Another sub question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by paul haslett, Jul 30, 2002.

1. paul haslett

paul haslett Extra

May 29, 2002
    Thinking of buying a sub. I just wanted to know how much difference a sub will make. At the moment all my bass is going through my other speakers, but at the moment i can not watch any movies at high volumes due to my complianing flat mate.

I will be moving into an appartment of my own in 6 months so should i wait till then or will a sub make a good sound difference at low volumes?

Also at the moment all my speakers are Polk Audio would i be best keeping to polk or does it not make a difference which make you have with a sub as long as its a good sub?

Thanks for all the help in this and my last post

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Jan 16, 1998
    Neil Joseph
    In a few words, yes! The sub will make a big difference. What size are your main speakers now (how large are the woofers)? You most likely will have to set the receiver's speakers settings to "small" so that the bass is routed to the sub instead of the main speakers trying to handle it.
  3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Dec 9, 2001
    A sub will help at low volumes, since the rest of the system needn't be played at a higher volume for the bass to come through. Plus you can place the sub in the best spot for "quiet running" now, and later on work for the best spot in the room for normal use.

Don't worry about Polk. Any sub that is built well and performs well will work, no matching necessary unless you get very complex...