What's new

Another victim of HK bugs, is it even worth getting HK AVR7000 fixed?? (1 Viewer)

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Alex' point is that you can test the preamp section of the H/K without buying an amp. Just hook it up to your fathers receiver inputs (CD f.e.), hook a source to your H/K and play it through the Onkyo. If you get sound from both left and right you can use a separate amp with the H/K.

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
I guess I should have been more specific, my father lives in NJ and I live on Long island. Not THAT far away but not exactly around the corner either. I am actually planning on going there in a few weeks, but I'd prefer to get an answer before than. i could probably figure something out though....

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Go to a store that will allow you to return the amp.

Where in LI? I used to live in Port Washington but that has been almost a decade now. Nice area around this time of the year.

Alex F.

Second Unit
Kevin:

It may not be an ideal way to test, but you could use your TV if it has an audio line input.

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
yeah thats a good idea if all i need to find out is if it works, its a JVC 32-D series tv which I very much like by the way (great picture for non-HDTV) and it has front av inputs.

I am eyeing up Parasound 1500A amps by the way-you can get them for $400-$500 used - not bad for an audiophile grade amp...

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
Ok, I just called the shop (I hadn't heard from they yet, 2 weeks gone by). they said its got a "blown output stage" and it will be $249 to fix.

Now when I hooked up the speaker, there was a tiny bit of sound coming out of the speaker that you couldnt really hear unless you put your ear up to it. Could it be "blown" if it still was putting out a signal, even though a tiny one?

I am not sure if its worth it to pay the $250 only for the reason that it worrys me if there is something else wrong with the unit that is causing the problem, that may keep recurring... i can't keep lugging this thing down to the repair shape, being without sound for a month and paying $250 a pop every time it happens...

EDIT: if it is a "blown output stage" whatever that is, does this mean I would not be able to hook up an external amp to bypass the problem?

Shiu

Second Unit
I think that means your pre-amp, therefore pre-outs, would likely be in working order.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Sounds reasonable to me and it'd be something that you could ask the techs to confirm. My understanding about blown output stages Kevin is that they're due to a few reasons.
You were listening too loud and the excessive temperatures contributed to the problem.
Some amps, don't know about yours, have a transistor and/or a diode on the heat sink (it's usually just mechanically attached) that's supposed to track the temperature and make adjustments to the bias current. If yours has this (call them) it should be part of the repair.
You shorted out your amp outputs. If you're using bare wire to make your connections switch over to spades/bananas. This is a surprisingly common reason.
Can't say as to whether its worth it to you as I don't know what you could sell it for after its fixed.

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
Thanks very much Chu,

Well i just bought a Parasound HCA-1500A which I will be using to power the front two channels, does this mean I can skip getting my receiver fixed and just use the pre-outs (the only thing wrong with it is the left front channel the other 4 are fine) since the fronts will now be powered by the parasound?

As for as the wire, you mean speaker wire right? well for my center and surrounds I did have radio shack zip cord hooked up, for the right and left its Monster Z1 cable with bannan plugs.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Only if you confirm from the repair shop that there's no problems with the preouts and yes, I meant the speaker wire.

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
isnt the problem that they told me separate from the pre-outs?

I honestly don't 100% trust what they will tell me if I ask them if i can use the pre-outs for an external amp, b/c than they don't get paid to repair it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks