What's new

Another word on power cords... (1 Viewer)

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Philip,

I wonder if you bought some decent quality jacks and the same power wire that electricians run in the walls of your home and wired them up what the results would be.
By jacks do you mean outlets? Last year I changed my outlets to a hospital grade, and it was an improvement as well. As far as the wire, that could be an interesting comparison.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Mark

The video switching capabilites are very important to me in my setup, as I have numerous sources.
I have a friend in a similar situation where switching is of utmost importance. I'll along your tweak to him and see if he is interested.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
By my reckoning, you've spent $400 to try to reduce the distortion caused by your preamp rather than simply purchasing a longer s-video cable and have NO preamp video distortion whatsoever.
It just so happened that tonight I happened to turn on my TV in the bedroom which is a direct connection to the cable box via s-video, and the picture is nowhere near as good as my HT WITH the pre-pro in the mix. And the bedroom TV is actaully a more costly Sony Vega. Hmmm......

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Hey Mark..
Just some questions on your comparison.
Is the cable box the same?
Same S Video Cable?
One of the items about the Sony Vega series is they are very picky with signal source. Is the other set just as picky in your main viewing room with the pre-pro connection?
My Vega's displays are very bad with my cable provider. I needed to switch to Directv to compensate for the poor signal source.
I don't dispute your findings. It is just that using the current setup in your main viewing area and going with a direct connection should be equal to or a tad better then connecting through the pre-pro taking advantage of the switching capabilities.
HOWEVER, anything is possible. :D

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't sound like Mark would be able to suddenly claim it would take weeks and weeks to tell the difference if he was subject to a blind test. :)

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Doesn't sound like Mark would be able to suddenly claim it would take weeks and weeks to tell the difference if he was subject to a blind test.
That depends on the amount of difference. Some are obvious in a matter of seconds/minutes, and others can take days/weeks. It's not an either or situation.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Some are obvious in a matter of seconds/minutes, and others can take days/weeks.
I was talking about the subject of this thread. You called the diffrences "amazing", "incredible", and subject to "utter disbelief". Doesn't sound like you'd be able to do the "give me weeks and weeks to tell the difference" thing in this instance.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Doesn't sound like you'd be able to do the "give me weeks and weeks to tell the difference" thing in this instance.
In that, you are correct. The difference it made in the picture quality was immediately very evident. So what?

If a difference is more subtle it may take more time.

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,
I'm not going to doubt that you are seeing the improvements you state. Video improvements are mech easier to prove than audio improvements are. Before and after photos can prove beyond a doubt that the picture has improved. But I am going to suggest that a possible explanation is that one of the cords you replaced was defective in some way. Were either of the cords you replaced of the three prong variety?

Wayne

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Shane---But that is because we're Western Men, inheritors of a great civilization with strengths based on skepticism and scientific inquiry. We can't help it. :)

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Mark,

This sounds like we need to open yet another X File. ;0)

You have seen improvements....therefore your impressions are suspect. Well, actually disputed in suspicion.

If this clipping of the heals wasn't laughable enough..... you need to buy a digital camera....still shot resolution loss, notwithstanding.... Are you investigating EE, ringing, a la Bjorn ? Doesn't appear to me you are. Perhaps you need to supply a direct digital video stream feed !!!!! , it seems... ;^)

Enjoy your improvements, directly, in your theater.

BOK

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
gee brian, maybe it'd be nice if one of the cord companies were to put some photos up...aware of any by any chance? but granting there was an improvement, does anyone have any explanation as to why the cord would've created such a benefit? I mean, was it the gauge...shielding?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks