What's new

Anthem AVM 20 and Surge Protection (1 Viewer)

Ron Duca

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased an Anthem AVM 20 and read an insert included with the unit that says, "The use of an adequate and approved surge protector is highly recommended". It goes on to state, "Do not use a power line conditioner...".

I have all of my equipment, including my Anthem MCA 50 amplifier, running through a Panamax 5300 Power/Surge Protector. Does anyone know if this Panamax unit would be safe to use with the AVM 20? If not, can anyone recommend an "approved" surge protector for me to use?

Thanks

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
I run my AVM 20 through a Panamax Max DBS+ with no ill effects, so I think you'll be all right

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Ron, that warning was put into the manual from Sonic Frontiers because early versions of the AVM-20 were being shipped with the 1A fast blow fuse. Using it with certain surge protectors/line conditioners was causing the fuse to blow.

Now SF ships the unit with a 1A slow blow fuse, which is harder to trip (although it does happen from time to time). I have used my AVM-20 with a Brickwall surge protector for about 4 months now with not a single problem in sight.

Ironically, I was tripping this fuse when running the AVM-20 straight into the wall in my prior location. I don't know if adding the Brickwall or moving residences has caused no further problems, but I think it's safe to assume using the Panamax shouldn't cause you any lost sleep.

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
When I plugged the AVM-20 that I have in for review in a Monster HTPS7000, it would work fine on certain occasions, and on other occasions it would do strange things such as the center channel voices would come out of the left channel. When I talked to an Anthem engineer, they told they had found that certain line conditioners/balanced power units would cause problems with the DSP in the AVM-20. If it works OK with the Panamax, then you are set, but if you have some funny problems, just plug it into the wall.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Manoj,

Did you ever confirm that the AVM-20 you are reviewing stopped having the issues you described once it was plugged directly in an outlet?

Michael

Ron Duca

Stunt Coordinator
FYI...

I e-mailed Anthem's Tech Support and asked about using the AVM 20 with a Surge/Power Protector, in particular the Panamax 5300, which is what I will be connecting it to. Here is their response:

"The Panamax caused the standby fuse to blow before we changed the type, but it's OK now.

Amplifiers use a lot more power - just make sure the surge protector or line conditioner has enough output to feed all the connected equipment."

I also contacted my dealer and he said they always run all of their stuff through Monster Power devices and have never had a problem.

So, I guess I'll run it through the Panamax like I planned.

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
All the issues that I was having with the Anthem went away as soon as I plugged it into the wall. I actually discussed this issue with one of the AVM-20 engineers.

Ron Duca

Stunt Coordinator
ManojM,

Do you still have your unit plugged directly into a wall outlet? If so, do you feel safe, surge wise, with it connected that way?

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, the Anthem is in my closet right now, awaiting comparison to the Statement D1 when it comes out, and the Parasound C2 is in my system. I use a small Panamax surge supresser on one of my wall outlets for gear that I don't want to plug into the balanced power unit to provide basic surge protection. I think you should go ahead and plug it into the Panamax first, and if everything works OK, leave it there.

Prathavan V

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, the Anthem is in my closet right now
I could make all kinds of "get out of the closet" jokes :D , but really, all I want is your job. "I get to keep the Anthem in my closet while I wait to do a comparison with the Statement"

I am SO jealous!!!

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
Heh, I didn't even realize I was leaving myself open for closet jokes...;) If you really want to be a little green, I have at the moment (some in my closet) the Parasound C2, the McIntosh MX134 processor (still unopened), the aforementioned Anthem, and the Krell Showcase (I could have one helluva HTF get-together this weekend!). I also have the new Parsound A51 amp powering my system (damned impressive, I might add).
Seriously, I am lucky enough to have two great jobs, I make people see, and I get to help them to experience beautiful music and video. :) Now if I could just find a few more hours in my day...:D

Miguel Stanic

Stunt Coordinator
ManjoM,

How does the AVM20 compare with the C2 and Krell Showcase. Which do you prefer sound and feature wise??

