What's new

Anthem AVM-20, Opinions? Convince Me. (1 Viewer)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Evan,

I think I'm using the same though process as you. I really want a pre/pro in the $1500 range. But the though of buying a new one every 2 or 3 years really stinks. I'm sure I'll still go and listen to the Rotel, but I think I'll end up saving a few more months, get the AVM20 and have my upgradable pre/pro for years. I know the Rotel is software upgradable, but that will depend on Rotel actually releasing upgrades. I'm going to listen to the AVM and the Rotel. If there is a substantial differene(which I'm sure there will be) I'll probably end up with the AVM20. Just think a month ago we were both thinking $1500 was a lot. Don't get me wrong it is. It's just that now we are looking at a unit that is twice as much.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Legairre, for the past week or so I have REALLY critically looked at this unit..features, specs, reviews, you name it.
Basically, the thing does everything but start your car in the morning. After the DTS ES and DPL II upgrade, you really are talking about a first class product.
It has a lot of very cool features like a timer for auto on/off, on screen display, upgradability via the internet, 24/192 DAC's, etc. You can even password protect your settings so your friends can't come over and jack up the volume or play with the tone controls. I went to sonic's website and they talked about how as long as you are content with 7.1 source material, they will be able to provide any chip upgrade that can ever be considered by just swapping out the daughter card that interfaces with the motherboard. This unit can handle 4 zones, two separate 7.1 systems, balanced inputs and outputs. It can handle not one but TWO center channels and subwoofers (so you can put one center on top and one below your screen to minimize localization. Everyone I've talked to raves about the unit and specifically say how great it SOUNDS. As the unit is presently stocked it would easily handle my upgrade plans for at least the next two years and with a couple upgrades, could hold me over for 5-8 years EASY, with potential for even longer enjoyment. It really seems like a no brainer. Now if only one of these scratch tickets would pan out.:angry: :D :angry: :D

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Evan, By reading your posts about the Anthem, I will wager that you wiil have one very soon, and if you dont stop tempting me, I will too!!:) :angry:

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
John, I have a funny feeling you may be right!!! If my dealer had 6 months same as cash, I bet you WOULD be right. Unfortunately, they only have 3 months same as cash. I wouldn't be able to come up with 3K in 3 months. Six is another story but three I cannot swing. I really think I can wait until the upgraded version hits the stores. By then my CC will be about 2500 lighter and I'll just go about augmenting it again;)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Evan,

I've been spending a lot of time checking the unit out too. After reading the documentation it makes me realize how with the cheapr unit I'll be just settling instead of getting a FIRST class pre/pro. I know this thread was started so we could convince you TO buy one, but I think I need to start a thread to convince me NOT to buy one. Someover in the Outlaw thread mentioned how getting a cheap pre/pro is exactly that. A cheap pre/pro. The sound will never rival an expensive one. This is something I've been wondering for a long time too. All the articles I've read about pre/pros in the $2000 and under range(Rotel RSP-985, RSP-976, GTP-830 etc.) All talk about how great they are but they usually have some mention of it just falling short of the sound of the more expensive units. Will Outlaw, Rotel and the other really give us the sound of $3000 unit? Or like was mentioned in the Outlaw thread. Are we really just getting what we pay for? I guess the only way to tell would be to take both units home.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Legairre, I was in a high end store the other day, the gifted listener in Centervill Va. I have average equipment as compared to others on this forum. They had a two channel system there that I listened to, I thougt it sounded nice. When I spoke to the owner I asked ho much it cost. He said oh about 128,000 complete with cables
:eek: :eek: Now it sounde nice but not that nice. It had speakers tri-amped with these 9000.00 monoblocks, 1000. power cord etc. Dont remember brand names..Because I basically ran out of the store at that point. My point is that there is a point a diminishing return, that system was probably only 5 percent better sound then a 20,000. system. Everybodies point of diminishing returns is different. For me it ends when I cant really hear a sound difference,as apposed to well it cost more its got to be better. Having said that I still think that the Anthem and others in its class will most assuredly sound better then units costing 900.00 I wont mention any names
:)

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
Ok,

i mentionned i have Anthem fever in an earlier post. I'm beginning to crave this processor and am also looking at a B&K Reference 30 processor as well.

There is only one problem with this scenario. I keep thinking about the Outlaw and what kind of processor we the buyer are getting for our $899. How much could Outlaw actually mark up their processor if they were to decide to sell through a brick and mortar dealer or should i say at retail. Well we have the Atlantic Technology prepro which is a clear reflection of that at almost twice the price. The Anthem and the B&K both have THX processing/licensing which is expensive so you could easily add an extra $500 or more to the cost of the Outlaw or the AT for that matter. So at full retail, i think you would have a $2500 or so processor in the Outlaw. The question lies in the performance, ergonomics and most importantly the sound. There is no doubt that Outlaw is employing quality parts into their 950 and everything is well layed out but the software is what is going to make or break this processor. Being that they are taken their sweet time in perfecting this piece, it should be a good one. Decisions, decisions.

If i were to find a $1500 B&K or a $1700 Anthem i might just jump on it but i get the feeling i will be kicking myself later. I'm sick of waiting like so many but my eye has been on this thread more so than the Outlaw thread over the past couple of days. I would not pay $2500 for this processor since this would break the bank at around 4k Canadian. A used unit is more justifiable and closer in terms of the price of the Outlaw 950.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Serge, why would you be kicking yourself ? if you get a good deal on the b&k or anthem and decided latter that you wanted the Outlaw, no problem just hit ebay and sell it, you wont loss much at all. I dont think of it as a decision that cant be reversed, Heck, what have you got to lose. Besides that if you dont get the b&k or anthem and get the outlaw, You might always have that nagging feeling that you could have done better.

keith fox

Agent
I got my AVM20 at the start of January and matching MCA50 a few weeks later as soon as they shipped. System is breaking in very nicely. I have nothing but good things to say. I will post more later.

I have the MCA50 connected via the balanced inputs. It's construction is very different than the previous MCA5. Worth a look.

Keith

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Keith, I have an MCA-5. Please comment on how the construction differs from the MCA-50 please. I know there are 25 more watts but other than that, what's different?

BrentPollard

Second Unit
Thanks Dennis that's the info I was looking for. I guess the processing upgrades are on their way later DPL II etc. If I indeed choose this unit I will have to find a easy or cheap way to do upgrades as I use a Mac.

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
Brent, you can upgrade the AVM 20 with a Mac very easily.

For a MAC do the following:

a) Using your computer's mouse, double click on the download icon. You will then be asked where to save a file called AVM 20 Software Installer.sea - save it to your computer's desktop.

b) Once complete, it will immediately self extract to a folder called AVM 20 Software Installer, which will be placed on your desktop. You may then delete (trash) the 'AVM 20 Software Installer.sea' file.

iMac, USB-equipped G3, G4:

Expected Availability Mar 1st, 2002

Ensure that your current AVM 20 Setup configuration is saved.

Turn the power switch at the rear of your AVM 20 off, or disconnect the power cord to prevent the possibility of a static discharge when the serial port is connected. Your tuner presets, speaker level settings, bass/treble, etc. are automatically written to memory if the line voltage is disconnected or during a power failure.

Using the serial cable (and adapters for MAC), connect your computer to the AVM 20 to via the 9-pin female RS-232 port on the Rear Panel. Updating does not require moving the AVM 20 or disconnecting it from your system, as long as you can connect your computer to the RS-232 port.

The rear power switch must then be turned on and the AC cord of the AVM 20 must be plugged in, but MAIN, ZONE2, or ZONE3 power does not have to be turned on.

