Another what receiver thread..sorry.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RyanJE, Feb 4, 2005.

1. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

I know we've had a lot of these lately. I thought I could sponge off of all your past experiences since Ive never had any of these brands. Im looking at a refurbed Yamaha RX-V750 for $380.. Specs here..

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXV750.htm

or the pioneer 1014x. Most of you all know the specs. I can actually get both of those for $380. Or I could get a refurbed Onkyo SR602 for $280. Specs here...

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...class=Receiver

What do you guys think. I want something that I could use for the longest time period with out it going out of date. Im leaning toward the Yamaha. What do you guys think??

2. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

It seems the Onkyo has the same options as the others but it only has 85 watts per channel. But for 100$ cheaper 15 watts is no biggy.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    15w can be noticable. It goes back to the whole claimed vs real world power. I went from a Marantz 6200 with 105x6 to an 8300 with 120x6 and the difference in power was quite noticable.

I think any of those receivers is a big step up from a de597...

I installed a 601 for a client not too long ago and I felt it was a pretty darn good receiver.

4. Sidney

Sidney Stunt Coordinator

I'm not familiar with listening on any one of them.. but I would try going in for a demo of the unit. Otherwise I would do individual searches on those models to see what flaws/successes people had with them. Personally I like Yamaha, but currently I just switch to Denon 3805 to give it a try. I read the reviews and people's thoughts about them before I made my choice.

5. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Ive read reviews and of course they all got very good reviews. That just makes the decision harder. John I must be posting too often if you remeber my receiver. What are the 601's? Are they the 6 channel version? What would say about getting the 602 for 280. It seems like a damn good deal.

P.S. What is up-conversion, is it important?

P.S.S. Sorry John I just read my old thread. So youd go for the 1014. How can I get that one closed??

6. John Garcia

John
    Yes, the 601 is the previous model from the 602 (6ch, no auto-EQ). I picked up the open box 601 (basically brand new) for $399 with full factory warranty just before the 602 came out, so $280 for a refurb sounds about right.

I do remember your receiver, but I don't know if you mentioned how large your room is or what speakers you will be driving with it? It's a tough call for that $100 difference. For me, that 15w came at a rather steep price jump...almost $1K! There's a BIG difference between those two receivers though (and there better be [​IMG] ) I think it's worth it to go for a little higher end receiver now, rather than finding you need to upgrade sooner than you thought, and with the 750 or 1014, I think you will be less likely to feel the need than with the Onkyo.

Video upconversion allows you to output a single type of output when using various types of inputs (composite, s-vid, component). Some of the previous generations only allowed a single type of input/output to be used - if you used s-vid in, all other inptus had to be s-vid too. If you have enough inputs on your TV/display, you probably don't need to worry much about this.

7. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Im Probably gonna go with the 1014. Thanks for all the input. So if I use an s-video input for one source they all have to be that? I try to keep only one cable running to my tv and everything else goes to the amp. I ask becuase I would like to use an s-vid or component on my dvd.

I have a 14x14x8(h) room and I have Fluance speakers
    2 sv-6's
    2 sv10's
    1 AVSC
    JBL e250 subwoofer.

I have upgrade fever and will probably be getting new speakers soon. I want the Amp first.

Hey John, Do you know if the 1014 has an adjustable sub crossover. Or is it fixed at 80 because of THX.

8. John Garcia

John
    I don't know about the x-over, but since there is so much talk about it here, I'd say it wouldn't be hard to find out - someone on here will know.

IMO, use component for your DVD and go straigt to the TV.

9. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

OK.. Actually my tv is old school, it only accepts RCA. wouldn't all connections be limited to that quality because of this. If so is there any better rca cables that would help improve quality. I know cables are a controversial issue.

10. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

Here's something to consider. My Denon 3805 will not down convert video, it only up converts. If you have composite (RCA) going to the TV then everything will have to be composite. I don't know if the receivers you are looking at are the same way but I know for a fact that my Denon is this way and it even says so in the manual.

11. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

I would think that if the final connection to the T.V. is an RCA that this would limit the video quality anyway. Since a composite set up couldn't pass through the RCA. I guess in order to fix this I'll just have to wait until I get my flat screen HD in a couple of years. Oh well. At least if I get the 1014 it will be compatible when I do get HDTV.

12. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Well, if you have a fast connection, you can download the onkyo 602 manual from Onkyo's site. It might settle the whole upconvert/downconvert conundrum.

Manufacturers don't often like to advertise their product's weaknesses-- and often cover esoteric issues in the manual. I suppose a slightly disappointed owner muttering "Well, that would have been nice" is a better customer than the irate owner screaming into the phone "Why doesn't this blasted thing work properly?"

13. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Yea I dl'ed it. It doesnt upconvert. Pretty thourough manual though. Its 96 pages!! Looks pretty simple too.

14. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Ryan,

Sub crossover is adjustable on the 1014, but when you turn on the THX processing it will revert to 80hz.

15. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

Yeah the 1014 sounds like a great receiver and if the connection to the TV is composite you might as well hook everything up with composite. Why not just look into a rear projection TV and save some money and maybe get it a little sooner. They are getting rather cheap these days and still have a good picture. I went to Rex's with a friend the other day to get a cable for his sub and there was a Toshiba (I think) that had a mind blowing picture for a rear projection set. It had to be 46"-50" for like $899. I paid like $2100 for my Hitachi Ultravision about 5 years ago and its not even high -def. I have been very happy with it and when they get high def around here I will upgrade but that is the only reason I would.

16. DavidStaggs

DavidStaggs Auditioning

IMO, use component for your DVD and go straigt to the TV.

John, what are the component inputs in the back of your receiver for if you do not connect from your dvd to receiver, to the tv. I must be missing asomething as i am very new to this

17. John Garcia

John
    His TV doesn't HAVE component...

Component on the back of the receiver allows you to use the receiver as a switchbox if you don't happen to have enough inputs on your TV. If you have enough inputs on your TV, you don't NEED to hook the player's video output to the receiver.

18. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Yea my tv is a piece. So im asumning everything is limited to rca quality.