What's new

Another Wireless Internet Thread (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I am moving into a condo by June and just realized that I may need to either run ethernet cables or go wireless.

To avoid running cables through the walls, I have a question on wireless. When I first looked at wireless, it seems like the only question was to go with either B or G, but now there are TONS of options to choose from - HELP!

The Details:
1) I have DSL and only one computer (a desktop). I currently have a Linksys 4 port router and would prefer to stay with this brand.

2) The router would stay next to my computer, so I wouldn't need a wireless connection there (so as to avoid buying a wireless card to install). The place where I'd need the wireless is my ReplayTV.

I can always just use the phone modem in the ReplayTV (and avoid the wireless completely), but using the ethernet allows me to download recorded shows to my PC (as well as uploading photos). Since the ReplayTV only has an ethernet port, I obviously can't buy a PCI Wireless card and install it (like with my PC), so the question is, how do I get the wireless to the ReplayTV? I assume there is a wireless station I can attach to it? What's do I look for?

The last question is my method. I assume it's best to have the router next to my PC and connect an ethernet cable direct to the PC and use the wireless for the ReplayTV - as opposed to putting the router by my ReplayTV and using the PC for the wireless connection?

Any recommendations on wireless routers and stations?

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
For the ReplayTV you need a Wireless Ethernet Bridge.

Linksys makes them, check out their website. (WET11B...I think)

You'll use your computer more than the internet on the RTV so i suggest going wired with your comp. and wireless with the RTV, for performance issues.

Sorry for the brief post I only have a few minutes.

I'll check back later tonight or tomorrow and see if I can help you more.

mike

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Oh, that's what those things are, Thanks.

From what I remember, I should probably go with G instead of B because I will be going from one floor to the other. I would assume this is what I need (i.e. it works with DSL):
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=35&prid=601

I do see there's one that covers A, B, & G (for twice the price):
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=35&prid=664

Does anyone have issues with a 2.4gHz phone and a G network?

Although I don't see any bridges that do A, only G:
http://www.linksys.com/products/grou...rid=33&scid=36

and WOW, the G bridge is twice as much as the G router! :eek:

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Your best bet would be pre-n (pre-802.11n). It's got better distance and throughput than the g stuff. But I'm not sure if there are pre-n bridges available yet.

The 2.4GHz phone can potentially be a problem, but you can change the channel your network operates on (I think Linksys is 11 by default).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks