back. Theres no doubt in my mind that you'll handle all the details.
Thanks for doing one hell of a job. :emoji_thumbsup:
I guess the email from Brian answers the THX Ultra2:emoji_thumbsup: question. Wow, this thing is so upgradable. No more buying a new unit every couple of years.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
After reading this thread, I'm fairly well convinced to get the AVM-20 once it gets the chip upgrade (I just don't want to go through the hassle of connecting everything twice).

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I know a lot of you have been waiting for a recap of our "test drive" (me and Legairre). I have about 10 e-mails to read through, then I will post a full (long) review of this unit in about 45 minutes.
Early thoughts?:D :D :D :D

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
One more thing before I post the review...here is what the word is from Sonic Frontiers about video switching conversion (S-Video and Composite video to COMPONENT).
From Sonic Frontiers:
Video conversion: Two ways of doing it - cheap way and good way.
Cheap way: A composite signal is fed to filters that separate the brightness and color info into S-Video. Degradation is guaranteed.
Right way: Active circuits that basically do the same thing. Conversion to component can be done, but currently costs around $3000 to do it right.
Whoever said that the AVM20 is getting this is obviously mistaken. The AVM20 video switching is for convenience without degradation. To do conversion while maintaining quality, you really should look into an outboard converter. This is how most "videophiles" prefer to do it.
Too soon to make promises about Ultra 2, but it's possible.
Sorry Alex Yang:frowning:

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Evan,
Thanks for the post and again for your help!!! :) I've already gotten the bad news directly from Sonic Frontiers earlier today... :frowning: Oh well I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too, but if the cake comes with a silver faceplate... :)
I just re-evaluated the AVM20 by reading REALLY reading through the manual (PDF)... I don't think this Video Switching is going to be a deal breaker AFTER all!!!! :)
31 minutes left and counting down to your review!!!! Although unless you and Legaire say something REALLY REALLY bad, please make mine silver!!!
Thanks again!!!!
-Alex
BTW> Which amp to match up to this? I'm thinking either Outlaw's new 770 but after THOROUGHLY checking out Sonic's website their SILVER 5 Channel AMP at 125 WPC (108 WPC ALL channels driven) looks REALLY REALLY sweet, DUAL silver components, mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.