Another twist to the supplement/steroid controversy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

In a recent story about the trade of Billy Koch from the A's to the White Sox, I was struck by the following:

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

On a similar note, I know there has been controversy over people who have had their leg(s) amputated and now wear prostethic aids participating in sports. It seems that runners who use artificial limbs specifically designed for running actually seem to do better than their natural-legged counterparts. Obviously it still takes a lot of training but they've found that the light, yet sturdy metals, springs, and overall design of the prosthetic device actually functions more efficiently than a human foot/leg. I've heard of instances where college athletes with prosthetic devices were not allowed (or being considered to not be allowed) to compete against people with human legs.

I don't have any further information, that's pretty much all I can remember from an article I read, but that's certainly more food for thought.

3. Bill Harada

Bill Harada Stunt Coordinator

We can rebuild him. We have the technology...Better than he was before. Better...Stronger...Faster
    And it doesn't even take $6M anymore. [​IMG]

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I once read an article about laser eye surgery. However, this type of surgery, instead of reshaping your cornea to your eyeglass prescription, would use a computer to reshape it to exactly fit your retina. This means you would have better than human vision... about the equivilent of a fox the article said.

The article closed by stating that the military and some professional sports teams were interested in the procedure.

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

*tasteless remark about wrist exercises suppressed*