What's new

Anthem AVM-20 New Chipset (1 Viewer)

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
John, are those covered in the cost of the chip? This alone could be a show stopper for us getting a free upgrade. That is an excellent point.

The process flow and testing on this upgrade should have been to test the NEW chip with the NEW code they are writing before they ship either one individually or collectively.
There was a point where Anthem was not shipping ANY processors. At least to my dealer (who is the largest Anthem dealer, 2nd largest Paradigm dealer in New England) It lasted for about 6 weeks that way. Now he gets them in pretty steady, all with 1.16. This new chipset and code could explain 1) why the delay in shipping units out and 2) why the upgrade was delayed for so long, they had to get 1.16 ready so they could keep selling units. Again just speculation.

I also remember the Antehm rep telling me a ways back that they were hoping to have THX Ultra 2 in the version 2.00 upgrade if they could work out the licensing agreement in time. So John's point is very concerning to me. THANKS JOHN for raining on my parade!!!

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
When onkyo had their last upgrade (before the recent hardware upgrade) on the TX-DS989 (I owned this prior to the AVM-20) the software upgrade for DTS-ES (Matrix and discrete), DPLII was $50. I would not mind at all paying $50. Not even $100 would be too bad if it was a software-only, in-my-house deal and I didn't have to break the thing down and lug it to my dealer so he could swap a board. I just want the thing ASAFP!
I do think that the licensing is already taken care of because when you play a DTS track with THX engaged, the readout says DTS-ES+THX. It already does matrix decoding. The true answer remains to be seen...soon.
Marc

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Brian,

The correct answer is 3) Anthem came completely under the Audiostream umbrella this spring and the manufacturing plant was disassembled and moved to a new location where they commenced production again. They also underestimated demand for the product in a big way. Supply lines are now restored.

My suggestion to everyone is this. Patiently wait and Anthem will give you what you want. There has been (much) speculation about the upgrade for the last 5 months or so. I've posted (as a dealer) information that I have received from Sonic Frontiers and my information has been 100% accurate to date. However, I've been slammed in these threads in the past and I'll no longer contribute the information about the upgrades that I know to be fact and not fiction (as is 99% of what has been posted about the upgrades in the past). Regards.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
So does the new avm-20 have DPLII yet, I wouldn't pay that much for a pre-pro that didn't have that. The new avm-20 with the motorola chip will have the same processing power as the Pioneer Vsx-45tx. Don't want to offend anybody but the specs on the avm-20 wouldn't justify the cost for me, it seems as if they are going alittle cheap and your just paying for the brand name. But it's cool that they use balanced inputs though.

Daniel Smith

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
So does the new avm-20 have DPLII yet, I wouldn't pay that much for a pre-pro that didn't have that. The new avm-20 with the motorola chip will have the same processing power as the Pioneer Vsx-45tx. Don't want to offend anybody but the specs on the avm-20 wouldn't justify the cost for me, it seems as if they are going alittle cheap and your just paying for the brand name. But it's cool that they use balanced inputs though
Daniel, no offense, but you have obviously never heard an AVM-20. I have the Anthem unit with the older chip running the 1.12 software. I keep abreast of the upgrade path because I'm curious, but I am in no way shape or form feeling like I need this upgrade.

Even with the older specs, I wouldn't trade my Anthem for anything Pioneer has ever manufactured. That's just how good I feel this unit SOUNDS. Again, YMMV.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Camp,

LOL!!

I remember when you got your AVM-20. You insisted that it would have the new chip and upgrade because your dealer (who apparently knew little) told you it would. That wasn't the case, was it?

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
So does the new avm-20 have DPLII yet, I wouldn't pay that much for a pre-pro that didn't have that. The new avm-20 with the motorola chip will have the same processing power as the Pioneer Vsx-45tx. Don't want to offend anybody but the specs on the avm-20 wouldn't justify the cost for me, it seems as if they are going alittle cheap and your just paying for the brand name. But it's cool that they use balanced inputs though.
Specs are just that, specs. And most of the time they have nothing to do with the sound. I can find a $500 Sony Reciever with the same specs as your vsx-45tx (except for power), but that in no way means it sounds nearly as good.

In the case of the Anthem, it is reguarded as one of the best buys on the market. Are there better sounding processors, yes, but not for near the same amount of money. Of course this is just my opinion and that fact that most people do not even spend $2000 (present company excluded) on their entire system, let alone a Reciever/Processor.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Bill,
You have a poor memory. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ghlight=Anthem
I did start a thread after my ignorant dealer told me my unit would have the new DSP pre-installed. Obviously, he was incorrect but I never "insisted" my unit had the chip. In fact if you read the thread you'll see I was very skeptical of my dealer's claims.
If you want to nitpick, let's do so. You were, in fact, wrong about units shipping with the new DSP installed.
You know I'm an Anthem dealer. I have been in contact with Anthem about the upgrade for clients each and every week. My information is fact. Anything else that has been posted is rumor and is not verifiable
Shortly after my thread people started posting about receiving AVM-20's running version 1.16. We now know those units contain the updated DSP. If your info is always fact why didn't you return with a post indicating updated units were shipping?
Bill, I really appreciate your perspective but you present things with a 'holier than thou' tone to it. Just stating you are a dealer gets my respect.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Bill,
'I've posted (as a dealer) information that I have received from Sonic Frontiers and my information has been 100% accurate to date. '
OK, lets see:
'The upgrade is not due out for another 4-6 weeks and pricing has still not been finalized. ' stated on June 6th-that would me mid to late july-didn't happen. True price has not been set. That would make you 50% correct.

This also seems to be the only statement I can dig up that you made about the AVM-20 ( I could be wrong I only spent 5 minutes searching). Besides, there is nothing earth shattering about this statement.

Also, everyone here is patient, just excited. Information I have provided comes from SF (a guy working on it directly who I have communicated with many times) or looking inside my unit. No speculation there. Also, if I did speculate, there are things like 'IMO' next to it to designate it as such.

Chill out man. We all love this product and can't wait for the next upgrade.

Marc

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
We all love this product and can't wait for the next upgrade.
This is not a speculative statement. It pretty much says it all.

The most important item of all to me is they write the code properly. I'd rather see a longer time frame and the upgrade is perfect, rather then see a 2.01 patch two weeks later.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Just curious, are you (like me) checking their website for updates way too often? ;)

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Nope.
All I have to do is log in here. I am sure one of the "Eagle Eyes" on the forum will alert us all!!! :)

Patrick Williams

Stunt Coordinator
A little off topic but....can any of you AVM-20 owners put up a picture of the AVM-20 in black? It's kind of tough to find a high-quality picture of it in the black color.

Thanks,

Patrick

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Patrick.. Email me here on here and I'll send you one if no one else posts within the next few hours.

Charles

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Marc,
You are correct. There was yet *another* delay after June. I can tell you that CEDIA is about one month away and Sonic Frontiers would like nothing more than to have the fully updated AVM20 on display and ready for shipment by that time.
As for the flashlights through the grill? I'll wait until Anthem verifies that they are shipping units with the new chip. This has not happened to date.
Camp,
Sorry you took my posts as holier than thou, they weren't intended in that manner but my frustrations with the rumor mill probably put the acid in my comments. Regards. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks