Another Xbox "exclusive" jumps ship

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by pitchman, Oct 24, 2001.

1. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Now that one of the two Xbox titles that really excites me (the other being Jet Set Radio Future) is officially announced for GameCube, it's making my decision to go Cube that much easier...
    Cel Damage arrives on GameCube in December accoring to this news story .
    Gary
    ------------------

2. Michael St. Clair

Well, there are "exclusives", and then there are exclusives.
    If Jet Grind makes the leap I may sell/return the XBox until Shenmue II comes out. That baby ain't jumpin.

3. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

4. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

JGRF............that game equals Xbox to me.

5. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

For some reason, I just have this strange feeling that JSRF will be making it's way to the Gamecube soon after the Xbox. Possibly even the PS2.
    I personally just don't see the point in keeping a game that everyone would want to play exclusive. JSRF would sell very well on each platform and to keep it exclusive to one is just plain dumb IMHO.
    Maybe it's just me, but when all these next gen systems are out, and they are all relatively similar in terms of performance, 3rd party exclusives just don't make sense to me. It's not like in the 32/64bit era where console specs were keeping a game on/off a certain system.
    I guess though, that that is what companies like Sony/MS need to stay alive though. Because Nintendo(and what should have been SEGA) can stay afloat with 1st party titles alone.
    Anyways, rant off... [​IMG]
    Andrew
    ------------------
    ICQ# - 119869807

6. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Any 3rd party developer that signs and "exlusive" deal does not know how to do business IMO. What would you limit yourself to a system that may or may not pan out? Im not trying to start a flame war, but doesn't it make the most sense to go with a proven system like the PS2 and branch off to the other consoles from there? Unless a developer is getting a blank check or a lump sum to keep it exclusive or a certain time period, I just don't see it making good business sense.
    Then, to totally contradict EVERYTHING I just said, Im buying a Gamecube for Rogue Squadron II alone. [​IMG]

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

8. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Ouch....
    -Andre F
    ------------------
    -= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Keep in mind that games that were announced for XB were assumed to be exclusives without actually being exclusive. They could also fall into the "6 month" agreement like Sega did with all its games. Another thing they could do is a DoA2 for DC/DoA2:H for PS2 thing (develop a special edition that counts as a separate game).
    I didn't care for JGR much, and I care less about JGRF. Especially since they changed the gameplay so much (which was the best part).

10. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Which would you rather have? A DVD or VHS tape of the same movie? For me the best presentation wins, and the Xbox is it.
    Dean

11. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

12. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Personally I would rather have JGRF on the GameCube, why? It does very clean, very sharp rendering like the Dreamcast does. Also the fact that I think the American Xbox controller is a pile of dog turds(they really should have used the Japan controller trust me on this).

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Nintendo might not always have the most powerful hardware, but they always seem to have the best looking graphics. Games on the N64 might have been fuzzy at some times, but there were no jaggies or problems like that, and Nintendo likes to keep their games looking good. I trust that any versions of games on the GCN and PS2 or XB will look better on the GCN visually (I'm not talking polys or resolution, but raw out of the console).

14. Dean Cooper

HD and true in game 5.1 Vs 480p and Dolby surround…do I really have to play both? Sorry but any game that is originally developed for the Xbox will have an extremely hard time looking better as a port on a different system and yes I have played an Xbox version.
    Dean

15. Steven_V

Steven_V Stunt Coordinator

16. Dean Cooper

[​IMG] It could of been SO much better in HD and true 5.1 don't you think? [​IMG]
    Dean

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I could care less if a game is in HD with 5.1 as long as its fun. I still get a kick out of Megaman X games for SNES and PSX, and I still keep buying them because they are fun, not because of their graphics. As long as the next gen console(s) I buy are somewhat close to the competition, I'm happy.
    Graphics won't sell a console to me, so its obviously not the most important thing. I would rather have fun games at 480p and Dolby Surround than crap games at HD with 5.1
    I would also rather have a good movie on VHS than a crap movie on DVD.

18. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I agree with preferring to have a good game with less-than-optimal tech specs over a bad one in HD/5.1, but is that really relevent to the discussion at hand? Here, we're talking about the same game being available on multiple systems, thus the DVD-vs.-VHS metaphor. And since the Xbox has a higher ceiling, spec-wise, than any of the other systems, that's a point in the Xbox's favor, especially if you've got the hardware to make use of it.

19. Dean Cooper

I couldn't care less if all of the Xbox games got ported to another system. If they were originally developed to take advantage of the Xboxs capabilities, they will look the best on the Xbox. Simply because it has the hardware that allows high def and true 5.1 while streaming off of the hard drive.
    Dean

20. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Say that I have the best HT hardware in the world and I want the game, I would not base my decision on the console's power, but on the other games on the console. As long as the game is the exact same (besides graphics being a little better or better sound) I would want the console with the better games than the one with the better specs. The GCN games for the future interest me more than the XB ones, so I would choose a GCN one. Also, the GCN is cheaper, so I have several reasons to want a GCN version. I also have a PS2 already and don't need to buy another console (I could care less about better graphics and sound if it saves me $200 bucks or more) so I would prefer that version.