What's new

Anthem AVM-20 New Chipset (1 Viewer)

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
I'll wait until Anthem verifies that they are shipping units with the new chip. This has not happened to date.
HI Bill,

They are shipping units with the new chip. I think that has already been verified. However, you may mean until you receive some type of news letter or formal communication from Anthem.

When I ordered my piece, the dealer told me directly they were shipping with the new chip. He spoke with his sales rep. and he confirmed the new chip/board was being installed.

However, as we all know, the software version is 1.16 and not the 2.0 to take full advantage it's newer DSP abilities.

That is what you may be referring to in your post. You want the complete system with the 2.0 and the new board and I understand that.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Thanks Chas,
I was about to say the same thing. The new DSP IS there. I saw it and called Anthem and they varified it. Like chas said, it is not being fully utilized...yet..(time to check the anthem site).

The black looks pretty nice, but I REALLY like my silver.
Marc

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Chas,
You put the correct words in my mouth. ;)
The new software release is (fingers crossed) hoped to be debuted at CEDIA at the end of September. Apparently Motorola has dropped the ball when it came time to write the code to implement DPLII in their new chip. I am told that Anthem is working feverishly to get the update out but that they have no interest in rushing a buggy upgrade to market. That is refreshing to me given the horror stories of *other* product that has been released with buggy software. Regards.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Bill, Are you saying that the new motorola chip does NOT have DPLII? Can you please clarify that statement because the Sunfire TGIII that has the same chip does have DPLII.
Marc

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
Are you saying that the new motorola chip does NOT have DPLII?
it's in the chip, but the firmware in the pre/pro doesn't "know" it's there, so doesn't use it. the upgrade consists of both a hardware change (to the new chip) and a software change (to take advantage of the increased abilities of the new chip).

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Thanks Craig, that is what my understanding was. However, Bill's statement :'Apparently Motorola has dropped the ball when it came time to write the code to implement DPLII in their new chip. ' introduces a bit of ambiguity (if correct). Is he saying that Motorola didn't put the code on the chip for DPLII or is he saying that Motorola did put DPLII on the chip BUT did not deliver the firmware/software support for it and Anthem has to figure it out themselves? That is what I wanted clarification on.
Marc

GordonL

Supporting Actor
There are at least 3 or 4 processors that I know of that use the new Motorola chip. Possibly the reason Anthem is late getting the code is because the other manufacturers designed their processors with that chip from the start and were first in line to get the code. Anthem, being the late comer, and because it's an upgrade, needed further code customization and possibly even re-certification from THX. I don't think it's as simple as taking the stock code and dropping it in.

Michael Langdon

Stunt Coordinator
Gordon,

You are correct. The Aragon Stage One is an example of a newer processor that uses the new Motorola chip. From what I understand, I would say that each manufacturer has their own coders. I have talked with the Aragon Stage One designer/coder and talked about the issues they had getting to market (THX certification, etc.). Also, it was relayed to me in a conversation with Sonic Frontiers last month that the new code was a challenge for the new chip. I know the Aragon Stage One designer mentioned that the new Motorola chip in their unit was full as far as available room for code is concerned. The Stage One has the following formats: DD, THX-EX, DTS, DTS ES Discrete & Matrix, DTS Neo:6, DPLII. The Stage One is also THX Ultra2 certified. I only point out the formats and certification to give an idea of how much coding is indeed involved. The Aragon designer also pointed out that they were wanting to get to market earlier, but the THX certification was very rigourous. THX even dictated how THX related items were accessed in system menus.

Paul Gere

Second Unit
Patrick,
The black actually looks even better than the photo above. It's got sort of a brushed aluminum look that dosen't translate well in any photo I've seen. Very, very nice. (of course Silver looks great as well, but I just prefer black for my system).

Great thread, guys! Looking forward to tracking its progress.

Cheers,
-Paul

Steve*MH

Stunt Coordinator
Not to change the subject, but a question for Marc_E. Being a dealer and in communication with SF on a regular basis, can you verify if Anthem is planning a new line of "higher-end" products called an "Anthem Statement"line that would include an SSP and Multichannel amp in the $5,000 range with the next rung up in features and build quality--perhaps on level with the former Sonic Frontiers line. I have heard this rumor from other dealers and that news may appear at the CEDIA this year. Can you verify if such a line exists or is going to be introduced in the near future? Love to see an Anthem SSP with a LCD preview monitor found on some new SSPs. Thanks for any info.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
The B&K owners will be very happy in short order.
The B&K news will come via CEDIA.;)
Not a big update for the Ref 30 when you think about it,
But for those with the Ref 20, from many years ago will have current technology from a piece made 4 years ago.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
We should always ensure there is an AVM-20 thread active. Even if we loose track of what we're talking about. :)

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
We should always ensure there is an AVM-20 thread active. Even if we loose track of what we're talking about.
Considering we started with looking up the AVM-20's dress with a flashlight so to speak, :D this thread has gone in many different directions.

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
One of the sales guys at a store I frequent often mentioned the upgrade would include seperate crossovers settings and notch filter. I wouldn't take that as a confirmation but it's something to hope for.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Steve*MH,
I actually am not a dealer, just someone who owns an AVM-20 and LOVES it. Sorry, can't provide you with any information on that line.

Time to check the site and maybe a phone call today!
Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks