What's new

Anthem AVM-20 New Chipset (1 Viewer)

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Ah, technicalities? Free, schmee. ;)
I see what you're saying. From your standpoint, since you were not privy to what your list price was at the time, I can see your point.
However, seeing that until now, the upgrade had not been released and there has been no indication that the original list price of $3199 has been changed, I would assume that your price was based on $3199 list.
Also the thought crossed my mind: what kind of uproar would it have caused if SF started charging those new customers with the new chipset (but no software upgrade) an extra $300 for something they can't use prior to today's software release? That would basically equate to a promise of an upgrade to justify the extra cost. That would be a tough nut to swallow not knowing when the upgrade would come.
Anyhow, sorry to put a damper on the festivities but I'm sure there are AVM20 owners that would like the upgrade but are waffling on the "alleged" $300 cost. I would not have paid $300 for the upgrade....but if it's free, I'd gladly take it. :emoji_thumbsup:
Bob "still in-waiting"

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Yes.. Speculation and technicalities. Dangerous roads to travel in the path of life at all levels.
I am not even sure what the list price is/was on the Anthem with/or without the new board. I thought is was 3K with the old chipset.
If you add the $3-400 my thought process was $3300-3400. I could live with the short discount at that number.
My price ranges on the product varied from $2200 in Vancouver Canada to $2900. Large range of pricing, but my reason for buying this 30 minutes from my house was because of the firm commitment from the local that the new board would be in the box.
Traveling back and forth for hours to a dealer is not my idea of fun these days and I did not want to have to slug it out if the new chip was not in the box.
No dampner on this end of the festivities, but we have to wait until the detailed information is released from Anthem about the upgrade process.
By the way Bob, you were the 100'th poster on this thread. You win a free upgrade courtesy of the HTF website!! :D :D

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
No problem. Local servicing is important. I feel the same way. My local HT store agreed to service my broken Rotel amp even though I bought it through Audiogon. That's the perks of buying locally and establishing a good relationship with the HT shop.

Most of my major purchases are (or will be) local as long as I can get them local. However, I won't pay list price for anything as an exception to that rule. If I get an AVM20, it will not be local as both shops will not budge off of $3199 list.

Yeah, I saw I'm #100. Great to see this much activity and support from AVM20 owners.

Bob

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Chas,
Seeing as the upgrade was supposed to cost $300-$400, the dealer cost on that is maybe $150 or less (probably way less), I'm willing to bet your dealer was willing to eat that than lose the sale (and several hundred $ in profit). Just a thought. Either way, as long as both parties are happy...

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"SO has the upgrade been released or am I missing something?"

No announcement yet. But you must remember that there has not been one comment on Sonic Frontier's site about a forthcoming upgrade for the AVM-20. This has been word-of-mouth through forum members and side contacts with Sonic Frontiers. I am as excited as the next AVM-20 owner (or soon to be owner!) about this upgrade, but I will believe it when I see it (having already been disappointed on the "upgradability" issue with my last processor).

As far as the upgrade cost is concerned, I expected to pay extra for an upgrade that was described at the time as DPLII and DTS-ES. The fact that it appears to include Ultra II and separate speaker crossovers is icing on the cake. If it costs me $300 as a long-time (5 months) owner but a more recent AVM-20 purchaser gets it for free, all I can say is congrats to the new owner. I wouldn't trade the last 5 months of audio enjoyment to save that $300.

Here's hoping that the latest rumor is indeed true.

Michael

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
No word yet. I guess we will see tomorrow. I think I check the site about 1000 times/hour.
Marc

Camp

Senior HTF Member
ADDITIONAL SURROUND SOUND MODES

Introducing the AVM 20 v2.0
We are very pleased to announce the launch of the AVM 20 v2.0 with the new 56367 DSP Board and v2.00 software. The AVM 20 v2.0 adds the following features to the current AVM 20:

Additional Surround Sound Modes

AnthemLogic-Music Anthem's proprietary music surround mode expands the stereo soundstage up to 6.1 channels of output without any loss of sonic purity. (No center channel.)

AnthemLogic-Cinema Anthem's proprietary movie mode lets you experience 7.1 channels of full-impact HT from any stereo analog source (VCR, TV) or any DD-2.0 source (SAT, DVD).

Dolby Pro Logic II Music Can be used with stereo music to create 5.1 channels of output.

Dolby Pro Logic II Movie Next-generation decoding for improved spatiality and directionality.

Dolby Digital EX Decodes the rear channel information on DD-5.1 EX material.

DTS Neo:6 Music Can be used with stereo music material to create 6.1 channels of output.

DTS Neo:6 Cinema 6.1 matrix decoder that can be used with all matrix-encoded movies.

DTS-ES Matrix The AVM 20 will automatically engage DTS Neo:6 to decode DTS-ES Matrix 6.1.
DTS Neo:6 can also be applied to DTS-5.1 material that is not DTS-ES Matrix encoded.

