Antennas for OTA Stations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GeoffryB, Dec 13, 2001.

1. GeoffryB

GeoffryB Auditioning

I have had Direct TV for over a year and I really miss many of the stations that came on cable, but not on satellite, such as WB, UPN, and many of the UHF stations. What are some recommended indoor or attic antennas I can use.

I also miss my Cable Access stations, they were so funny to me.

Geoffry

2. Chuck_C

Chuck_C Stunt Coordinator

Me too. I just ordered a Winegard MS-2002 Metrostar amplified antenna for my attic on Monday. I received it on Wednesday and will be installing it in the next couple of day as I'm real busy now. I'll let you know how it works out.
    This is a flat dish 21 1/2" across and about 2 inches or so thick. I'm going to hang it upside down from my attic roof. This comes with a power supply that goes inline with the coax to power the amplifier in the antenna. Another coax then runs from the power supply to the TV system. No coax is supplied with this mode. The MS-2000 has coax with it. Cost was about $66 to my house. I got it from: www.starkelectronic.com/womni.htm

3. Andy L

Andy L Stunt Coordinator

All of the local channels in the areas that DirecTV currently serves will be available on satellite starting on December 27th. This is due to must-carry requirements. To accomplish this, DirecTV has launched a new spot beam satellite that is designed specifically to deliver all the new local channels. Thus, UPN, WB and many others will be available to you shortly.

4. GeoffryB

GeoffryB Auditioning

I called Direct TV about this a few weeks ago and they didn't know anything about it. They couldn't even tell me what markets that they had UPN, WB, etc in. They told me that Chicago was not going to get the same channels that other cites would get.

5. Andy L

Andy L Stunt Coordinator

I just punched a Chicago zip code into DirecTV's web page and here's what they came back with as far as stations that will be available on December 27th when the new satellite goes online (sorry for the messed up formatting):

Net Affil Local Channel Non-multi-Satellite

CBS WBBM 2 961

NBC WMAQ 5 962

ABC WLS 7 963

WB WGN 9 964

PBS WTTW 11 965

PBS WYCC 20 966

Ind WCIU 26 967

Fox WFLD 32 968

TMO WSNS 44 969

UPN WPWR 50 970

TFT WXFT 60 971

Ind WJYS 62 972

Uni WGBO 66 995

The rep that you talked to a few weeks ago either didn't know about the changes coming down the pipe or wasn't allowed to discuss them.

6. Chuck_C

Chuck_C Stunt Coordinator

I installed the antenna listed above this morning. It works OK. Not as good as a outside antenna but decent enough. One local channel comes in bad, most of the others are pretty good, some are excellent. A channel I was hoping to get doesn't come in at all. I really didn't expect to receive it as it is 35-40 miles away and over some hills. All in all, I'm satisfied with it. I am going to move the antenna around a bit in the attic and see if the one bad channel will improve. The bad channel has ghosts - multipath problems. Look like it's walkie talkie time.

Also

I went to the DirecTV website to see if they are going to be offering local channels in my area. The reply was:

We don't currently have plans to offer local channels to your area.

However, in the areas they do offer local broadcasts:

NEW LOCAL CHANNELS COMING SOON!

We've got great news! Starting December 27, DIRECTV customers who subscribe to a local channel package will get more local channels at no extra cost. These new channels will be automatically added to your package, so there's nothing to do except sit back and enjoy.