Anthem AVM 20 Bass Management/Phase Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin C Brown, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I just got an Outlaw 950.

If I adjust for the correct phase between the mains and the sub using a coax digital output from my DVD player into the 950, and then compare to the 5.1 analog inputs, it is NOT the same.

Autosounds 2000 discrete test tone disc. 60 or 80 Hz digital crossover vs the analog 80 Hz crossover.

I have a sub with a variable phase knob, and an inverted input, so I can cover all 360 deg.

The best setting for phase for the coax digital connection is about 180 deg off from the best setting for the 5.1 analog inputs.

The Anthem has bass management on the 5.1 inputs, right? Anyone test for this for the AVM 20?

Digitial and analog crossovers can induce different amounts of phase shift into the signal. Seems like Outlaw didn't account for this in the 950's design. I'm curious if the Anthem folks did...

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Kevin,
    "The Anthem has bass management on the 5.1 inputs, right? Anyone test for this for the AVM 20?"
    Yes to the first question. Not yet to the second one. [​IMG]
    "Digitial and analog crossovers can induce different amounts of phase shift into the signal. Seems like Outlaw didn't account for this in the 950's design. I'm curious if the Anthem folks did..."
    I am not sure if Anthem did via the crossovers, but with the new v2.0 software, you can adjust the phase and polarity of the output to the subwoofer within the AVM-20. I don't have the upgrade yet (sorry, had to slip that in there!), but this seems to be a slick way to adjust your subwoofer's phase from your listening position. BTW, the crossovers in the AVM-20 are digital, regardless of input (digital or analog converted to digital).
    Michael

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Michael- Thanks for the info! [​IMG]