I have an AVM20 as well which I really like.

Prathavan V

Stunt Coordinator
Charles,

I'm using a mini-monster power bar for most of my HT. Because of the warnings in the owners manual, I never even considered plugging my 20 into it, so the 20 is straight into the wall. The PS audio outlet is very nice, even almost as aesthetically pleasing as their amps. What's a "juice bar" (besides a SoCal place to get refreshments)? Is it just a 'normal' power bar?

Now Manoj, (with apologies to Ron for taking this thread off topic), Parasound, UNOPENED McIntosh, Krell AND your Anthem while you await your arrival of a Statement!! I think you're just showing off now! Seriously though, how long do you get to keep this "demo" stuff for (I am assuming it's demo stuff)? More pertinent to all us HT fans, how can we convince the manufacturers that WE too are "reviewing" their products, we'll write a very nice review, just please please please send us a demo piece of your latest HT gear to try out (or even leave unopened in our closets)???:D And yeah, you're right, I'm green, but not just a little, a lot!!

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
The PS audio outlet is very nice, even almost as aesthetically pleasing as their amps. What's a "juice bar" (besides a SoCal place to get refreshments)? Is it just a 'normal' power bar?
Hey Pro,

Power bar is a proper term for the "Juice Bar." I guess extension strip is a good term too. What I did was purchase the Utimate Outlet which has two inputs and then plugged the juice bar into one of those inputs so I'd have 6 additional inputs to power equipment.

http://www.psaudio.com/products/juicebar.asp

http://www.psaudio.com/products/moreinfo.asp

You next question is, does it do anything to improve sound or picture quality on my display?

IMHO :) the image on the display cleaned up a bit, the soundstage opened up and the imaging seemed cleaner. Video and audio enhancements were unexpected even though they were a pleasant surprise when I heard a difference without this product. My main goal was surge and spike protection.

I did a day long test when it arrived and there is a difference without being plugged into the device.

Was it a WOW factor? NO. Was there a difference? Yes. The changes were/are very subtle.

I don't want to turn the thread into the great debate on this topic as it's been turned over and over. Voodoo Who Do for some. A reality and benefit for others.

There are many companies that offer products in the surge protection/conditioning market segement. I would suggest doing some research if you are in the market to upgrade your Monster power bar. You can spend many $$$$$$'s.

Brick Wall and Richard Gray come to mind.

http://www.brickwall.com/

http://www.richardgrayspowercompany.com/

If you need some info, just PM me. I wonder if Dr. Manoj has any of these in his closet?? :)

Actually, I'd much rather be in Southern CA at the moment sipping on some JUICE at the bar as there is more snow coming tomorrow night and the current temp is like 16 degrees F. :)

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Dr. Motwani. Thank you for your thoughts and providing an honest review of these components.

Many of the mags I've read recently take a "politically correct" perspective, complimenting as you have accordingly with each componenets features, but in the end, leaving it up to the reader to decide. I prefer to have a writer take a stance as you have shared with us.

When I was auditioning SSP's, I demoed the Krell, BK30, Sunfire and AVM-20.

My final choices came down to the Showcase and the "20." I finally decided on the Anthem. There is no need to elaborate on why. These are my personal opinions on the Krell Showcase and are not universal by any means. Just IMHO.

I liked the Krell very much. In fact, I could have bought the Showcase for a cheaper, authorized price then the Anthem. That was something I considered very strongly.

One of the items I liked about the Showcase was the sound you describe. It did have a much different approach to sonics then the Anthem. It was connected to Krell amplification and Dynaudios. Very impressive indeed.

The only thing I did not like about the Showcase was potential hardware upgradability in the future. My research at that time told me that it was in theory a "closed box" and Krell would not support those upgrades. Software of course, was a given.

Your description of its sonics "The Krell is spectrally tilted slightly toward the top end, and combined with a laid back, expansive presentation gives it a very crisp, dramatic sound," is exactly what I heard too. Your description is much more eloquently written then mine would have been.

