Another year and I still don't own a progressive DVD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by keith fox, Nov 30, 2001.

1. keith fox

keith fox Agent

Right about this time last year I was patiently waiting for the Denon DVD2800. I decided to hold off. There were problems. The reviews are so-so. I've read all the reports on Secrets of Home Theater and it seems every progressive DVD player has got serious bugs (ok there was the $11,000 one that was good).

Anybody have an view into whats coming down the road in the way of finally getting a good progressive DVD player without all the well known bugs of the last two years for

under $2000?

I think its going to be another Christmas with out buying one but perhaps you can enlighten me.

Thanks.

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

The Panasonic RP-91 and RP-56 seem to be favorites around here.... don't know if they have any major bugs.

3. keith fox

keith fox Agent

The RP56 is MUCH better than the RP91 from a video perspective and is certainly one of the best out there, especially when you take the price into account.
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...-2-8-2001.html
    The 56 failed--with a score of 6 seconds
    A -Abyss Chapter 4 w/ subtitles on. Pass if no combing on subtitles. Resulting number is number of combs in 60 seconds.
    The 56 failed --with a score of 15 seconds
    WMM WHQL Mixed Mode. Pass if it returns to film mode in no more than 2 frames, and doesn’t comb. Number in parens is time in frames to return to film mode.
    It passed everything else but does have some short comings like in forced video mode it turns off DCDi which is only useful in video mode - bug
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...nic%20DVD-RP56
    The 91 does not fare nearly as well failing 7 tests
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...asonic%20RP-91
    My Toshiba SD2108 is starting to get a little long in the tooth and will need replacing soon. I may just have to buy something I know I'm goiing to want to replace. I really don't like that though. Oh well.
    Keith

4. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Keith,

If you are waiting for the perfect DVD player then it will be a long wait. NO dvd player is completely flawless. The key is to find one with the features you want at a price you are willing to pay. The rp56 puts out an excellent picture. Who cares that it failed a couple of tests on situations you will rarely run into. In this hobby sometimes we need to make compromises on equipment. Reviews should only serve as one part of your decision making. The bottom line is you have to test the product yourself and make the final decision. Good luck.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

You do know that the "progressiveness" of a progressive player is useless unless you have the right TV, right?
    [​IMG]
    I.e., regular analog NTSC (?) TV's can *not* take advantage of a progressive DVD player's output. (The "progressive" part, anyway.)

6. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

Just recieved my RP91K , and the TV(533HD5) is coming soon .

Even on my existing Sony 43 it looks amazing in interlaced , so I'm

happy and looking forward to seeing it on the Pioneer .

I gave up waiting on `THE' player , cause I don't think it's available -

at least not in my budget .

Last night , I had lots of fun testing a few DVD-Audio discs - a VERY NICE

feature of the RP91 .

For the first time EVER - my system will not have Sony video gear . I never

dreamed that would happen .

Eric

7. keith fox

keith fox Agent

Dalton -- I guess I am just frustrated that a year goes past and well known flaws are still not corrected but I do understand your point. What I really want is a 'good' progressive DVD, 5-6 changer, DVD+DVD-audio+Sacd that can also be used as a CD changer and has controls that are useful for both (that is a story in itself). And it's not like I'm cheap. I'd pay 2 grand if I could find it. Hmmm maybe in two or three years I guess... in the mean time maybe I'll just divert myself and buy an x-Box (doesn't solve my problem but will distract me [​IMG] )
    Kevin - I've owned the 'right' TV for two years. Still waiting on decent HD programming.

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Keith, stop waiting and start living!
    [​IMG]
    --
    Holadem - I am only half joking

9. keith fox

keith fox Agent

Home Theater is not my only hobby. I did buy a Boxster this summer-- so don't worry about me enjoying myself [​IMG]

10. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Keith- OK. [​IMG]
    Just wanted to make sure. I think a lot of people get "sold" on progressive DVD players because of the marketing: "gee, it's new, so it must be better, so I must have it, even though I don't even know if I need it."
    I have had 2 friends in the last year, who bought DVD players with internal Dolby Digital/DTS decoders who didn't need them, because of how the salesmen sold them on it.
    BTW, I'm jealous, I still *do* have an anolog set and don't need progressive output yet. Still waiting for the "dust" to settle on HDTV, DTV, 1100p and all that other stuff I don't understand yet (because I haven't gotten motivated enough to learn about it yet!).
    Sidenote: I would think that the video portion of the RP56 and RP91 are identical, just that the RP91 adds DVD-A. Not so?