Another stupid question........hey it's my 2nd post........

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Halm, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Gary Halm

Gary Halm Auditioning

sorry if it's a dumb question but i think i am leaning toward buying the denon 1802 and a sub, then using my 4 current speakers(radio shack and sony) as my fronts and rears until i can afford the package i really want.

my question, for a middle speaker could i use the speakers in the tv, it's a wide-screen with two ok sounding speakers. i don't have the model of the tv, it's a 48" ge i caught on close out at cc last fall.

if i can use them, are there any reasons that i shouldn't go this route?

thanks for the input.........

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

The speakers you use for the fronts when set up without a center will do a much better job creating a 'phantom' center.

Try it if you can. Experimentation in your own house, with your own ears is the best. But on paper, just go with "4.1".

Good luck!

3. Mark Tranchant

Mark Tranchant Stunt Coordinator

Gary: no reason at all why not. You'll want to connect the Denon's centre pre-out to the TV's audio input using a Y-connector to reach both channels. Does the TV have easy connections to let you do this? With my setup, I'd have to cobble up a SCART to SCART and phono to pull the component video from the DVD player and the audio from the amp.

I doubt you could do this for TV viewing using the TV tuner to generate the sound, the receiver to produce a DPL2 signal and then send the audio back to the TV speakers. You could get around this by opening the TV, disconnecting the speakers from the internal amp and wiring them straight to the Denon's centre speaker terminals. This would prevent teh TV from being used standalone, of course.

Colin's suggestion to do without centre speaker is only valid if your TV is exactly in-between the front speakers. In my room, I'm forced to have the TV pretty much underneath the left-hand main speaker, and a dedicated centre is essential to position the sound in the same place as the picture.

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

True...good point about the centering.

5. Gary Halm

Gary Halm Auditioning

thanks for the replies guys.
    problem may be solved short term in that a co-worker is basically giving me a bose center speaker. it's a single driver but it'll suffice for now--at least i'll get an idea of what my present speakers sound like.
    at least i am making headway...i'll get my receiver and sub first and see what happens. still leaning toward the denon 1802 on receiver..
    i am looking to spend $150 on the sub, room is about 18 X 22, 11 ft ceilings. i have carpet now but am planning on going tile in the next 30-45 days, i'll put down a nice rug or two but i really prefer tile...
    with that said, what recommendations on subs would you guys have? i have checked out the dls at partsexpress...
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=300-630&DID=7
    what do you guys think of it? is this a sub that i would assemble myself or is it already done? i am pretty decent at woodworking and i don't think i would have a problem doing this sort of thing...who knows, i might get into speaker building on a larger scale after i get my feet wet..
    and the sony sub...
    http://www.audioreview.com/Subwoofer...7_2741crx.aspx
    i think i saw a floor model of this sub at my local bestbuy the other night--$75 if i remember correct....might be a good buy....
    thanks again....

6. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

If you can build a box, build one around a used SVS driver ($50 or less here) and a $100 plate amp from parts express. The DIY forum here can advise on box dim's.

Will kill the Sony. It's a big room, you may need it.

But either of those 2 WILL work, but there's better for a few dollars more. I lived with the DLS (kinda - it was Optimus, same specs) and dug it till I got the SVS.

- C

7. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Remember Gary. There are very few stupid questions. There are MANY stupid replies. And none of either, so far, on this thread.[​IMG]