What's new

Another T2 Special Edition (1 Viewer)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
A couple things:

1) Edge enhancement on the current release. I, like a member above, have a 19" television and I still cannot see edge enhancement!!!!!! I must be missing something.

2) Repurchase? HELL NO. As members may have read in other topics, a re-release must have plenty of NEW features/footage to justify a re-purchase.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Adam,

I would think it would be very difficult to see EE on a 19" monitor. Edge enhancement begins to become noticable and apparrent as you move up the size chain. The bigger the screen, the more EE stands out and becomes bothersome.

Bruce

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Matt Pelham says:

The current T2:Ultimate edition is practically unwatchable due to Edge Enhancement (and I only have a 19 inch TV!!). I would settle for a new version with a better transfer. Count me in as a purchaser of the new edition.
Exaggeration?

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Exaggeration?
No. Atypical. I guess I shouldn't have said "see". Maybe the correct word would be "bothered". I myself doubt if I could see EE on that size monitor but perhaps someone else can. But I still think it wouldn't be apparent, let alone make the disc unwatchable.
Bruce

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
What's the harm in a new release? If you don't want it, don't buy it. If you want it, get it. As Chick Hearn always said, "No harm, no foul."

Travis D

Second Unit
They'll add a PnS version to disc 1 by lowering the video bandwidth on the Widescreen version. Trust me...

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I doubt there will be any reason for me to purchase T2 again. I'm quite happy with the Ultimate Edition and the DVHS.

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
DD-EX and DTS-es matrix aren't good enough, I want DTS-es Discrete! ;)
It's sad that I would actually buy it just for that, but I would.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I am certain that Travis has it dead-on: the reason for this new release is to put out the full-screen version. Look at all the other BS, uh, I mean FS releases Artisan has put out recently. :frowning:

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Besides a new transfer, I wouldn't mind a new documentary. On the set out right now, there's an EPK doc, a Deleted Scenes doc, and a doc on the Universal Studios attraction. But something a bit grander and more informational about the film itself would get me to buy this. There's the Ultimate Supplement videos, but they only last about a minute or two each and feature 10 year old interviews! A new commentary might also sweeten the deal.
Also, a $15 rebate cuopon wouldn't hurt.:D

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
If they confirm the new SE would contain a P/S version, I will go out and get the Ultimate version, especially if it involved lowering bit-rates just to cram that shit on the disc.

Bruce

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
not to get off topic, but am i the only one that thinks the transfer on T2:UE wasn't that hot? am i expecting too much from a 10 year old film?
edit - apparently i am not alone in my thoughts. :D I watched this this morning (had it for a long time, hadn't tried it on my RPTV yet) and was very disappointed by the EE.
It's disappointing that the EE is so bad on visually spectacular films like SW:TPM and T2:UE. I seriously don't have much interest in watching either of them again as it's more annoying than enjoyable.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Not a big fan of the current release. I mean, it's a loaded, generally well-transferred special edition, but I think the kitchen-sink approach doesn't work that well... hate the video game "easter egg" crap... the extended scenes version positively sucks... blah blah blah (you really don't need to hear this)
BUT BUT BUT, ARTISAN NEEDS TO SCRAP THIS RIDICULOUS PLOY TO LEVERAGE MORE $ OUT OF YOUR POCKETS SO THAT THEY CAN BUCKLE DOWN AND FINISH TWIN PEAKS: SEASON 2 BEFORE THE POOR SOULS WHO WEREN'T THERE DURING THE ORIGINAL BROADCAST GO AND SPOIL IT FOR THEMSELVES... AND SO THAT WE LONG-TIME FANS ALSO CAN BE APPEASED!
(And how about an anamorphic, special edition of the complete, uncensored "Breaking the Waves" while you're at it? Better yet, license it to Criterion.)

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
Hi Ed,

i have been too busy to continue work on my HD vs DVD reviews.

The problem with doing a thorough screenshot comparison of a D-Theater title like T2 vs its DVD counterpart, is that D-Theater is heavily crypted, so i am not capable to do any direct digital screen caputres in the HTPC with that source. It IS possible to do this with normal non-DTheater HD material, though.

The only possibility to actually capture D-Theater material would be through actual screenshots with my camera, but that isn't revealing enough to show the very finest differences in detail and artefacting. The vast difference in detail between HD and DVD would be narrowed quite a bit. I will still try to do this someday and see how it works out, though.

So, you can look forward to HD vs DVD comparisons of Shrek, Vertical Limit, Snatch, Braveheart, Mission Impossible 2 and Gladiator in the closer future.

Later probably Titanic, Toy Story 2, Sleepy Hollow, Analyze This, Final Fantasy, Professional and a lot more.

The difference in detail between normal HD material and DVD is already bigger than many might anticipate. And its as big or even bigger with D-Theater material, due to having almost twice the bitrate.

I will post a little sneak peak in my annoucement thread.

Thanks for the interest!
Bjoern

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Is that list of films a list of upcoming DVHS releases? Why have I not seen it elswhere?
I'm very excited about a few of those. Where can I find your announcement thread?

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
No John, thats exactly what i was getting at :) These are normal HD recordings and NOT actual pre-recorded D-Theater releases.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Oh :frowning:.
I can only do D-Theater as my cable provider does not provide an IEEE output. I was most looking forward to recording, but to date cannot.
How do you go about doing recordings?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks