Another unanswerable PC question (Win98 and CDs)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Maskeeper, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Since you guys did such a great job solving my first computer riddle (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=55207), I jhave decided to approach the forum knowledge base with another which has been in the depths of my mind since 1996.
    Ok, windows has a "Default" cd player application assigned within it. This is the application that pops up when you insert a cd (or you have one of those Logitech enhanced keyboards, the program that pops up when you push the play button).
    Now, I cannot find the place where this default cd player is assigned. I have checked the multimedia settings, it is not there. I have checked the CD drive settings in device manager, no luck there either.
    And I know many will suggest the file association area- but that's not it either. Although one would assume that it would be the file associated with CDA files, it is not. In win98, they have done away with the "CDA" file extentions association, and it says AUDIO CD in the file associations area-- but I have mine pointing to winamp- yet the default pop up continues to be Windows CD player.
    I noticed this problem back in 1996 with win95. If you would download a cd player from the internet, it would make itself the default cd player. If you decided you didn't like that player and removed it- there was no way to change where the default player link pointed, so inserting a cd would result in a windows error (so I'd have to copy my exe for the cd player I wanted to use and rename it the name windows was looking for!)
    I had people back then swear to me it was a simple setting somewhere- only to call me hours later, also completely unable to find it. I assume there is a registry entry somewhere... but I have never been able to find it.
    Any thoughts?
    -V

2. Pat K

Pat K Stunt Coordinator

Go to My Computer, right click on your CD Drive, click the AutoPlay Tab, then theres a menu, select music, then select the program you want.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Go into regedit, and check the default value of the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/AudioCD/shell/play/command. It should be:

"%SystemRoot%system32cdplayer.exe /play %1" (note that this is on Windows 2000, it might be different in Win98, but you get the idea)

Also check HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/cdafile/shell/play/command, it should have the same value.

KJP

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

What Kevin said.

That was an easy one Vince, gee I thought you had another major dilemma for us to solve.

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer