What's new

Anthem AVM-20, Opinions? Convince Me. (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
OK, after months and months of waiting for the Outlaw 950, Bruce's post in the 2/15/02 thread about Outlaw saying they will release an "update" at the end of the month tells me they are really farther away than I thought.
I went to www.sonicfrontiers.com and downloaded the literature on the Anthem AVM-20. This really seems like an unbelievable pre/pro. Fully software and Hardware upgradable, just about every input known to man, balanced inputs and outputs, switches 1080p video, bass management on DVD-A and SACD and the reviews are awesome. Now I know it doesn't have DPL II (which I could care less about anyway), but there is a coming upgrade for that. I know it's 3X the Outlaw, but I'm sure my dealer can discount slightly. Plus, I have an Anthem amp already and Paradigm Ref speakers so I'd be keeping it in the family.
Anyone have this piece in their system so they can give me some real world feedback and convince me to give it a shot. I think I might go to my dealer this weekend and set up an in-home demonstration.:D

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Evan- A nice review at the very nice (!) Secret's site:
Link Removed
Also, BIG thread on this unit and the review *somewhere* on HTF about a month or so ago.
And, my impression is that the unit does *not* ship with DTS-ES and DPL II. Supposed to be an upgrade available in March or April or so. But you gotta pay $300 for it or something.
Seems like a really nice piece o' gear. But obviously, more than 3 times as expensive as the Outlaw will be.
Both Rotel and Sherwood have pre/pros coming later this year too.

DennisZ

Agent
Evan, I have the Anthem AVM2 and the AVM20 is even better.

If you can wait for the DTS ES upgrade coming in a few

months I would. The unit is solid and will give you many

years of enjoyment. Sonic Frontier makes some outstanding

gear.

Denny

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Evan,
He we are again. In another pre/pro related thread. You might remember I was looking at the B&K Ref30 and some other pre/pros. Well I also looked at the AVM20 for around $2600 online. I'm like you. I could care less about DPLII. Even the Rotel sounds good for me because I don't see myself going into the SACD world until there are more titles released. So the Rotel could hold me over for a few years. Then I started thinking. Do I buy a cheaper pre/pro and buy again in a few years or do I buy a pre/pro that cost more, but will be mine to use for a long time. The balanced outputs would be a nice feature to take advantage since my 1095 amp has them too, and my interconnect length is 15 feet.
I can't help you, because I can even help myself:frowning: . I'm very tempted to get the AVM20, but I guess I'll wait to hear the new pre/pros first. Your right though. That AVM20 sure is tempting.:)
I also email Sherbourn today to see if I can get some specs for their pre/pro that is rumored for April. Looks we will be able to choose from Rotel, Outlaw, AT, Sherbourn all by Mar-Apr and Sherwood in Sept. Sept just to late for me though.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Legairre, me and you are like two twins separated at birth!!!
You know, when I announced to the whole world that I was upgrading my entire system everybody wanted to know when they could come over for "movie night" (that was 4 months ago). Since then I have 5 speakers scattered amongst 2 different rooms breaking in on two systems. I have to hook my SACD player into a two channel 20 year old receiver just to get maximum value out of it and cannot even utilize multi-channel. I have an amp I've used for one week tops just to make sure it works sitting unplugged at the bottom of my TV armoire.
If I got the AVM-20, I would completely blow the biggest hole in my HT budget that you would ever see. But I'm really starting to lose patience with Outlaw here to the point that I'm dubious to any claim they make in ANY e-mail to the public. Also, in 2 channel mode, I highly doubt it sounds as good as the AVM-20 anyway. I only have a 5.1 setup right now and won't go to 7.1 for a couple years anyway (and would need another 2 channel amp to do so), so all the special surround modes are just the icing on the cake. I want the actual cake. If and when I get my system to the point to take advantage of these formats, then maybe I'll get the upgrade to the Anthem or put to use the extra formats in the Outlaw. But, it would be hypocritical to my signature line to at least not try out the Anthem in my home. Depending on what kind of discount I can get off retail, I may have to take the plunge. You only live once.:D
By the way, where on-line did you find it?

Curtis_Edwards

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe someone can put together a GROUP BUY with there dealer and see if we can get a steep discount.

Also, where online did you guys find the AVM-20 for $2600?

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I found it a these two places. I don't know if they are authorized or not, but like I said it's around $2600. On one of the sites I went and put in the shipping info and changed the shipping to ground and the shipping charge was only $27. Not too bad.
I'm not using a 7.1 setup now either so that would be icing for me too. For me the AVM20 has everything I want as well. Except it would put a big hole in my HT budget too.
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/legacy2/anavnewmod.html
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/sstheater/anthemavm20.html

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Evan, I also think the Anthem avm-20 will sound fantastic. I was under the impression that you thought the Outlaw would sound as good as a 2500~3500 pre-pro. Anyways I agree that the Anthem would be a big step up performance wise..I have listened to this briefly at my local dealer, but they want much more then the prices quoted here..thanks

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
John, I actually DO think the Outlaw will sound like a $2500 pre-pro. The question is when will it sound like a $2500 pre-pro? February? March? August?
Right now it sounds like a $0 pre-pro and is making my $1000 amplifier sound like a $0 amplifier.
I'm already making payments on the gear I recently upgraded. What's another 3-4 months of payments? ($1700 additional expense for the Anthem spread out with my normal CC payment of $500/mth)?
I have a funny feeling if I wait on Outlaw, I could be posting to this thread in May. Also, now might be the time to buy the Anthem seeing you can maybe haggle with the dealer seeing as there is no DPL II. When the new units ship with this upgrade, getting the dealer to come down off MSRP might be more difficult.
Also, I noticed a reviewer at www.audioreview.com bought this unit at my local dealer (the audio store in Newington) and quoted the price paid. Seems like it will be very easy to get it for $2750 here at home with that info.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Evan, point well taken and I can say I know exactly what you all talking about with the payment thing. One good thing about buying from your local dealer is that you can always get that 6 month same as cash deal. That way I can pay it off before wifey catches me:) If I use the credit card I get busted...
On an unrelated to Anthem note. Have you or anybody else thought about something like the Parasound 2500u with their circle surround unit. I know its not dts-es and dpl II but I bet it would sound incredible for the MONEY. I see one one ebay for 1025.00 right now and the circle adapter can be had for about 250.00 Thanks

