Anthem AMV20 v2 now or Rotel 1098 later?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JimmyK, Mar 4, 2003.

1. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    Anyone have any detailed info, including price, for the new Rotel 1098 pre/proc?

How does it compare to the Anthem AVM 20 v2.0x?

I'm trying to decide whether to get the Anthem now, or wait for the Rotel.

Thanks!
    JimmyK

2. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

The new rotel is MSRP at $2995, so street is probably between $2500-2900 when it comes out later this month. I am not so sure about the sonic benefits (if any) of the LCD screen on the front, but if it has close to the clarity and sophistication of the Anthem, I would think that it could be a steal.
    I would think that if you are only looking for sound, go for the Anthem right now, as it is a proven piece of equipment. but if you can find a dealer who would be willing to audition the two items for you, go do that before committing. I think that it would be hard for any pre/pro in the Anthem's price range to match its sound quality and features.

3. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Another thing that I noticed is that the Rotel doesn't have any balanced inputs or outputs. I am surprised by this since the Anthem, B&K, Sunfire (I think), and almost all other pre/pros in it's price range that it competes with do have them.

It might not make that big of a difference to you, depending on your amp(s) and source(s), but it is something that should not have been left out of a ~$3K preamp/processor IMO.

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

5. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Evan, just wanted to let you know that I do not think that the Odyssey Monos are truly balanced. In fact, I dont think that any of the Odyssey gear is balanced, they just have the XLR ins for convenience, though I could be wrong. This could again factor into your decision for amps from your other post. Just letting you know.

6. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Thanks Chung...I realize this. I run balanced connections (XLR) strictly for convenience anyway...I don't think in my setup I would be able to dissern the differences anyway.