What's new

Anthem AVM-20 New Chipset (1 Viewer)

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
I would hope and almost EXPECT them to do seperate x-overs for all the channels. That is about the last big thing they do not have that others are doing.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Ron or anyone:

One of the sales guys at a store I frequent often mentioned the upgrade would include seperate crossovers settings and notch filter. I wouldn't take that as a confirmation but it's something to hope for.
Excuse my density here, but which processor are you referring to in this quote? The Anthem, Modial or B&K new AVM-40/50??

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"I would hope and almost EXPECT them to do seperate x-overs for all the channels. That is about the last big thing they do not have that others are doing."

In addition to the Anthem AVM-20, the Rotel DSP-1066, Integra Research RDC-7, and the Bryston SP1.7 (to name a few) have a single, global crossover, and these processors have been released and/or upgraded more recently than the AVM-20. Not exactly a bad grouping, if you ask me.

But I would agree that it would be great if Anthem did indeed provide for separate crossovers in the next upgrade.

Michael

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the latest RDC-7 upgrade offered this. I have no idea on the others. Maybe its Motorola's fault that we do not have it.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"I thought the latest RDC-7 upgrade offered this."

The RDC-7 upgrade added crossover options instead of the fixed 80Hz crossover, but it is still global.

"I have no idea on the others."

The Rotel has been discussed quite extensively here, and the Bryston SP1.7 was my choice to replace the Lexicon MC-1 we owned at the time before deciding on the AVM-20. Both have global crossovers like the AVM-20.

"Maybe its Motorola's fault that we do not have it."

The price Anthem and others pay for not developing their own software. OTOH, I have heard great processor software that sounded mediocre musically, so there are tradeoffs in this world (given a reasonable cost).

Michael

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
I asked my Anthem guy two questions this morning via email:

1) When is the code going to be ready.
2) What will I need when the code is ready? Do I have to buy anything since I have the new chipset already?

He replyed:

We are days away from release, your patience will soon be rewarded.

He did not answer #2.

Brian

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
I asked my Anthem guy two questions this morning via email:
Thanks for the update Brian. Days sounds wonderful to me.
Answer number 2, or a lack of a response leaves speculation again doesn't it?
I've only owned this piece for about 2 weeks. The more I listen to it, the more I am a very, very happy camper. The 2 channel output is outstanding in both analogue direct and analogue/DSP.
I also love the Super setting on the sub menu. On some 2 channel material I've been experimenting with large/small settings and some of the listening is wonderful with the large speaker/super sub setting.
Still tweaking. :D

Paul Gere

Second Unit
or Acurus Act 3 owners waiting to upgrade or trade in... for those of you not aware of it, Mondial Designs announced a trade in/upgrade program 10 months ago and so far nothing!"
Craig, feel your pain - er, FELT it, anyway. Exactly why I sold my ACT-3 and bought the Anthem AVM-20 about a month ago. C'mon over to the Ahtnem, you won't regret it!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Joe e h

Stunt Coordinator
I am enjoying the Anthem AVM-20 very much. I will probably go with the upgrade but am not waiting around for it. I went from a Yamaha receiver to an Anthem AVM-20 & Rotel RMB-1095.

The one thing I would like to see is seperate output settings for Sub 1 & Sub 2. I know this is not very realistic, but it would be nice. I use the Sub 2 to run 2 Clark Tactile Transducers.

I have not talked to my autorized dealer, but am not to worried about the price.

Joe

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
Paul,
totally understand you selling the Act3 and going to the Anthem. don't know if you remember me, i was the guy you talked to on the phone about how to get the 5V out of the Act3 to trigger the 12V in on your amp.
i spoke to Steve at Aragon today, he told me that while he is kept in the dark, he has heard rumors of "this fall", which jives with things that have been reported elsewhere. while i imagine how frustrating it has been for other Acurus owners, financially it works out much better for me that the trade in/upgrade happens in the next couple of months rather than earlier this year. i would only have been able to get the upgrade then, where i can afford the trade in and will be able to get a "real" Stage One now. since i am only recently in this position, it feels like my wait has only just started.

