What's new

Another T2 Special Edition (1 Viewer)

TysonK

Agent
I heard about another release of a T2 dvd about 8 months ago. The CEO of Artisan mentioned it in an interview. I agree with most of you that it's pointless for another release since the current release has everything imaginable. The only thing that was left out from the laserdisc box set was the guns n' roses video. I'm thinking that the only thing that would be added is T3 trailers and a preview and also a repackaging of the set. Now this could be lame but I could see Artisan actually spreading all material on the current 2 disc to 3 discs just to make the package seem really cool. Make a statement of our dissatisfaction by not buying the set.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I own the first Artisan T2 DVD (which is still selling for $32 on Amazon!) and skipped on the Ultimate Edition. By the looks of things, I might go ahead and buy the next SE instead of the UE, which I've been putting off for awhile now.
Bruce

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I think the EE on this title is pretty extreme, (Check the halos around the words on the police cruiser door when The evil term. shows up at the kid's door...) Especially compared to some of the more recent DVD releases, (Training Day, etc..) The transfer COULD be done a little better. Doubtful that this will ocuur though...
:) D

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

Seeing how EE was also employed to make the D-VHS copy of T2 (though much reduced), I also have my doubts that it will recieve a better transfer. Perhaps they will follow up on the D-VHS release with reducing or eliminating the EE on this next SE.

Bruce

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
John,
If it is a 2-disc set, it may not be in a snapper. As stated, this is Warner, and they could make a 2-disc snapper especially for this release . Just think about a 2-disc snapper!!! That would be horrible! You also can't forget that Warner also released all of the Stanley Kubrick films and The Matrix in a snapper.
Since you just woke up from a coma, WB has switched to gatefold packaging for 2-disc sets...for about a year.
WB uses snappers because it's what they use, not because they think lowly of their titles. I'm sure they felt so low about 2001 that they made a new 65mm transfer for the remastered DVD. Oh yeah...they had Lolita, Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, and Barry Lyndon remastered from the negatives at great cost for the DVD set because they hated the films. :D

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I have a feeling that this will likely be a repressing of the same disc, possibly with a T3 preview. I also think that releasing the disc at a lower MSRP might be part of the strategy here. Since the UE is almost 2 years old now, it still has a pretty hefty price tag. There are many other 2 disc sets for much less. Also, a new release will probably get more press, bringing in the hordes of new DVD adopters from the past two years to buy a title they might not have looked at in the myriad of catalog titles not on the new release racks.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Patrick,

I was only joking about Warner's use of snappers. I know that they use gratefold on the 2-discs.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
The current T2:Ultimate edition is practically unwatchable due to Edge Enhancement (and I only have a 19 inch TV!!). I would settle for a new version with a better transfer. Count me in as a purchaser of the new edition.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I doubt very much that we will see a new transfer. (I think it could be improved.) I think this will be something similar to Men in Black's new release.

TomJD

Agent
Will only consider this if James Cameron restores 15 more minutes of deleted footage.By the way,whatever happened to James Cameron?

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I already have this Ultimate DVD edition, so no need to upgrade unless they add the Guns N Roses video would be added which is highly unlikely.

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe if they included a "live" commentary instead of the one that is currently on the Ultimate edition dvd. It would have to include major players like Cameron or Arnold for me to even think of purchasing it. Of course, the fact that the ultimate edition doesn't work too well on my player might motivate me a bit too.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
He has been working on a new Imax movie called GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS, chronicling the many deaths associated with the grueling shoot of THE ABYSS.
;) Just kidding...it's about deep sea ocean life. He was reportedly trying to get the first ever shots of a giant squid.
He also produced the new version of SOLARIS that's coming out.

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
Bruce,

Seeing how EE was also employed to make the D-VHS copy of T2 (though much reduced), I also have my doubts that it will recieve a better transfer. Perhaps they will follow up on the D-VHS release with reducing or eliminating the EE on this next SE.
Actually, the D-Theater version of T2 doesn't have any actual edge enhancement, like the mediocre DVD releases. The bright/dark halos that can be seen in a few shots on the D-Theater version are most likely due to a suboptimal CRT based telecine transfer.

There is a bright overshoot/halo to the 'right' of darker objects and a dark undershoot/halo to the 'right' of very bright objects. NEVER on a 'left' side of a bright or dark object. That asymmetry is completely untypical for the various classic forms of EE.

The DVDs on the other hands have so much regular EE, that these untypical right-side overshoots/undershoots that are most likely part of the telecine master, are masked by the horrible regular symmetrical rining that is apparent on the DVDs.

The T2 D-Theater tape is a completely different league from the DVD on a setup like mine.

Regards
Bjoern

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Nothing wrong with Artisan releasing another T2 DVD, as others have stated, they are in the business to make money. Simply don't buy it if you are happy with the UE :)
Maybe Arnie will do a commentary track for it?
"Is dat where I steal the guy's shades? Cool hahahaha"

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I hate to say it, but if they give us an improved transfer with the new release, I'll purchase it. The T2:UE EE is all too apparent on my setup.

HOWEVER, if it's simply a repackaging of the current transfer with a preview of T3 thrown in, it's a NO SALE!!

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I seriously doubt that it will feature T3 promotions. I don't see Artisan promoting a Warner Bros. movie. Sure, they'll try to cash in on a Warner Bros. movie, but they won't try to promote it :)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Bjoern,

Thanks for clearing that up. I was only going by the Widescreen Review assessment and they stated the EE was still there but greatly reduced. So, if the D-VHS has no actual EE, there is even more hope that the new SE will get the same treatment-unless they go the route that customers like their movies sharpened, which wouldn't suprise me.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks