Another Video Card comparison question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by TrevorZ, Dec 24, 2004.

1. TrevorZ

TrevorZ Auditioning

Hello All,

I too am trying to decide on a new video card. I plan to use it eventually with MCE2005, and am decided on one of the following cards. Please give opinions.

ATI 9600 Pro
    nvidia FX5700
    nvidia FX5700 LE

Also, with the nvidia cards, what is the easiest way to connect them to an HDTV using component video?

I plan to use it in a dual monitor setup, with the PVR functions on the TV and the rest on my 19"CRT monitor.

Thanks for your help!
    Trevor.

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

#1 Stay away from the LE cards....they're labotomized halflings with no performance.

#2 The ATi offers better perfromance and PQ and continued updated drivers with more and more HT freindly features.

#3 The 5700 is a decent card, just the ATi is better for reasons stated above.

3. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Depends. Nvidia offers direct HDTV output over DVI in all their new drivers, something ATI can't get right to save it's life so far.. and Nvidia's NVDVD is far superior to anything ATI is putting out.

That having been said, the 9600 Pro is a dead card, ATI is primarily marketing the 9600 XT at this point, which is a very, very good card.

Both cards have solid perks that depend heavily on what you are doing. Both companies keep a pretty good stream of drivers going, with both of them getting larger and larger to download [​IMG]

You might find good answers dependant on what you are trying to do at review sites like tomshardware.com and anandtech.com

4. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

A transcoder($75-150) is necessary for nVidia, ATi makes a dongle that converts DVI to component, $45 shipped from their site.

5. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Nvidia also can provide you a dongle, FYI, and ASI and other national distributors carry it; it is marketed by companies like EVGA and MSI. Of course, if you're HDTV set has DVI in, you're better served with that from both cards [​IMG]

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I'd recommend a Geforce 6600GT - it should be retailing for about $200 US now. Very good card if you want to play DVDs and other HTPC stuff. Just be sure to get the new NVIDIA DVD Decoders and the 67.03 (or 71.20) beta graphics drivers.

PQ is quite amazing on the 6x00 series, particularly if you have a large screen!

BTW, the XFX makes many dual-DVI 6x00 NVIDIA cards...so it shouldn't be hard to find their dual-DVI Geforce 6600GT card. The 6600GT has the added bonus of a working WMV-HD hardware acceleration that is lacking with the 6800 line of cards (except some forms of the PCIe cards - but those are hard to find).

IMHO, the Geforce 6x00 are king of the hill when it comes to DVD playback at the moment.

I have an Asus V9999GT 256mb card (6800GT) hooked up to my Benq 8700+ DLP projector through the DVI port, and my 19" CRT attached to the standard VGA port. The image with just the NVIDIA DVD decoders is just as good as my Momitsu V880 upscaling DVI DVD player...but with the added bonus of playing the latest DiVX formats without choking. [​IMG]

If I waited a few weeks longer I could have ordered the XFX 6600GT card from NCIX.com...sure, it is slower in games, but it is a lot cheaper ($320 CDN) and should be just as good as the 6800 cards for HTPC work...

Oh BTW - if you can only use component video, you will somehow need to find a dongle that can hang off the VGA or DVI port of the card. I don't know how the NVIDIA users at avsforum.com found theirs.

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

NCIX is having a sale on the XFX 6600GT 128mb Dual DVI card...$280 CDN right now, until the 4th of January.

8. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

The 6600GT is better then the 6800GT in terms of video acceleration in terms of HiDEF WMV, as it has hardware decoding capabilities the 6800 does not.. it's a solid recommend for most [​IMG]

9. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

Correct me if I am wrong, and in this case I want to be, but I thought some TV DVI inputs (Sony for example) are not compatible with computer video card DVI outputs. Is this the case with the cards mentioned?

10. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hmm, I never heard of any compatibility issues with Sony TVs that are not Sony's fault - the EDID issue is a touchy subject for some Sony projector owners. I don't know about the rear-projection TVs though.

DVI also contains analog signals, if those are needed.

Damn, NCIX is having a big sale on eVGA 6800 Ultra cards...only $30 CDN more than my Asus 6800GT which does NOT have dual DVI. Arrgh. [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Many manufacturers also state this becaue they are trying to prevent customers putting static images on their TV's like a Windows desktop and causing burn-in on the screen.

12. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Ah ha! Somewhat true, but not quite [​IMG] In fact, I'm using an Nvidia with a Sony KP57WV700 set, and have had no problems using hte DVI. The reason: Nvidia's newer drivers have an HDTV over DVI mode, and it deals with refresh rate issues, properly identifies my SonyTV, and sets resolution accordingly.

[​IMG]