antenna, sat, record and watch something else

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Moira, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Moira

Moira Auditioning

Ok all you great gear heads out there, this oughta be a snap for you. I have 3 options to hook up the antenna, vcr, tv, and the big dish.

Can't use the big dish cause the antenna output does not transfer to composite jacks output, only to rf output AND i can't record satelite while watching local. (satelite has to be in standby to use output from roof antenna.

can't use tv, cause then i will have no surround sound on broadcasts. tv doesnot have audio output.

can't use vcr cause then i can't record satelite while watching local tv.

So with a HT you have to watch what you are recording or just hook the tv up to the antenna and forget about surround sound for that. Is this right? Or is there a magic box I can fix this with? Are there any a/v receivers out there that can do both of these things? I can bring this one back.

The other day, after spending my entire adult life without a stereo, I went out and bought a HTIB. It is a Yamaha-700. It has a good receiver and dvd player. The speakers are, well you know, but I couldn't take it anymore. Picking out the speakers is what stopped me 10 years ago when I was putting in a really really nice system. So I just went for it.

Thanks a mill!! I think I am dead in the water. At least I had enough sense to buy good cables whatever that's worth.
    Pitiful Moira

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Where do I begin? What you are missing are the 'small' parts. Other members would want more details, but I think that you can figure this out on your own.

You didn't mention what inputs the TV has, because with the newer models, they have multiple inputs, but no matter.

You have RF plugs for the sat and the big dish.? If you want anything better than your TV sound you'll have to run them through a VCR or buy an RF splitter. It has the coax in on one end and composite (Red/white/yellow)out on the other.

Several companies makes composite switches. If you had two sets of composite jacks and plugged those in, the video could go out to the TV and the audio to the HTIB. These start at about 10 bucks and usually have 3 in, and 1 out.

There aree also RF splitters and switches out there. You could have an RF from your sat and dish go into a switch, and pick one or the other to go to your TV and/or VCR.

As an example, my sat RF is split when it leaves my sat box. One goes to the TV (RF)and the other to a VCR (composite). The VCR out goes to my TV's 2nd input. The sat box has multiple outputs, as well as the VCR with in and out. Take advantage of them.

Glenn

3. Moira

Moira Auditioning

Glenn,
    You are my hero. Ok I got one input in the back of tube and one in the front. Don't really want wires hanging from them. The tv has an rf input and the rca's that's it. (it was a gift).

The ird has two outputs, a set of rca's and a rf. I have the Ird hooked up to the a/v receiver with rca's. The ird also has a dedicated record output(rca's) that i can hook the vcr to. Can't use the ird rf vhf output because if i hook up the roof antenna to the ird, the ird has to be in standby in order for the antenna signal to go through the rf vhf output. I don't want to use the rf output anyway, i would rather use the rca's. The problem is where do i put the antenna?

I will be getting a new vcr but the one i have now only has one in and out composite set. it has a antenna in and a rf out.

Even if i could hook up everything right (everything going into the a/v) the problem still remains, i can't record something and watch something else?

I could record sat with the dedicated record output on that, and use the antenna to the tv to watch local. However i am loosing the ability to hear surround on the networks. Glenn does any of this sound right?

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Interesting. Ok, the roof antenna and the dish are using the same cable? (I need a yes/no here). Can you run another cable to separate them? When the cable gets into your house, you could also buy a splitter and split it there and send one to the box and one to the RF input on your TV.
    Unfortunately, most receivers do not have RF ins or outputs, so I think you're stuck using the socket on the front of your TV. (You could tape it up and make it look nice!) [​IMG]
    At any rate, you only have to send the video (yellow) to the TV, and the left & right audios will just go to the receiver. The box, receiver and your DVD player would go into the receiver and just the one yellow would go to your TV.
    If the receiver only has one set of inputs, then just buy a composite switch like I said before. I'll be back!
    Glenn

5. Moira

Moira Auditioning

Glenn,

6. Moira

Moira Auditioning

Glenn,
    I just spent over an hour explaining all this stuff and its gone, I will have to try again tomorrow. I finished writing it and hit the preview button and then it asked me to log in again and it was gone!! Just shoot me now Moira

7. Moira

Moira Auditioning

Hi Glenn,
    I am sending this to you because I don’t know if you would receive a email alert. Thanks for your help.
    Here we go again. I will try to keep this brief. I want to keep this simple, I want to use rca jacks instead of rf whenever i can.
    The sat and the roof antenna are separate. I am only using the video to the TV now. The tv has 2 rca inputs, one in the front and one in the back. Also it has a rf input in the back. No outputs. Here is a diagam. No lines mean the connection is not being used.

vcr----a&v rca in & out---a/v
    ant in rf--------------------------roof ant.
    rf out
    TV
    Sat------a&v rca out-------a/v------video only back
    rf vhf out rca in front
    rf Ant in rf in back---ANT.
    3 aux inputs (rca)
    record output (rca)

DVD------opt./video rca----a/v

I don't want to sound short but after I wrote that big long email last night and lost it, i am just kinda pooped.

The above diagam shows how it is hooked up now. Everything is going to the a/v now. I have the antenna hooked up to the tv and the vcr. With this setup I can record sat or local but my local broadcast sound comes out of the tv speakers. I can select vcr to watch local tv and get a/v sound (have to mute tv) but then i can't record sat because the a/v makes me choose the source i want to record and it is on vcr. Also if i select vcr to watch local, i have to change the channels with the vcr and the tv.

Here is my plan, i will hook the vcr(in) to the sat record output. i will hook the vcr(out) to the a/v for playback only. (or i can hook up the vcr out to the sat aux input so i can have pip again) this will allow me to record sat or local independent of the a/v. if i am recording local i can still watch sat but i can't record sat and watch local. not a good plan, is it.

just to repeat from the other email in case your wondering:

If i hook up the roof antenna to the sat, the sat has to be in standby in order for the antenna signal to go through the rf vhf output. The antenna signal will not transfer to the rca outputs, only transfers to rf vhf output when in standby.
    I think that covers everything. What do you think? Moira