Another major concern at that time was the synergy between this SSP and my Paradigm Studio series speakers. The Studio's are noted for their top end and without taking the piece home and racking it up, there was trepidation on my part to purchase this SSP.

Aesthetics just did not influence me, but you are correct about the differences. However, the AVM-20 does have a nice look!! :)

Although I am never one to look back after a purchase is made, I often wonder "What IF" I had a larger closet :D and could have auditioned both pieces in my home with the equipment that I currenly own. It would have been interesting.

I sometimes find it difficult to demo equipment in showrooms unless both competitors are side by side or have similar components as I do. That is always my pet peeve when demos are needed at two different dealer locations to choose between specific components. The majoriity of the time, that is not possible for most of us. I have learned one thing and that is I will NOT make a major purchase again without having the luxury of bringing the pieces into my home for a "real life" audition. It makes all the sense in the world to do so.

Thanks again,
Charles

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
Chas, I think you have made a solid assesment of the needs of your speakers system and gone with a very good product in the Anthem. It makes perfect sense that a company as smart as Paradigm would make sure that its speakers mate well with its processor. Upgradeability is a signficant issue, and the Anthem has been very receptive to listening to its customers, and a big kudos must go out to them for that. After spending time talking to Richard Schram, the owner of Parasound, I am convinced that Parasound will be very intersted in serving its customers also.
I do belive that the cost difference is still important, it may not sound like much, but being just over $3K versus $4K is still substantial when looking at your checkbook.
Since I come from the point of view of an enthusiast, my biggest issue when I approach gear is not the list of features as these are readily available on the website and easy to check out at the store, but the sound/sonics of the unit and evaluation of the features that are part of everyday use. For many, a real life audition of all the pieces they are interested in is just not possible. I used to get (and still do) get frustrated with reviews that spend the majority of time talking about features, and then tell you the sound was great with no context of the personality of the sound and product, and with no context of what your money is buying as compared to something else. IMHO, there has to be some opinion of how the product(s) sound in a reference system, so the reader has an idea of what characteristics to look for when they demo it. That allows someone to really pick what is right for them. The interesting thing about many products today is that they really are very good, and there are much fewer true clunkers out there.

Just a note on power conditioners, the senior editor of DVD ETC., Clint Walker, has more experience than I do, and if you post in the DVD ETC forum, he will answer your questions. That said, way before I started writing for the magazine, I put a Monster 2500 and then a Panamax 5100 in my system. On back to back comparisons I saw a better picture on my television, and a darker background with my the sound from (at that time) my receiver. It was absolutely worth every nickel that I spent. Since that time I have upgraded to the Monster HTPS7000 balanced power unit, but I never had a chance to properly compare the effects of this unit as my system was signficantly changing at the time this unit showed up. I actually got the 7000 on the recommendation of Clint, who really liked it and found it to be one of the more flexible solutions that he had encountered.

Prathavan V

Stunt Coordinator
Manoj, if that's the content in DVD ETC. Magazine, (sound, functionality, user friendliness and sonics as opposed to a rehash of the same fact sheet I get from the dealer), I think I'll start reading your magazine.:) This is the same reason that years ago I stopped reading the new car magazines and started on the "classics" magazines.

On the power conditioners, you know, I really thought that they were just there simply to "protect" my equipment. I never considered that they would possibly/actually improve the sound and picture!! Wow! It makes sense when you consider how much people spend just on replacement power cords, but it was never even in my thought process.:b Maybe that's where my next bit of "play" money will go.

PS - I bought it for the sound, but based on the support from Anthem, although Krell and others may have fabulous offerings, it would take one heck of a "STATEMENT" to get me to let go of my 20!:D (Oh BTW, I'm assuming that the Statement D1 is Anthem's new "Director"? Otherwise I can't figure why you're waiting to compare it to the 20 [and my "Statement" comment would make no sense])

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks