What's new

ANOTHER "Which Subwoofer?" POST! (1 Viewer)

KirkA

Agent
So here's the thing: I'm looking for a sub to finish off my new HT system. This project started off simple enough, I was pretty set on the "Parts Express" 10" Titanic kit for $350 but I just can't get excited about a 10" sub. I thought about a JBL PB12 but a couple posts have mentioned amp problems and that it's a little boomy. I've done lots of searches and keep coming back to "Acoustic Visions". SVS is pretty much out due to it's size and look.
The sub will be used 75% movies, 25% music. The room is 18' by 12' and has vaulted ceilings joining it to a room about the same size. I don't get to crank it up as often as I like but I want good tight looowwww bass. Speaker are JBL NSP1s. My speakers and reciever should arrive Monday so WTF (Wife Tolerance Factor) not to mention funding is pretty low, I'd like to stay under $400 but I'd rather pay more now than have to upgrade later.
One good thing is I was looking at different box sizes and set-ups and I noticed that Acoustic Visions is pretty close to me, like I could be there in about 25 minutes if I left now... ...that could save shipping costs anyway.
So my questions, which I'm slowly getting to, are these:
JBL PB12 vs Dayton Titanic 10" kit vs Acoustic Visions kit? Taking into account the price difference.
If Acoustic Visions then: what size box? ported or sealed? Will the "Parts Express" 250 watt amp work well?
Does anyone else have an Acoustic Visions sub? How do you like it?
Thanks for the help guys! I haven't posted much because I've been able to find answers to my questions through searches but this site has been great for helping be put my system together.:)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Kirk,

I don't have an Acoustic Visions sub, but I've built several subs using similar parts. Anything that Kyle builds you will outperform the Titanic sub or the JBL by a long shot.

I'd go with a ported enclosure myself. Size really comes down to what limitations you have. If you can get away with it, a 175L enclosure tuned to 17.5Hz using the PE 250W amp and a Tempest or Dayton DVC 15" driver will rock your world!

If you don't go with Acoustic Visions then I'd probably buy the Titanic kit. I imagine it'll outdo the JBL.

Brian

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget about the Adire Rava at $399. And the Hsu VTF2 at just a little bit over your budget. I've read it can be had for $450 deliverd but I'm not 100% sure if that is true or were you would get that deal.

I don't think Kyle can do your recommendation with a $400 budget Brian (but he is right, the sub he outlined would put a stupid grin on your face). But do get in touch with Kyle. Let him know your budget and goals and he'll steer you in the right direction (which might possibly be away from him).

KirkA

Agent
As much as I'd like the 175l it may be overkill even for me.
I found the "Adire" web site, it suck by the way. The Adire Rava looks like about what I'm after, best of all it comes finished.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks