Another SVS sub sold

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kieran Coghlan, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Kieran Coghlan

Kieran Coghlan Second Unit

I know y'all are probably sick of hearing people spouting off about how they just bit the bullet and ordered a SVS. I know I was tired of those posts. BUT I CAN'T HELP IT!
    I just bit the bullet and bought a SVS 2039pci! Can't believe I did it, really... it was a total impulse buy. I got a b-stock 2039pci for about $540 delivered. Such a deal! [​IMG] Don't know yet when it will arrive, but boy, when it does! [​IMG] This is a big deal for me... I haven't upgraded since around 1998 I think. I've been happy with my humble system for years... I'm trying NOT to feel any buyers remorse, but it always creeps in.
    Anyway, I *am* excited. I already have emailed with Ron S a bit. There was a mistake on my order (I put the wrong state down). I emaile after hours, and got a response from Ron himself within minutes. And he started offering setup advice right away too! Great company they're running... great service. I'm sure I'll be back to say it's a great product, too!

2. TysonL

TysonL Agent

Kieran,
    Congrats on the purchase. I purchased mine on Friday of last week. It is scheduled to arrive this Friday. I went with the 20-39Pci as well. I am really looking forward to receiving it and spending my sick day on friday setting it up. [​IMG]
    I have some really high expectations for this sub. I hope it won't let me down. In about 1997, my setup consisted of:
    Consumer SONY receiver with external SONY DD Decoder
    Front Bose direct reflecting speakers
    Rear Cerwin Vega bookshelfs
    Center Cerwin Vega
    Cerwin Vega Sub 15"
    Sony DVD Player
    32" Sony Tube
    When I had this setup, I didn't think it could get much better. However, my new setup consists of the following:
    Samsung 65" HDTV
    DSR6000 DirecTivo
    Denon 3802
    Panasonic RP-56
    Klipsch RF3II
    Klipsch RC3II
    Klipsch RS3II
    Cerwin Vega 15" sub to be replaced by the SVS
    This setup has been awesome, save for the fact that now I can tell I have a muddy/boomy sub, which of course before, I could never discern the difference. Don't get me wrong, it has provided alot of "boom". It's just not well at handling fast sequences or going much below 29-30Hz.
    Looking forward to the UPS guy on Friday.
    Tyson

3. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Question for you both - why did you guys end up going with the PCi version instead of the PC+? I'm probably going to be making the same decision soon and am just curious.

Aaron

4. TysonL

TysonL Agent

After some brief correspondance with Tom, I decided the Pci would work for my room size and needs. Granted, the Plus looks to be awesome, I just couldn't justify another $200.00 or so.

If I had a larger room +3000'cu ft. I would have opted for a Plus.

Tyson

5. Kieran Coghlan

Aaron:
    One simple reason for going for the pci over the pc+ ...
    MONEY.
    I'm a tight wad, what can I say? At $499 (I got a b-stock) the 2039pci was a great deal, and I can't imagine needing more. Heck, my main speakers at the moment are the tiny Energy Take5 satellites. Plus I live in a condo, so I won't be CRANKING it anyway... more extension is what I really wanted, not more volume, and the 16-46 was just too big for my taste.
    Heck though... if you can afford it, and have a hankerin' for the maximum bass, go for it! [​IMG]

6. David Head

David Head Second Unit

Hi Aaron,

I also ordered a 20-39PCi last week and will receive it tomorrow. My new speakers (Axiom MT60/VP150/QS8) are scheduled to arrive Monday, which is when I plan to set up and calibrate everything. I'm right across the bay from you, so you're welcome to set up a time to come and listen if you'd like.

David

7. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

I gave up my very large Klipschs for the little Klipsch quintets because my wife wanted her room back. As a compromise, I got to replace my Advent 12" sub with a 16-46 PCi when the summer sale started ($599). It is, without a doubt, easily the single most important audio buy I have ever made! Unbelievable the difference in sound. Plus, it makes these little Klipschs (which get bashed quite often on these sites) sparkle. Spend another $120 on a BFD EQ for the sub, and your bass will be stunning. I can't imagine wanting more from a sub than this, and the sub plus EQ is cheaper than the PC+. Sorry Ron and Tom, but I am so impressed with this sub that I can't personally recommend moving up, although many others probably will.

8. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

David, thanks for the offer. I sent you an email.
    Bill, I see you're from "east central WI". I used to live in Manitowoc. You near there at all?
    Group, its very refreshing to hear that you don't necessarily have to buy the most expensive piece in order to get great bass. I agree, it probably does matter a lot about the room size, etc. Here's hoping I have a room that doesn't require one of the more expensive subs. [​IMG]
    Aaron

9. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I've got a PCI and love it. I can' imagine needing anything more.
    good thing too - if I did, I'd be sleeping on the couch. [​IMG]

10. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Aaron, I recently bought the SVS25-31PCi (tuned to 22) and am very pleased with it -- although I can't say the same for my SO... [​IMG]
    I got the "smallest" SVS to try and keep her happy, although that doesn't seem to have really worked, rather than the bigger ones even though I don't need the SPLs and would've preferred more extension. as a "compromise" I requested the 22Hz tuning to get it a little deeper.
    I can say that in a 26 x 13 living room, the SVS is more than enough sub, although that might have to be qualified by the fact the floor is marble and not carpeted. the room literally shakes -- this is not an exaggeration. doors rattle in the frames, as do windows. I really have to watch it, since this is an apartment. and I don't I was near reference levels either.
    hnece, it was "unnecessary" for me to wait for the PC+, the PCi is more than enough (sorry Tom & Ron [​IMG] ). but YMMV.

11. Chris Lanni

Chris Lanni Stunt Coordinator

Christopher
    Kieran, I can't believe that you found a B-stock 20-39PCi. I also found one and ordered it on the 6th of August. I can't wait to get it all set up. This is my first foray into home theater. For the last 4 years I have had my tv/vcr/dvd hooked up to my panasonic stereo. The best thing about SVS is that I live in Ohio which is where the sub is coming from. TWO DAYS DELIVERY TIME!! WOO-HOO!!

Chris

12. Kieran Coghlan

Chris, that is the same day I ordered mine! Did the b-stock site say they had two in stock when you ordered? When I ordered (about 5:30pm PST 8/6/02) there was only one in stock. I couldn't believe it either... I had been occasionally looking there over the last several months, always checking to see if one was in stock, not sure if I would even buy if there was one. Well, when there was one in stock on the DAY that the Lord of The Rings dvd was released, I took it as a sign [​IMG] and ordered it right away. [​IMG] Still can't believe I made a $500 impulse buy. :p) Amazing that we both ordered a b-stock 2039pci on the same day. They are indeed uncommon.