What's new

Another word on power cords... (1 Viewer)

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Being a relative newbie to the whole aftermarket power cord deal, I must say that the results of my recent purchase have been far greater than expected. During my initial auditions the audio improvement was what led me to the purchase, and significant improvement it was. But hey, the improvement on the video is nothing short of incredible! The picture even on digital cable is vastly improved, to the point of utter disbelief. I thought I had a good picture before, but this is amazing.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Mark, there was a fella over in Tweaks, from Renaissance Cable, who posted pics of the tv when using various types of cables using a digital camera. By any chance do you have a digital camera whereby you could take some pictures using the std and the other cord? This pc went on the TV or something else?

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera except for the one in my video camera, and I haven't been able to transfer pictures to my computer yet from that, since it isn't compatible with NT.

I just added two cords, one to the amp , and one to the pre-amp.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
You added power cords to your amp and preamp, and your TV's picture improved? Does the video signal go through the preamp, by any chance?

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Lee,

I audtioned one cord over the weekend, and I swtiched it between my amp, and pre-amp, each time experiencing differing results. Not that I can relay them accurately, but differing between the two, but both improvements. So much so, that I decided to get two. Audio wise, quieter background, a bit better extension in the highs, an overall cleaner presentation, but the biggest impression was just the sense, or emotion of "being there". It brought me closer to the music. It was just more pure. I don't know if that makes sense, but that's what it was.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Just switched back to the original power cord on the pre-amp, and the picture quality was diminished by a marked amount. This evalution was per my SO, who has no idea about the price, or anything about power cords.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Mark.. When you go directly into the set bypassing the Anthem, how would you describe the picture quality compared to connecting through the Anthem with the upgraded power cord?

I ask this because I have the same pre/pro but have always avoided making connections through the pre-amp. If you find its the same quality, the I might go the same route.

Thank you,
Charles

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Chas,

When you go directly into the set bypassing the Anthem, how would you describe the picture quality compared to connecting through the Anthem with the upgraded power cord?
I haven't acutally bypassed the Anthem yet. All I did was change the power cord. I don't know if I ever will do that as my s-video cable isn't quite long enough to reach to my TV directly.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Mark..
Thanks for the info. I only asked the question because I've heard that it's best to go directly from source to source and bypass the pre-pro/amp.
The way I have mine set up is the SAT receiver (Sony A-50) is connected directly to the set via an S-video cable and then have the Toslink connected to the Anthem. The negative of this is you don't have switching capabilities using the Anthem if I recall.
I recently ordered a PS Audio High Current Ultimate Outlet with a juice bar. My house is about 25 years old and I thought this might be a good edition for surge protection and power clean up to enhance picture quality and sound reproduction after doing some research. I wanted to try one of their Power Plants, but its out of my price range at the moment.
It appears that I might try the power cord route in the future after reading your post here. However, I would need 3 of them for 2 amps and the pre/pro. Does it ever end? :)
By the way, I love this Anthem. What a difference in sound quality from the Sony STR-DA777ES I was using.
Thank you again for the information.
Charles

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if you bought some decent quality jacks and the same power wire that electricians run in the walls of your home and wired them up what the results would be.

I don't think even fairly high end gear comes with stock power cords that would pass any local electricity codes as passable in-wall electric cables.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
i don't think there's a requirement that they have to Phil but by the same token i don't believe a high end cord would meet in wall code either.

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
I haven't acutally bypassed the Anthem yet. All I did was change the power cord. I don't know if I ever will do that as my s-video cable isn't quite long enough to reach to my TV directly.
By my reckoning, you've spent $400 to try to reduce the distortion caused by your preamp rather than simply purchasing a longer s-video cable and have NO preamp video distortion whatsoever.

--Steve

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Chas,

I thought about the Ultimate Outlet, but I'm going to put in a FIM outlet today. Maybe the UO later.

Steve,
By my reckoning, you've spent $400 to try to reduce the distortion caused by your preamp rather than simply purchasing a longer s-video cable and have NO preamp video distortion whatsoever.
Well, I actually didn't buy the power cords for any improvement in video, as I really had no complaints, it was an added bonus. I purchased the cords because of the affect on the sound. The video switching capabilites are very important to me in my setup, as I have numerous sources. By my reckoning, I spent $400 for improvements that make my experience far more enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks