Antenna Grounding Options

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Brian H, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Brian H

Brian H Extra

My DirecTV dish is currently mounted on the side of my house and close to the service entrance. When I installed it, it was simple to run a ground wire down the side of the house to the house ground and be done with it.

Unfortunately, my neighbor decided to plant a tree directly under the line of site between my dish and the satellites. This wasn't an issue until the tree grew tall enough to start getting into the signal, so now I will have to move the dish. The best option for me would be to get up on the roof and hang the antenna off the chimney, which is almost dead center in the middle of my roof, and would give me a completely clear view of the satellites, but also create a problem for the grounding.

I see the following two options, but don't know which is better, or actually, if the one option is even safe.

Option 1: bring the ground wire through the roof next to the chimney, then run it across the attic, and down the side of the house to the main ground point for the house.

I hate to run a ground wire down the entire side of the house, but I assume that this is legal and safe. I just want to make sure.

Option 2): bring the ground wire through the roof next to the chimney, then run it to a grounded electrical box in the attic. This would be by far the easiest, that grounded box actually is tied through the main panel to the house ground outside anyway. This saves me wire, and also having to look at a ground wire running down the outside of the house.

Is this a legal and safe ground? Does it create any other problems?

I appreciate any feedback on this issue because when it comes to grounding, I certainly do not want to make a mistake that ends up burning the house down.

2. FredWal

FredWal Auditioning

Brian,

Instead of grounding the system at the Santa entrance, why not ground it near the ground.
    Just use a coax grounding block at the current location and attach the ground wire to the existing location. Just run new RG6 to the chimney mount location.

fred

PS - it really doesn't matter if lightning actually strikes. Saw this a couple weeks ago: Lightning hit an old grounded vhf/uhf antenna, it jumped 10' from the chimney area and blew a hole in the roof 8 inches in diameter. It then hit all the elec and coax lines in the house, knocked out 3 DTV receivers, 3 vcr's, 2 tvs, one microwave, numerous ceiling and wall light fixtures. The antenna was grounded, the dish was grounded, the house was grounded properly. But, what a mess.

3. Brian H

Brian H Extra

Fred,

I think I understand you and thanks for the suggestion. I didn't realize that was a viable option. The only issue is that then I have to pull RG6 across the attic to the outside wall, down to the ground block, and then back inside the house. I'd prefer to go strait down to the receivers and minimize the RG6 run.

Should I run a ground wire down to the block, or do you know if I can just connect to a grounded box in the attic? Somehow, grounding an antenna to a box in the house seems like bad news, but then again, I am not an electrician...

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

and even then, differences in potential are possible. Dumb question on my part...have you considered contacting DirecTV as possibly they may be under some obligation to reposition your unit?

6. Brian H

Brian H Extra

No, I never thought of contacting DirecTV. Probably what I should have done, is just buy my new dish and HD receiver with their installation included. Then I would have to deal with this.....