Another Sub Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelvin F, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Kelvin F

Kelvin F Auditioning

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a KLH asw 15-200 because my other sub died. I know that klh does not make high quality subs, but it`s all i can afford for the forseeable future. I`ve read of people stuffing polyfil in thier subs to lessen the boominess (sony sa-wm40). Would this tweak work in a klh sub as well? I will be gratful for any input.THANKS!!

2. George V

George V Extra

Kelvin,
    I am not familiar with that sub, but I may be able to help/provide input. Is the KLH sub ported or sealed? If it is ported, adding the filling material will not help. If it is a sealed sub, it will trick the sub to think it has a little more volume. And usually will play lower and tighter, not always. If the box is too big for the subwoofer driver it may sound boomy and floppy, not tight. If it is sealed I would try to stuff it and give a listen!
    [​IMG]

3. Kelvin F

Kelvin F Auditioning

Thanks George for your reply. Does the filler have to be a special kind or can i just go to walmart and buy pillow stuffing? By the way, my sub is in a sealed enclosure.

4. George V

George V Extra

Kelvin,

for your use, I would just use the pillow stuffing from Walmart or K-Mart or any other-mart. Was there any acoustic material (stuffing) inside? Do not put in too much, just fluff and fill enclosure. Let me know how it sounds.