Another Wireless Network question (with 5.8gHz phones)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MarkHastings, Jul 1, 2005.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I just bought a couple 5.8 gHz phones because I hear the wireless B & G may cause conflicts with 2.4 gHz equipment. Now that I am ready to purchase a wireless network, I started thinking, will the G interfere with the new 5.8 gHz phones?

If not, is G the best way to go? I like Linksys, so I will go with them. I figure this is what I need:
    http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=35&prid=608

So now here's the situation...the router will be near my computer, so I won't need wireless to my PC (I assume I can go hard wired from the wireless to the PC)...The need for the wireless is my ReplayTV which is one floor down (i.e. directly under the room with the wireless router).

For my ReplayTV, I use the ethernet connection, so this is why I need the wireless network (i.e. I can't run network wires to my tv easily).

I guess I need one of those "bridges" to plug into the ethernet port on the ReplayTV. Is this what I need?
    http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=36&prid=603

Is the above link 'overkill' or do I not have much choice but to buy such an expensive 'bridge' for the ReplayTV which basically needs a connection to update its' tv guide every few weeks.

Thanks

p.s. I also use the ReplayTV's network connection to upload photos from my computer, so I guess I really do need something like the above...

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

G is still on 2.4ghz AFAIK. It shouldn't interfere.

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Since G is backwards compatible with A and B I can only assume it is also 2.4 gHz. I should also add that I frequently use a 2.4 gHz phone right next to my laptop (wireless B connection to my gateway/router/dsl modem) and about 10 feet from my first TiVo (also wireless B.) I have never had a problem with the network while using the phone. I plan to upgrade to G by the end of hte month (I'm just waiting for my ISP to start supplying G upgrades to their installed base of B wireless routers in mid-month.) I doubt I'll see a problem, but I'll post something if I do.

Regards,

Joe

4. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

G is not backwards compatible with A.

B (11 Mbps) and G (54 Mbps) run in the 2.4 GHz band, and they have minimum channel spacings that give you about 3 usable channels. (This matters when you are trying to install enough access points to provide coverage for an entire office or school building. You want the ones close to each other to be using different channels.)

A (54 Mbps) runs in the 5 GHz band, and all channels are usable.

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Mark:

You will have to use the bridge with your Replay if you only have the Ethernet connection and no USB. If you have a newer model with the USB port you can go with the USB wireless unit and save a bunch of money.

I have a Ethernet Bridge on my older Replay and use the USB port for my newer model. I am using a Wireless B router and hub with no problems with my 2.4G cordless phones at all.

Linksys also has a wireless router/switch that will handle A/B/G so if you get a wireless G bridge and find out it gets interference in your setup you can always take that back and get an A type Ethernet bridge.

Parker

6. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Thanks for the correction. I was thinking that B was compatible with A, having long-since forgotten what little I learned about A when reading about wireless set-ups for my B wireless network.

Regards,

Joe

7. MarkHastings

So this means I won't have any issues with my 5.8 GHz phones?

Although, the ReplayTV only updates itseld in the middle of the night (every other week or so), so I guess I don't have to worry much about interference with the phones.

8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Mark:

I have never had an issue with it interfering with my phone lines using my 802.11b wireless. It makes a HUGE difference in downloading the EPG at night. For me it takes less than 2 minutes to download everything. Set up is easy as you just tell it to use your Ethernet connection and it finds your IP address, etc. for you. Compared to a phone line connection the Ethernet bridege to the router/switch is like comparing a Porsch to a Bicycle in the matter of speed.

I would get the Linksys A/B/G router/switch and the cheaper in cost Ethernet B bridge as the speed is more than fast enough to download your EPG, etc. I also have another ReplayTV upstairs that is hooked up to a wireless B connection and the two units talk to each other so whatever I have on my living room set up I can view on my upstairs setup and vise versa. I have had no problems except to say that when trying to fast forward, rewind or skip commercials while watching my living Replay on my upstairs Replay and vise versa there is a bit of a lag. Other than that it works flawlessly.

Getting the A/B/G router will also give you the option to upgrage to a G Ethernet bridge when the price comes down.

I have ordered mine thru Amazon as a lot of the time the have the best price on them and shipping is fast.

Parker

9. MarkHastings

Thanks for the suggestion. I may go with this router (i.e. B/G) since the A/B/G router was $169. Does this look like what I need? From the description, it looks like it does both B and G.

I was just looking at the B bridges for my ReplayTV and I have a new question. Do I get the Access Point or do I get the Bridge? From what the description says, I probably need the Bridge since the ReplayTV isn't a computer (with set up options)? Is this true or can I go with the cheaper access point?

I'd prefer the cheapest route, but I'm willing to buy the more expensive one if it makes things easier.