Another thought about SVS...

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Chuck Schilling, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling Stunt Coordinator

Certain weekends I have a lot of time on my hands (like this weekend, for example), and out of boredom I'll do searches on eBay for things I already own - whether it's stuff I collect, or tools, or home theater gear - what have you. In any case, it occurred to me that I have never seen an SVS subwoofer offered for sale on eBay - I'm not saying that one has NEVER been sold on eBay, but I have looked on more than one occasion and never seen one offered for sale. The closest I came is today someone offered a 12" driver (sans enclosure) from an SVS sub.

I think that's an awesome sign for SVS. The only conclusion I can draw is that people that are buying SVS subs are KEEPING them - and when they do decide to upgrade to the next-level SVS sub, are selling them to their buddies who have had the chance to hear them.

I know this is speculative, but I think it's a logical inference and indicative of just how great a value these subs are.

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

True, you won't see many SVS for sale, especailly on eBay, you can usually find one or two of the older models on Audiogon once in awhile.

3. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Yeah - personally since SVSs dont get posted up that much, I think the demand would be less than say you posted it on an hifi site like Audiogon. But yeah, they are really hard to come by used and since the warranty and etc are transferrable, the resale value is relatively high. You could say they are like the Honda / Toyotas of hifi resale. [​IMG]

4. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

I think your logic is perfectly valid.

I sold my 20-39PC+ to a friend, and I'll do the same with my PB2+ when I upgrade to the PB2-Ultra.

He in turn will sell his (my old) 20-39PC+ to another local SVS owner who currently has a 25-31PCi. We might have to list the 25-31PCi on eBay, or probably just list it here.

We like to keep things "in the family" when it comes to SVS and spread the wealth. [​IMG]

Regards,

Ed

5. Art C

Art C Agent

They can have my svs sub when they pry it out of
    my cold dead hands. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. terence

terence Supporting Actor

A buddy of mine had a 20-39PC+ so did I, and we both wanted to upgrade to the new PB2+. So since i had the $$$.$$ at the time I bought his, and could not be happier! [​IMG] SVS's sell themselves once heard by some.

7. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Gee ED,

I thought the PB2+ was all you needed buddy?! LOL [​IMG]

I see you got upgradeitis again.

8. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I agree terence. Did you notice when Ed started talking about the 2-ULTRA he would say (possibly upgrade). Now when it is mentioned he says (when I upgrade)[​IMG] I'm afraid poor Ed has been bitten.

9. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Yep, that's how starts with the I might, probaly, maybe oh what the hell I'm doing it!

It would be great if we all lived on the same street, we could play around with this stuff to no end. [​IMG]

10. Edward J M

Yeah, I've been lusting after that TV-12 driver since I laid eyes on it. I certainly don't need any more SPL, but there will be a slight but noticeable difference in SQ (to my ears anyway), the all wood finish will be gorgeous, and the PEQ will be another tool in my tweaker's arsenal.

The puppy is older now, so I'm hoping he won't chew the corner off the PB2-U when I'm not looking.

I guess I should get my ass in gear and put in the pre-order; when I recently inquired, SVS claimed very brisk sales already for the PB2-Ultra.

11. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Well sounds good! Can't wait for the ED debut review of your new PB-U. [​IMG]

12. Edward J M

How does this sound:

1/24 octave FR sweeps in all 6 tunes, before/after PEQ FR sweeps in my favorite tune, THD at various frequencies and volumes, and maybe even IM distortion thrown in for good measure - all with a professionally calibrated test rig?

And of course lots of subjective evaluations for the latest hot DVDs and music, SPL peaks w/ time stamps for those big bass hits than make lesser subs fold like a dinner napkin, and even some super hi-rez photos with a studio grade digital camera to show off what will undoubtedly be a furniture grade finish.

Whaddya think for starters? [​IMG]

13. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Sounds great to me Ed.[​IMG] Make it happen.

14. terence

terence Supporting Actor

I think this just might be the BEST consumer review on a sub ever! Bring it on![​IMG]

15. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Very few people know about SVS, so there is simply no market for the subs on eBay.

16. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

i already ordered my pb1-isd just waiting for it to be shipped... [​IMG] the wait is just killing me... Tom told me 3 days... but Derrick told me it's back ordered and i won't get mine for another week at least... [​IMG]... i understand business is booming, but the wait just killing me... as long as i get it before superbowl, i'm happy!!!!

17. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

In addition, SVS is audio freak gear, and most people who buy a SVS will keep it like we have said. Cool!!!

However, same thing with mu JBL HT series gear, most of it is installed in home theaters in Marin County, or owned by people who really like home theater, and because of that, NOTHING on eBay - which sucks for me [​IMG]

18. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I saw an auction on Ebay for a 16-46CS when I was looking for a sub last October. The auction was cancelled but the bidding was around $500 last I checked. I bought a 25-31PCi new from SVS after exchanging many e-mails w/Tom V.

19. Craig Forsythe

I saw an SVS last year on ebay, it ended up selling for like $100 less than what it woulda cost new.

There was an HSU 3r on ebay last week that sold for 25 bucks more than what you could have bought it for new using the sales code on AVS.

Based on that, I'd rather give the company money directly)

20. Greg Kennedy

Greg Kennedy Agent

JohnnyN, I feel your pain. I've already tried throwing a pity party a few times on the message board, but no one wants to attend. I have faith that the wait will be worth it. Maybe we should form some sort of support group in the interim.

I'm having pre-sub delivery depression, Doctor. Can you help?

gk