Antenna for OTA HD reception

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jerrold J, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Jerrold J

Jerrold J Auditioning

I have a HD ready set with DirectTV.I have decided to add Hi-Def. I am going to purchase a Zenith 520 tuner. The dish is being replaced in a few days with the needed one.I have a large outdoor UHF/VHF/FM antenna in the attic for FM reception to my audio reciever.Can I use this antenna for local OTA HD stations as well?If so ,can I use 2/1 splitter.I was told by a salesperson in CC that I need an antenna made for HD signals but I've read otherwise.Thanks!

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You need an antenna that brings in UHF channels since that's where the vast majority of OTA HDTV is being broadcasted. The notion that you need a "HDTV" antenna is misleading, just make sure it'll receive UHF.

Give the splitter a try, it can't hurt.

Consult www.antennaweb.org to find out where you need to be orienting your antenna for the necessary reception based on your position relative to the broadcast towers.

3. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Depending on the splitter, you may lose varying amts. of signal. I normal 75 ohm 2-way splitter may cause a loss of about 3.5db. One can get a splitter that will separate TV and FM bands (it looks similar to a 2-way splitter except one of the splits indicates 'TV' and the other 'FM') and that typically results in about a much smaller signal loss.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I agree with Patrick, except that in some areas, stations are telecasting their digital signals on VHF. Here in the DFW metroplex, our ABC stations telecasts both their NTSC and ATSC signals on (different) VHF channels.

6. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

Anyone know where to get a good outdoor antenna? Does radioshack still sell these?

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Yes they do, Dan