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Evan,
Why in the world did you have to mention that there is even the slightest possiblity of gettng an AVM here in CT for $2750. Your absolutely right. We are like twins. As you know I work in Hartford. The Audio Store is not that far from me. When it's mail order it's so much easier to resist.
Must resist, :angry: must not go to Audio Store:angry: . Not even to demo AVM20:angry: . Must go straight home:angry: from work everyday. :angry: Must go straight home.:angry:
Aghhhhhhhhhh

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Evan and Legaire,

If $2600 for a prepro will blow your HT budget, don't do it. There are other important of the HT: speakers, subs, video display, etc.....

You can get an Adcom gtp830 prepro (similiar dac configuration to renown GDC750 cd and GDA700 dac) for ~ $900. Or a nice Onkyo 898 or Sony DA5ES receiver for $1000 (jandr, onecall, or oade). One of these should keep you happy for a least 6-9 months (when the sherwood, outlaw, other prepros should be out), and you wouldn't lose more than $200 on resale (if that). And you'd also have something current to compare against the Outlaw prepro when it finally does ship.

Curtis_Edwards

Stunt Coordinator
Both the above stores only seem to have the black unit for that price. Neither one give you the silver as the color option. DAMN DAMN DAMN.
I guess I am back to trying to fight with my dealer to get a good deal on a silver one. It is been very difficult to do and to think that I had bought my AVM-2 and FULL setup of Paradigm Active 40's and Center from them. Still they give me no love. :frowning:
So for anyone out there that can recommend a nice dealer willing to work with customers on price, please let me know.
Location is not important as long as I have someone that I can contact at the places.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Ricky, your argument has merit, however, the Pre/Pro is the FINAL piece in my HT puzzle. I have recently upgraded all other aspects, cables, Amp, Speakers. The Processor is the only thing I lack. Getting this unit wouldn't prohibit me from getting other gear, it would only require a few more payments. If this was my first purchase, I wouldn't even be considering it for I would have to skimp elsewhere. In this case, I wouldn't be skimping, but splurging:D

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Evan,

Yes, but if you splurge for the final piece...make sure you get the right/dream prepro for a few years. Don't compromise. If you splurge with the wrong piece, you may not have enough funds left when the right piece comes along a few months later.....

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Ricky, True, but it's the age old argument. Buy now and enjoy a great piece, or do what myself and hundreds of other Outlaw Audio backers have been doing...waiting for that "dream" piece and missing out in the meantime. There will always be a "bigger and better". I'm usually someone who looks back on 99% of purchases with no regret. Trust me, if I audition this piece and find it in any way unsatisfactory, I'll move on and wait for something else. I'm usually not this impatient, but in this and other aspects of my life lately it seems like patience is a commodity in short supply.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I guess I'm exaggerating a bit. It won't really blow my HT budget, but it would mean putting off the new speakers I wanted this year until next year. I gave myself a $1500 limit last Nov, and my wife told me to spend up to $2000 if I want to. If I really wanted to I could get away with an extra $700. I'd much rather stay in the $1500 and below range. That leaves more to spend on ther things. I really do have the will power to to wait and check out the new pre/pros coming out soon, but tha AVM20 SURE looks good. Otherwise my whole 2002 buget would be spent on a pre/pre. Nope I can wait. Actually if I didn't come here everyday it wouldn't be so temping.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Legairre, I think I'm going to wait too. However, unlike you I WILL go to the Audio Store to look at the piece, see it in action (with their associated equipment) and possibly take it home for an in-house. I have a feeling that this might be a bad move for me if it sounds as advertised, but that's half the fun in audio, no? I may not be able to get down there for a couple weeks so if Outlaw surprises everyone with a release date, Anthem may not even get an opportunity to showcase their wares. I have a funny feeling that WON'T be the case however.
I just went on-line and looked at my credit card bill and that tempered my enthusiasm for just running out and giving the Anthem a whirl.:frowning: But I do want to see it in person regardless. I'll post my thoughts in a bit.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
legairrie, I know you really want a pre-pro but I see your using a denon 3300 as a pre.I have owned the denon 3200,3300, 3801 and now the 4802. If you like the Denon 3300 I think you would love the 4802 especially for music in pure direct mode, movies have better seperation as well. You can pick up one for 1600.00 now and sell it in 6 months for a couple hundred less. This actually goes along with what Ricky was saying. I can also vouch for the Adcom GTP-830 as I had it for a couple of weeks, the sound was crystal clear, it has 7.1 matrix but no dpl II or dts-es and is light on a few other features. To be honest I could do without those two features if it means better everything else.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Evan,

Your a MUCH better man than I am. I'm not going within several miles of the Audio Store. If I go in there and take it home for a demo and it sounds great. THAT BABIES NEVER GOING BACK. For me the best thing is not to even go in the store. Now that I think about it I'm not even going on the Berlin Turnpike. Way too tempting.

John,

I really want a true pre/pro. I did read about the GTP-830 in the recent issue of The Perfect Vision. It sounds like it's pretty good. Like you said, kind of light on features, but sounds great. Right now the Rotel 1066 is on the top of my listening list. The AT and, if the Sherbourn is in the price range I'd like to check it out too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.