Another TEMPEST SONOSUB thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Angelo_Petralba, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

Hello All-

I finally got my 2nd Tempest in today and I already have all my gear for the Sonosub Project.

My Question is, is it NECESSARY to use the T-NUTS type screws? Is it extra work? Would regular wood screws be fine considering that it will be facing down and the weight of the driver might loosen up the screws?

Also, will a regular speaker post (Clip on type) rather than the binding ones be suffecient?

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Angelo

2. Angelo_Petralba

Oh and another thing..is it OK to tune the sub @ 14HZ?

I have about 197L TOTAL internal volume (this includes the Driver and Port Displacement) and I really dont want to cut the pair of PF3 (ports) which is 17 Inches long each.

When I plugged it in lspCAD it shows a tuning freq of 14+ HZ. will this hurt my driver?

thanks

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

There are shortcuts you can take, and then there are shortcuts you should not take. On the matter of t-nuts, I say that are worth the trouble. If not t-nuts, then at least use threaded inserts.

If you're screwing through MDF, using just wood screws is a gamble that the MDF doesn't "worked" through (and if you need to take the driver out later, there is a good probability that wood screws won't hold the driver in as tight was the first time as a bit of MDF will be lost through the repeated screwings/unscrewings).

If you tune it that low by keeping the 17" length, you'll provide more protection for the driver, but at the cost of SPLs down low. You'll be "pulling" the frequency response curve down with such a low tune, and might not get the low end output you were going for.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

You won't be tuning it that low with a pair of FP3 vent kits. Take a look at this page:
    http://www.adireaudio.com/Tech%20Papers/vent_kits.htm
    It's instructions on how the vent kits are to be used. The important part is that 17" is the total length of the kit assembled (if you don't cut the center pipe). The basic jist is you cut the center pipe to 5" less than the calculated required vent length. When finished the vent should be 1" longer than calculate to account for the flares. So you should be entering 16" instead of 17" into LspCAD. So 197L with dual FP3 vent kits will tune to 15.6hz not 14hz.

5. Angelo_Petralba

Pat,Dustin-

Thank you very much for the inputs. These help me out a lot and im just hoping that this is DONE before SuperBOWL XXXVI that way I'll have a ROCKIN BOOMIN SuperBowl!!

I cant wait!!!

Thanks again.

Angelo

6. Angelo_Petralba

Ok...I finally Finished the Construction of the Sonosub and put everything together. How long to I have to wait for this Culk to cure? I Did the Bottom part last night and I did the Top Part today. Everything is hooked up and just needs to be plugged in to the amp...Should I wait till the culk cures to start playng it?

Thannks

Angelo

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Whatever the directions on the side of the caulk says for the period of time to cure should be the amount of time to wait for heavy duty subwoofer use, but for light use, you should be able to listen after a few hours.

8. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

HOLY CRAP!!

Angelo, I'm here in Oxnard too!! Wow, never met anyone online that actually lived here too! Maybe we'll be able to here eachothers Sonosub's from across town!

Just wanted to say hi to a fellow Oxnardian. Good luck with the Sonosub, they rule!

Mike

9. Angelo_Petralba

MIke-
    That would be GREAT!!..I had it going for the SuperBowl and MAAANN!!..my friends are like..WOW..this thing really ROCKS the house..and It literally DOES!!
    My Windows vibrate..hell EVEN my TV Screen vibrates with this. It feels like an AFTERSHOCK of the recent earthquake we just had!
    I love it..and I just hope that this thing will last..It seems that the AVA250 is doing quite a Job on it considering its not even built on its own box..It's just laying there!
    I don't know if that QSC 1450 I just purchased is even necessary. Oh well i'll sell it i guess.
    Drop me a line sometime.
    my email is [email protected]
    Angelo