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
I have had my AVM 20 since the end of November '01 and remain very happy with it in all respects. In fact, for the first time in my life I can read Stereophile, Audio Ideas Guide, Perfect vision, etc. and not get hardware envy. I use my system 60/40 music, CD & DVD-A, and I am invariably left very satisfied after a couple of hours quality listening. IMHO there is no better way to unwind after a day at the office. For this reason I am a little reluctant to go for the upgrade right away. If the upgrade is rushed, and shipped with a glitch of some sort, the loss of use of my system for days or weeks would be difficult to handle. The saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" keeps running through my head. I am likely to delay my upgrade to see how it goes.

That said, I would like to thank everyone for posting their thoughts and experiences on this forum. It is a great way to learn.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Yes, the Anthem is a great piece of equipment. The more I listen to my collection of CD's, the more I appreciate the sonics.

I am curious about connections on the Anthem and perhaps this could be another thread, but I'll just ask it here.

What are you using to connect the Anthem to your power amps. Balanced, RCA and what brand?

I am currently using Cat Cables Coppercats with RCA connectors. I wanted copper because I thought the Silver might be to bright for my Paradim Studio 100's with a Sony receiver I was using for a pre-out.

When I ordered the Cat's, I did not know I was going to buy the Anthem. This site creates motivation for upgrades. I think the Anthem has helped smooth out the Paradigm's very much.

Also, I am thinking of moving to Better Cables Silver series XLR Balanced.

I did a cost comparrison of the Better Cables and then the Cat Cables and the Better Cables are much less expensive.

I'm NOT trying to turn this is a cable thread. Just curious if you are using RCA or balanced and what brand. Still searching for audio excellence here. Thanks...

Charles

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
I am using basic Ultralink RCA's to connect my AVM 20 to an MCA 5. I plan on going to Ultralink balanced balanced when I move up to 7.1. I have heard good things about the balanced connections on this equipment, even for short runs. My preference for Ultralink is based on my perception of the limited cost/benefit ratio of cables. A well designed & made cable does not have to be "boutique expensive".
I do not wish to start any type of debate here but I would report an audible improvement, with my 100's v2, in HF characteristics & sound-stage when changing from bi-wired 10Ag LF/12awg HF to 27/9 Cat 5 wires as per the Chris VenHaus recepie. This recepie is at www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html. They were a pain to make but the cost/benefit ratio is very high here given the minimal cost to make. After running the Cat 5 wires for a number of months now, I have made a short 27/9 wire for my Studio CC. I will be buying the Ultra link spades & bannanas (again Ultralink as they reasonably priced and very well made) today and anticipate similar HF improvement. It will be interseting to see if there is any change in soundstage with DVD-A (multi channel). I suspect it is the improved "air" or "blackness" around each instrument or voice that altered the soundstage of the 100's with the Cat 5 wires.

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne, I use the same cables for my speakers. Thew work great. The one thing I did change in design was not to keep braiding. That is I was reading on other web sites that too much braiding is overkill. The fact that I left each pair braided. and then twisted 14 pairs into one wire should have the same effect. (As a matter of fact AudioQuest goes to great length not to braid). I do not know who right and I have not tried to do a comparason, but I like the way mine sound just fine. I used AudioQuest BFA banana jacks at the end to bi-wire. For my Proceed which does not accept banana, I used XLO spades. I also covered the wire with a flexible covering and color coded heat shrink. They look pretty good too.
I use AudioQuest Vipers for the front 3 speaker intereconnects (Marantz DV8300 -> AVM20 -> Proceed/MCA) and Monster 550M's for the rest. All connection from AVM20->AMPs are balanced Vipers (front 3) or Kimber PBJ (for rest)

Paul Gere

Second Unit
Craig,
Yes, I clearly remember our conversation. Thanks again for your help! Good luck with your upgrade - - the Stage One is indeed an amazingly impressive pre/pro! I would have done the same as you, as I had been very Acurus/Aragon loyal, but I just ran out of patience and optimisim. Your patience will be well rewarded, me thinks!!

Regarding interconnects, I'm using Analysis Plus Copper Ovals between my CD player, AVM-20 and power amp (Parasound HCA-2205A).

-Paul

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
Paul, how do you like the sound of hte Analysis Plus inteconnects? Have you compared them to anything else in conjuction with the AVM-20?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks