What's new

Another SVS thread...Help me decide sub options... (1 Viewer)

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Here's my situation: I have a large family room, 2835 cf open to a kitchen that is 3402 cf. There is also a hallway and a stairway off of the family room.
I have a HSU VTF2 sub tuned to 25hz. It's located directly in a corner, 6" from each side wall. After reading about parametric eq's I decided to take a few measurements & found some serious nulls, with no peaks. This is probably due to the large room size.
Listening to the sub, I certainly get a lot of bass, but I would say that it is more boomy than smooth. I've calibrated the level to match my other speakers.
Here's my options on a $500 budget:
1. Add a second HSU VTF 2 sub. Tune 1 to 25Hz and the other to 32Hz, which will produce greater output. EQ both subs with a recently purchased Rane Eq.
2. Replace the HSU VTF 2 with a Paradigm PW 2200. I think I could get about $325 or so for the HSU..bringing my budget up to $825 towards the Paradigm.
3. Replace the HSU with a SVS...but which one. I'd have $825 to spend. I wouldn't mind stacking two box subs, but I'm not interested in 2 SVS subs in our family room.
Thanks!
------------------
HT Pic's

BryanZ

Screenwriter
May I recommend another option? Replace the HSU with dual Adire Audio Ravas. IMO that will be your best option initially. The 20-39 should be excellent for your needs. Either way, make use of the Rane equalizer that you own. Good luck!

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
If it's a choice of two boxes, or one cylinder....go with the two boxes. Dual VTF-2s stacked would be a cost effective approach to great output. As would starting with a single PW2200 and possibly adding a second down the road.
A single CS_U would certainly be something to consider...but it would be about $400 more than the dual VTF-2s(assuming you get them from hsuresearch.com)
TV

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
If you don't like the bass boomy, try getting it away from the corner and see if that helps. If that brings the level too low, add a second HSU and place them by the side walls or on each side of your ent center/TV or whatever you have. It should help take away some boomy bass but will drop the output. Give it a shot. I personally don't like to corner load my sub, it sounds very boomy and not very tight.

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your candor Tom. I guess my only reservation in adding a second VTF 2 is that I'd be limiting the extension. While the sub is tuned for 25hz, it's really straining below 30hz. Adding another HSU does seem to be the most economical way to boost output.
I contacted a local HT store & they've agreed to let me borrow a Paradigm 2200 for the weekend. I'll post my comments.
I was looking at the write up for the SVS Ultra...if my bonus check comes in I might have to rethink how I'll spend it!!!

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
Gary, I'd really like to hear the results of the Paradigm audition. Is there a different spot to place your sub?
I have a few questions related to this topic. Can not the Rane bost the nulls? And second, will not a different sub in the same location produce the same nulls??
Thanks,
------------------
Rich G.

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Rich: I just got the Rane, but have not hooked it up yet. My plan is to cut all of the peaks rather than boost the nulls. Apparently this will allow for greater amp headroom.
So, my first step is to set up the eq with my current sub, then I'll set up the eq with the Paradigm. From there I'll decide what to do next.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks