Anthem AVM-20 and Unity Gain

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chas_T, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Could someone please please provide information on how I could integrate a tube amp into my HT system using the AVM-20?

I'd like to purchase a tube amp and use that for 2 channel listening.

Good idea, bad idea, or not possible?

Thank you,
    Charles

2. Amir

Amir Agent

I just bought the Conrad Johnson PV-14L. It has a unity gain. You take your preout form you HT processor to the Theater In of the Preamp and hook up the mains out of the Tube amp to the L & R of your power amp. when you engage the Theater loop on the pre amp the signal from the processor goes through the tube pre amp with no gain. However keep in mind that some tube preamps (like CJ) are phase inverting so you must reverse the speaker leads to you L & R speakers. keep in mind that CJ does not have trigger, and there is no separate on/off on the remote. You must hold the mute button for 3 seconds so to toggle between the on/standby. By the way the sound is awesome. I auditioned the AVM-20 as an upgrade instead of separate amp. What a surprise. there was no comparison. AVM-20 with the Antehm amp sounded dark with very little detail. It lacked life. Good luck

Amir

3. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

4. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Charles,

Can you reiterate what you want? You said "amp" but I think you mean "preamp". Amir also assumed preamp, which is what the CJ unit is. If preamp, then Amir's config is the means by which you would integrate a tube pre into the HT system while using it for your 2 channel listening.

One of these days, I'll try this out as well.

Doug

5. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Doug,
    Sorry for the confusion. A bad brain day.
    What I am attempting to do here is take a TUBE AMP (thinking Rouge) and make the connections THROUGH the AVM-20 pre-amp to listen to 2 channel stereo WITHOUT losing the HT functionality.
    I have to plead ignorance here. Tubes are a new realm to me. Can you even mix tubes (Amp) and solid state (pre-amp) and is it worth while to do so? Amir paints a picture of dispair. [​IMG]
    I currently have Sherbourn 5/1500A powering fronts and center bi-amping my Paradigms fronts. Then I have an Aragon 8002 powering the rears.
    I am making the connections from the amps to the Anthem AVM-20 through the analog audio out with Cat Cables.
    Is this clear??
    Charles

6. Amir

Amir Agent

Charles,
    If you want to improve the sound, IMHO you need to start closer to the source. I have Paradigm studio 60's front and CC center driven with Parasound HCA 2205 biamp the fronts using the Denon 2800 (per outs for fronts and center only) for HT and power to rear 20's. You will see more improvement if you change the preamp. I was satisfied for HT with the Denon but was not happy for stereo which made me look to a separate preamp. Also using 1 set of speakers with 2 power amp can be a bit difficult.
    Doug,
    I got PV-14L Conrad Johnson Preamp.

Regards

Amir

7. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Amir,
    I am very, very happy with the performance of the Anthem. It does a marvelous job with 2 channel, (Analog direct and analog DSP) and also home theater. It's a great addition and at the moment, its the last thing I want to do.
    The Anthem is not a Meridan or a M. Levinson component, but in its price range with the functionality it provides, it's a welcome addtion to my list of components.
    I went down the receiver route using it's preouts in combination with the above mentioned amps in the previous post for the past 8 months. The switch from a receiver to the Anthem AVM-20 in conjunction with the seperate amps is a night and day difference across the board.
    The amp I was using for control at that time was a Sony STR-DA777ES, which was not a slouch in its day at that level of audio.
    My goal here is to INCORPORATE a tube amp if that is possible. It may not be. The reason I am playing around with this idea is somewhat obvious.
    First of all tubes have a different sound as we both know. I've never owned any tubes so it's a potential start into that area of collecting audio componenets. IF it's possible to seemlessly integrate a tube amp into my main system, that would be a benefit.
    I'd rather not start an entire new system needing to purchase an amp > pre-pro > new speakers > cables, etc. and an SACD player. I could pull some other speakers from my Paradigm collection which consists of Studio 20's, 40's and 100's, but building a third system does not seem rational at this point in time.

8. Amir

Amir Agent

Charls,
    I was going along the same path as you are. I had a Denon 2800 that did a reasonably a good job with the HT but I was not satisfied. I tried a rotel amp 5x100 and the change was not noticeable, then I bought the Parasound 5x220, and there was a substantial change in the quality of the sound (worth the investment) next step was for me to try out a new pre pro because of the ergonomics and easy integration - I did not wanted to spend more money for two separate systems - I put my name down for the Outlaw and listened to Anthem and Rotel, then some one in the forum mentioned the tube sound. Finally I was able to listen to the Anthem and the CJ in the same store - granted different rooms and different power amp - I used a jazz CD with piano and female voice Diana Krall - and going from one room to the other the sound was IMHO much better with the CJ. Now this could be due to Anthems Amp. Yur amp is different.
    Did you try the new Amp with the old receiver and then with the Anthem to see which had a bigger effect on the sound? Also sound has to do a lot with personal taste. I like more detailed sound and others might not.
    Regarding the "smarter people", we are all leering. I just got the upgrade bug 2 years ago and have been trying to make a reasonable choice by trying to learn and listen to others that have gone along the same path. But at the end it has to sound good to me and fit the budget.

Regards

Amir

9. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

HI Amir,
    Thanks for your responses.