Open the AVM 20 Software Update folder. The 'Read Me First' file lists software changes for this Version and outlines the most current instructions on how to load the Software Upgrade into your AVM 20.

Click (PC) or double click (Mac) on the file called AVM 20 Installer V1.12 in the AVM 20 Software Update folder. Click on the Install Upgrade Now button. In a few minutes the install and verification will be completed. The AVM 20 will then turn itself OFF for a forced re-boot.

Note: The Installer will automatically cycle through three steps - Program Flash, Program EEPROM, and Verify. Do not close the Installer until all of these steps are completed.

Once complete you may disconnect the serial cable from the Rear Panel if you wish.

Turn power ON and adjust the current time (if necessary).

Restore Settings?

You do not need to Restore or Recall any settings after the Update procedure. The AVM 20 will retain the settings that were in use before the Update. You will, however, have to adjust the Current Time, since the internal clock is not active while the AVM 20 is unplugged or while the Update procedure is in progress.

Troubleshooting:

If the Installer keeps returning a message that says "AVM 20 Not Found" after several attempts, restore Factory Settings in the Setup Menu, try installing again, and reload User Settings once the new software is installed. Also, make sure that the serial port on your computer isn't being used by another application, such as docking stations for personal organizers.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
Fantastic, thanks. I guess all I need is the serial adapter then. that has making the AVM-20 choice easier by the minute.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Another great review of this unit right here...
http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...them_avm20.htm
I think I might be able to get this unit from an authorized dealer up in Montreal for less than $2500 US (including tax)..send me an e-mail if you are interested in getting in on the bandwagon. I probably only have room on my CC for 4-5 takers so let me know.;)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Evan,
I've checked out several articles on the AVM20. I just looked at the article in the link you posted. Can someone answer these AVM20 questions for me.
1. It has bass manangement for ALL six analog inputs for SACD/DVD-A?
2. Does it have seperate adjustable crossovers for the mains, center and surrounds(triple crossovers)?
3 It also sounds like sonic frontiers can upgrade the AVM20 through software and chip replacement at a dealer. Essentially making the AVM20 work for any new format as long as you don't need more than a 7.1 system?
4. They are actually providing upgrades to the software(unlike B&K) and will be releasing a chip upgrade for DPLII THX Ultra and a few other things?
If you guys can tell me yes to all of these questions. I'll spend the extra money and have my processor for the future
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
Of course it has to pass my in home demo. Sound always comes first.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Legairre,

Yes to all questions except the triple crossover. To quote Brian Florian in his review on Secrets..."The AVM-20 naturally provides the THX crossover, but in light of many users not having THX speakers, the crossover point is selectable from 40 to 160 HZ in 10 HZ increments (the slopes remain the same). Best results will be obtained when selecting a crossover point handy to, but not below, the natural roll-off point of your speakers. For those who are concerned with having a different crossover point for each speaker, get over it. Although at first glance it sounds like a good idea, it can actually cause more harm than good and makes getting equal low end extension for each channel a real headache, not to mention how problematic it is to sum the output at so many crossover points so close together."

That's just Brian's opinion for what it's worth and seeing as all 5 of my speakers have a low extention around 50 htz, a 60 htz crossover for all 5 universally is not that big a deal for me.

It has bass management for all six analog inputs. The same as I just mentioned above for DVD-A and SACD. They have already released THREE software upgrades on the website in three months and will release the chip upgrade as soon as Motorola gets off their ass.

Hope that helps.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Thanks Evan, Since I run surround subs(I set the rears to large and let the subs handle the crossover for my rear speakers) I only need it for my mains and center. I'd like to crossover my mains at 40hz and my center at 80hz.

I wonder if I could connect my mains using the subs speaker level connections and set the mains to large and at the same time run my .1 LFE cable to the subs LFE input. That way I could control the mains crossover from the subs and still get the LFE channel.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Legairre, Eric, Scott and Curtis. I sent you all an e-mail about this unit. Let me know whats up.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.