Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by ChrisWiggles, Jan 29, 2004.

1. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Aug 19, 2002
    even more advanced members gotta have newbie questions from time to time [​IMG] :

I've got dedicated HT going in my basement, but I also do a LOT of radio listening, and will be using OTA HDTV. What kind of wire do i need to run, and where/how to get good radio and TV reception. It is possible to go outside to the side walls of my house, we're on a big hill, but I don't want a big metal antenna thing sticking out on the roof.

For radio, can i just run a long run of speaker wire outside like a giant T-antenna? Or some type of coax connected outdoor antenna?

How susceptible are these wires to interference, can they run out a short conduit together, they also will have to pass a few power cables, at 90 degrees.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

May 19, 2002
    The kind of antenna you need will depend on your location compared to the transmitting stations—the distance and terrain. Since you are in a basement it is not likely that an indoor antenna will work very well, although it is possible that you could get good reception with an indoor antenna placed on an upper floor. Next, many people have good luck with an antenna in their attic. If that won’t work, you will need an outdoor mount. In both the last two cases, you should get a directional antenna and a rotor, unless all the transmitting stations are in the same location.

Most digital stations are transmitting on the UHF band right now, but there are some (one in Dallas) that transmit on VHF. If you are in a UHF only area a bow-tie or double bow-tie might work for now, but in the end the stations will all revert to their normal channels (this when they become digital only).

I would recommend RG6 for your runs. If it is reasonably long run, consider adding a signal booster. If you choose to use an amplifier to boost the signal, it is important to locate it close to the source (antenna), so that you are amplifying a good signal. Boosting the signal close to your set won’t do as much good because you will be boosting a degraded signal.

Most TV antennas will do a reasonable with FM (check the specs before you buy). If you choose to go this way, make sure to get a rotor for your antenna. If you are only going to receive strong local stations, a T will do well enough. For strong, local AM stations, it is likely that a simple loop antenna will do.