Another Victim of the Van Man speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Hine, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

I just got a call in the office from a guy asking about Pro Dynamics speakers. I hadn't heard of them so I asked them where he got them. He said someone was selling them on the side of the road for $100 a piece and the box said $1500 each. I told him he could bring them on in and I'd be more than happy to take a look-see with him. But I'm fearing the worst. I'm almost certain there won't be a crossover! [​IMG]
    Anyhow, just wanted to throw a heads up to any Charlotte, Fort Mill and Rock Hill dwellers here. It seems we've now got the White Van speakers to! [​IMG]
    Dan Hine

2. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

There's been a pair of these in the Tampa Tribune paper for the last month or so. I always wanted to call and see if it's someone selling them cause they bought them and found out they got ripped off, or if this was the original seller.

Funny. I think they were asking about $150/each, if I remember correctly. They had a list of $1500, too.

Aaron

3. SanfordL

SanfordL Stunt Coordinator

I thought that was just around here. There have been a couple of guys in the Beautiful Bensenville, IL area (freight forwarders, truckers, and heavy industry is the only thing here) driving around selling "Studio Monitors for $300.00." They drive in a cargo van, have a real receipt from a custom install "they just got finished with, and these were left over...[​IMG] ) I have been approached twice, both times just saying no. I can tell you, one guy I used to work with bought a pair, and he got a nice Paradigm box, and a couple of cinder blocks for his money. Whatta deal. An idiot and their money are soon parted.

4. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Cynder blocks? They are equivalent to $500 speaker stands.

5. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I had a run in with them a few years ago.I was on my way to Ovation(a higher end a/v shop) and told the guy if he would like to bring them along and do a side by side during the demo he could.He said,well,I have to get back to work but you can buy them and if you do not like them you can get a refund..I said,well,let me think about it,I will be back later if decide I like the idea of buying somthing I cant demo first and have no gurantee on.

6. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Chad,

I frequent the Ovation in Lexington, Kentucky. Did you get offered van speakers in Kentucky?

7. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

Im in Jersey, and a few months a week after I bought my B&Ws I was walking across a parking lot and an "A-Team" van pulls up. Murdoch opens the door and asks if I want a home theater. Yeah buddy sure.
    Well theres a sucker born quite often now [​IMG]
    Mike

8. Heath_R

Heath_R Stunt Coordinator

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    A friend and I had the same thing happen, on separate days. I was coming away from the ATM, and there comes the A-team. I took a look at the speakers, and they looked like complete crap to me, even for the price - mylar tweeters, cheap paper woofers with foam surrounds. I told him I already have much nicer speakers than those, so he got in and they drove away.

My friend thought it sounded like a great deal, but still told them no. This was in San Jose, Ca.

10. Chris Rein

Chris Rein Stunt Coordinator

Well, I can safely say that I made the right decision to say "No Thanks"!

I was at a mall here in town (NorthPark) and a Green SUV pulled up. He asked if I wanted to buy a subwoofer. I said, "Nah". The guys the said that they have a few left over from some installs (invoicing error) and needed to move them before they returned. They then went on saying that they worked a this local HT shop in town. Well, I pretty much knew all the folks that worked at this particular home theater place and knew they were full of it. They then drove off trying to find someone to buy the woofs.

Very interesting indeed.

11. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I once found an article on the 'net where a DIY speaker builder was accosted by the "white van" sales pitch. He sat them down and talked to them for a while to find out they were from some outfit in Canada and that the speakers were in fact legit... although they were pretty crappy low-end. They just want you to think they are stolen and therefore think you are getting a "good deal".
    And they even went on to explain that the reason they are always in a white van (at least used to be) is that white vans were the cheapest to rent. [​IMG]
    I wish I could find the article... I've picked the web over.. it was quite humourous.
    I have been hit up twice here in Milwaukee. I must have "speaker-geek" written on my face someplace.

12. Steve_W

Steve_W Agent

I had a run in with these white van people almost 10 years ago in college. Same scam, they had a real reciept, claim that the factory gave them an "extra" pair, and that they were trying to get rid of it for way under cost.

Funny thing is that in my first job after college I met a guy that had worked this scam. He was from Illinois, but applied for this job it turns out to be a scam. They sent him to Canada for the summer months, selling these low end speakers out of a van. He says he made some pretty good money doing it. He had a good laugh when he found out I showed some interest in these speakers..he said alot of college kids were duped in this scam..

13. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

Yeah some magazine last year bot some and reviewed them and took them apart. One speaker's wires were disconnected but all in all they said they had $50 in parts.

Its an american tradition, trying to get the best deal. ie tea prices too high -> f'em revolt, get a country, make ur own tea and sell it back to them

Mike

14. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Mike,
    That was Home Theater Magazine and they were approached RIGHT OUTSIDE THEIR OFFICE! LOL[​IMG] Those speakers also had no crossover whatsoever.
    The guy who asked if I had heard of Pro Dynamics speakers never came in. I almost wonder if he's the guy selling them and wanted to see if I was a big enough sucker to want to distribute them!
    Dan Hine

15. Thomas F

Thomas F Stunt Coordinator

I have a confession. About 20 years ago, I was approached by a guy in a white van in north Houston. He said he had delivered some speakers somewhere, but had some "extra inventory" and would give me a good deal. I believed the story, and they looked like good quality speakers (I was stupid), and paid him $175 for the pair. I took them home and hooked them up in my 22' camper parked behind the frat house. I thought they sounded pretty good at first, but as time went on, I began to question other people what they thought. I was happy with them, but I had nothing to compare them to. I lived with them about a year and a half before they were stolen. I guess I was the perfect victim, young and stupid. I won't tell you about the "Rolex" I bought for $190.[​IMG]

16. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

I think that here in Houston you can legaly shoot the white van guys. Pssst, hey buddy...yea, over here. Check this out... you wanna buy some speBANG!
    [​IMG]

17. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Thomas F,
    DOn't you mean you bought a Rolux with Quartz Mov't? [​IMG]
    I love how these White Van Scammers prey on totaly clueless
    and semi clueless individuals with speaker names such as..
    Denmark (DynAudio?)
    Paradyme (Paradigm)
    Acoustic (Acoustic Research)
    AudioPhile (Who the hell knows)
    ProDynamic (ProAc ?)
    Dogg Digital (Who the hell knows)
    Epiphany (Yeah, You'll have an ephiphany after you realize you got screwed!)
    [​IMG]

18. Thomas F

Thomas F Stunt Coordinator

I was thrilled that I bought a genuine "Rolex". When I told my cousin, he just started laughing without even looking at it. Then I started looking at it more carefully and noticed some condensation inside the watch and the face would move when I jiggled the crown. It worked for another 45 minutes before dying. Anybody want to buy a good used "Rolex"? [​IMG]

19. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I have been approached before by the white van scammers. It was in the parking lot at Ralphs. The guy said "Hey, are you looking to buy some speakers?" I said "Yeah, but I'm just thinking about it right now." That's all I had to say and he was gone. I doubt I would have bought into the speaker scam as I am a spellmaster and actually know the difference between Paradigm and Paradyme. Plus, that white van thing seemed very suspicious at the time, IMO. Who the heck would legitimately sell speakers out of a van?

20. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John