Another SVS 16-46CS+ or what?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Eric A, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

Okay here is my situation. I have dual 16-46CS pluses. I had them separated in the 2 front corners of my room. In this setup, I had wonderfully smooth bass and very non localizable. It was as the subs almost imaged between the speakers. The problem was that the output was not what I wanted and the woofers strained a good bit at higher levels. To solve this I moved both to the left corner. This semi-solved my problem. I did gain about 2-3db more output but still not enough. The woofers still strain a good bit. I also have a more localizable sound now. I would love to purchase 2 more subs and put them in the other corner but I cannot. I am thinking of purchasing just one more 16-46 now as my wallet can handle that. I am wondering what the effects will be using one in the right corner and two in the left corner? Anyone out there have this type of setup? How much more output will I get? How would I balance the subs' output levels so one is not working alot harder than the other? I am hoping that the increased headroom I get by adding the additional sub will help overall but I am concerned about the balance. Any help will be appreciated.

PS: I have a BFD on the subs and run a fairly flat house curve. About 7-8db 20-80hz.

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

~3db, not worth just getting 1 more.

Are you using a subsonic filter at 16hz? The driver excursion increases dramatically below the tune point and this can bring on distortion much sooner with deep bass material.

3. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Eric,

How did you determeine the woofers are straining? What is your crossover set at?

-Robb

4. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

What you need to do first is to find how much gain your getting by going from 2 to 3 subs. After determining your added gain you want to calibrate the single first.

Example> When I ran 3 25-31CS+'s colocated off of the 1450 QSC amp, I calibrated the single at -6db and the dual at -3db. When I powered all three up, I came in at 0/flat.

5. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

Steve,
    Your reply is what I am looking for. I was wondering about balancing them. I am guessing about 3db more output but the output is really not my highest priority, gaining more headroom is. This will allow all the woofers to not work as hard. One question though, why -6db on the single and not the duals?

BTW: I am not running a subsonic filter and my crossover is set at 80.

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

One question though, why -6db on the single and not the duals?
    __________________________________________________ ____

You can go either rout, but in going more negative on the single, you will in effect, be cutting it the most slack/headroom. 3db is actually quite a bit, if thats what you achieve. You'll probably get +2 with them parted, but you will notice the difference.

7. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

This is not the exact excursion graph for SVS but it gives you an idea of how fast it goes up below the tuning point and the need for subsonic filtering.

[​IMG]

8. dave/r

dave/r Auditioning

I agree with Ned, I'd try putting the subsonic filter on. If you're still having trouble, I'd wait until you can run 2x dual 16-46+s.
    How about 3 co-located anyone? Would that improve output over 2 co-located and one on its own?

9. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

Thanks guys. This is a work in progress and I am working through this as budget allows. Funny thing is, with room gain, I have more than enough output from 28hz on down. I am about +12db from 28hz down to 16hz. I have tamed this a good bit with the BFD so I think I am helping myself by cutting these frequencies. I think the route I am looking to take is purchase a new amp like a Crown K2 and then add the subs as I can afford. I would ultimately like to get a B4 but that is out of my range.[​IMG]

10. Michael Brand

I wonder if another good option would be to add a 25 - 31 cylinder to your set up, to get more slam from the higher HZ. I say this, because I have two PC+ 20-39's tuned to 16 hz, and set up in the same locations as your 16-46's. I too love how this sounds with music, but miss a little punch with the 16 hz. tune. When I tune one sub back to 20 hz the slam returns, and is great with movies, but then the subs are "locatable" with music. With the two 16-46's in front you should still sound good with music, and the 25-31 in back would give you the movie "slam". If it is locatable during music play back, maybe you just shut it off?

11. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

What about getting 2 boxes, placing 1 by each cylinder?

12. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

Scott,
    Please elaborate! I am open to all suggestions. I am just trying to find the best overall bang for the buck and getting the bestest and mostest bass any normal (questionable) human could want.

13. John-Tompkins

John-Tompkins Second Unit

Are for that matter, would say one pb12-plus on one side with the two 16-46's on the other side equal out fairly well ? ..
    Or how about selling one 16-46 and buying a pb12 and then having one pb12 on the left and one 16-46 on the right ? (might look weird I guess?)

14. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

You can always get 4 CS Ultra's like my Friend Eric. It sounds f'ing great [​IMG]

There is a big difference in sound quality from dual CS+ to dual CS Ultras. The Ultras are just way more ballsy in the deep end with more distinction in the notes.

15. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I have one PB12-Plus/2 that replaced a 2039 and 2 Sunfire 15in subs in my AR-1s and I can rattle my neighbors dishes easily. . . I am awestruck. . .