another tron problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by andrew markworthy, Jan 18, 2002.

1. andrew markworthy

This is a problem with Tron which I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. Basically, some of the colours on the computer character's uniforms seem to 'bleed' or be a series of close parallel lines rather than a solid colour (it particularly applies to reds). Is this intentional, because I can't recall it being present when I saw the movie. Curiously enough, the only other time I've had a similar problem is on another Disney disc, namely, Fantasia 2000, where the necks of the flamingos in the yo-yo sequence appear to be fuzzy rather than solid.

I have a reasonable enough system (Panasonic player, Phillips 32 inch) and have never had problems of this sort with any other discs. Is this just an individual system mismatch, or have others experienced the same?

2. Doug_L

Doug_L Stunt Coordinator

Not sure about this, but it sounds like this might be the Chroma Bug. This page has an excellent explaination:http://http://www.hometheaterhifi.co...ug-4-2001.html
    Are the lines on their uniforms horiztontal or vertical? What kind of DVD player and TV are you using? Do either have progresseive scan / line doubler?

3. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

Andrew, can you provide a specific time code? I can take a screen grab on my computer, and show you how it looks.

4. andrew markworthy

Marty, really, it's any point in Tron where there are vertical (or near vertical) thin lines (the effect is strongest on red). A good example is at 35.33, when Sark's 'ship' (which has a lot of vertical thin red lines) arrives. There's also an interesting moment where the red neon-lit helicopter lands near the start of the movie - as the shot goes round the helicopter, as a red neon lines become vertical, they 'break up' into sets of lots of tiny parallel diagonal lines.

The effect can be lessened by turning the TV's picture sharpness to zero, and ensuring that the dynamic contrast is off (my player is a Panasonic 140 [?] and my set is a Phillips Matchline 32 inch, and both have been excellent on any other DVD).

I would say that it's purely the fault of my system, but I have the old DVD of Tron as well, and that plays without any problems.

5. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

Welcome to the wonderful world of down-conversion...

Daniel L

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

If the new Tron SE DVD is ANAMORPHIC and the old Tron DVD is not, and if you have an interlaced player and NTSC TV, then I suspect it is downconversion you are seeing. On my JVC TV, I can go into the service mode and do the "anamorphic squeeze". Problem is, I have to do it for each DVD, especially if the aspect ratios are different. I haven't tried it yet, because I'm too lazy. Perhaps you could look for an anamorphic squeeze for your set and that might help you determine what the problem is.