DTS-ES Discrete The AVM 20 will automatically engage DTS-ES Discrete to decode 6.1 channels.

THX Ultra2/THX Surround EX The AVM 20 now includes four optional THX surround modes
THX Cinema, THX Ultra2 Cinema, THX MusicMode and THX Surround EX.

With the addition of all of the these new surround modes we have deleted all other 'Effects' modes (i.e., Church, Hall, Club, Theater and Stadium) that were in the previous AVM 20.

SPEAKER CONFIGURATION

Advanced Settings: The AVM 20 v2.0 provides greater flexibility in tailoring Crossover Frequency settings. Now you can select a crossover point for each speaker group and subwoofer. You can also optimize subwoofer bass performance by making precise Phase and Polarity adjustments.

THX Audio Setup: Allows you to adjust 'rear' speaker spacing in a 7.1 setup to ensure an optimal surround soundfield when applying THX modes. Includes Boundary Gain Compensation to improve bass balance in rooms where subwoofer placement causes a 'boomy' quality of bass

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Looks very sexy!

I am glad they erased all those silly (IMO) sound modes like 'Hall'. A waste for me. Terrific list. I can't wait to get home and fire it on.
Marc

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I'm very interested in AnthemLogic. I remember someone posting what was then a rumor that Anthem was interested in challenging Logic7 with a replacement for Cinema Logic. I hope for more than just a name change.
Anyone call their dealer yet about the hardware upgrade? My serial number is only 33 below the cut-off of the old DSP. Just missed it! :)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Wow, I am really hard-pressed to come up with something that Anthem left out. Even what they took away won't be missed (as noted by Camp). Besides adding separate speaker crossovers, adding phase AND polarity adjustments to the subwoofer is a rare feature indeed (what other processor does this? Theta CBII?).
Now, if I can just get in contact my local dealer who I bought our AVM-20 from. They do not open until 11:00am out here on the west coast, so I am sure I will be behind the chip upgrade queue! :)
Michael

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like the notch filter didn't make it but still a lot of great features. I'm interested in the AnthemLogic sound modes. Unlike the other DSP modes I found CinemaLogic useful in some situations. I wonder how much AnthemLogic improves upon it

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"I'm interested in the AnthemLogic sound modes. Unlike the other DSP modes I found CinemaLogic useful in some situations. I wonder how much AnthemLogic improves upon it/
I wonder if it has changed or if it is a renamed DSP, since they now have a music version of AnthemLogic. AnthemLogic - Music does not use the center speaker, while AnthemLogic - Cinema does.
It looks like you have the option to set a single, global crossover for all speakers (good for THX and similar systems), or enter an advanced menu to set separate crossovers, including one for the subwoofer (I wonder how this has been implemented). In addition, the previous crossover was 40-160Hz with 10Hz increments. The new crossover is 25-160Hz with 5Hz increments.
I think I got drool all over my copy of the user's manual already! :b
Michael

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Amazing list of feature additions. It's got to put this pre/pro near the top of the heap especially at the price.

What about cost? At this point, it would appear that only the owners who don't have the new chipset *could* be charged. Since it hasn't been mentioned, I would appear that there is no charge for the upgrade at all.

Can anyone confirm?

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Bob-N, under the 'upgrade your avm-20' tabe it says this:
'COST & PROCEDURE FOR UPGRADING THE AVM 20 TO v2.0
The AVM 20 is designed to be hardware and software upgradeable. This means that all AVM 20's can be upgraded to the new v2.0 feature set. Upgrading requires installation of our new 56367 DSP Board plus v2.00 software, as follows:
1. Check your AVM 20's Serial Number (S/N). S/N'#s 121167 or lower require the 56367 DSP board as well as v2.00 software as follows:
a. The 56367 DSP Board installation including v2.00 software has an FMV of $300 US ($450 CDN).
b. This installation can be performed by Authorized Anthem™ Dealers with qualified service personnel. Contact your Authorized Anthem™ Dealer for more information.
c. This installation can also be done at the factory. All AVM 20's shipped to us for upgrade require prior authorization and must be shipped prepaid and insured. Please call Sonic Frontiers International at 905-828-4575 or email [email protected] and request the 'AVM 20' 56367 Upgrade. Payment is in advance by VISA or MasterCard only. Once the upgrade has been completed, the AVM 20 will be returned prepaid.
2. S/N #'s 121168 or higher already have the new 56367 DSP Board and only require installation of the v2.0x software as follows:'
So, the people with the old DSP have to pay. New DSP owners do not.
Marc

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Marc, got it. I should have looked at the website before I typed.

I find it a bit of a bummer for the "early adopters" who didn't get the new chipset included in their units. But I guess it's always been that way. I know my car went though that with the addition of features in new cars that were included at no charge in later model years.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks