What's new

Another stupid question, Fluance SX-HTB versus Rocket ELT (2 Viewers)

Donald_S

Stunt Coordinator
In terms of value, these look like two of the better packages out there. Is the Rocket package worth another $500? The specs in terms of sensitivity and range seem to be similar, assuming purchasing a nice sub for the Fluance. Dumb question? Probably, but I've not heard either speaker and I'm hoping some of you have.

Thanks,

Donald

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
There's a thread beginning to heat up on av forum about Bose speakers.
Apparently there's something called the "Borax strategy," because (like speakers) it's difficult to judge what is the best detergent, consumers will buy the expensive brand thinking they are getting the detergent that cleans the best.
Just because something is cheap doesn't mean it's inferior. You'll never know this answer unless you compare the two side by side.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Also keep in mind the ELT package comes w/ a sub and the Fluance package does not.

I haven't heard the ELT package but I have heard the rocket's and they sound great. That said, unless side bye side so you could hear the slight differences I don't beleive either speaker would make you unhappy. I would personally be more inclined to go for the SX-HTB and a good sub (adire rave or prefferably DIY). A good sub (especially a good DIY sub) will follow you through many speaker upgrades.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I have heard the ELT system...but not the Fluance.

IMO, the sub in the ELT system is the week link, the center is the strongest. Replace that sub with a Rava, DIY, or Hsu STF series, would make the whole "system" nicer.

Donald_S

Stunt Coordinator

Also keep in mind the ELT package comes w/ a sub and the Fluance package does not

Yes, I know the Fluance doesn't come with a sub, my $500 difference as the total difference including a sub(Fluance SX-HTB + Fluance sub + shipping = approx $500) vs. (Onix ELT Rocket + shipping = approx $1000).

Hearing them side by side is unfortunately an expensive proposition. It would cost almost $200 in shipping to try out the ELT system and then return it, for example. And Fluance pretty much has a no return policy as I understand it. That's why your help is *much* appreciated.

Donald

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Don,

Where are you located? You may be able to find owners of either system close to you and willing to have you over for a listen.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
I think it's a good idea by using the extra money to buy a good DIY sub. I had the idea in mind as well.
http://www.creativesound.ca/index.html
It would seem to be a waste if you were stuck with a sub that underperformed.
If you don't have a receiver yet, using the extra money to buy a better receiver will improve overall performance as well.

Donald_S

Stunt Coordinator
The whole Do It Yourself thing is just not something I'm going to fool with. As for checking out someone's nearby system Curtis, I'm in Chatsworth so when can I come over? (smile). It's a good idea and I should probably ask around.

Donald

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The point of my "side-by-side" comment wasn't to say that you need the listen to both in your house (while if at all possible it's a good idea) but to say that I really doubt that you would be unhappy with either unless you did hear them side-by-side and were able to see the small differences.

As for the fluance sub, it could be great, but there isn't much known about them (as opposed to the fluance speakers). If you're going cheap on the sub i'd pick up a Dayton 10" from parts express ($130), or if you were willing to spend noticably more on a sub that you would probably keep around quite awhlie longer than the speakers, the Adire Rava for $400 from www.adireaudio.com

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Donald,

I compared the ELT satellites to my Ascend CBM-170's. You are welcome to come down to listen to my Ascend/Hsu setup.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
I would have to agree that the Hsu VTF-2 is better than the ELT sub, but the Hsu lists for $200.00 more than the ELT sub. I have heard both the Ascends and the ELT's, and I prefer the ELT's for both their sound and build.
If you search, there have been a number of Fluance threads on these boards over the past couple of years, and they seeem to be acceptable as strictly entry level speakers. I would be looking at something along the lines of the ELT's or Ascends to keep the upgrade bug at bay a little longer if budget permits. I think it's hard to find serious 5.1 sound under a grand that will keep you happy for long.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
An option with the ELTs is to get the ELT package without the sub—AV123 will package the four satellites and the center for $700. Apply the saved $200 to a sub such as a Adire Rava or VTF-2.

But this will of course cost more money.

If money is tight, I’d go ahead and get the whole ELT package—upgrade the sub at a later date, if you feel the need. It is a very fine value at $900. And while the sub may not compete with a Hsu, it too is very good at its price point.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
The new Rocket UFW-10 probably competes on the same playing field with the VFT-2 though. AV123 will probably be willing to substitute (no pun intended) it for the little ELT sub for a premium. I have one of the UFW-10's here, but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Like all Onix products, it is beautiful. One thing that surprised me is it's small size. I must be getting used to monster subs. The UFW-10 should make a lot of wives happy. Unfortunately it doesn't match the cherry stain of the ELT's though.

Alan M

Second Unit
Don,since your in chatsworth,I'm in sherman oaks.Pm me,and we can setup a time for you to listen to the fluance sx system.I have had my sx setup for over a year now and am very pleased with this high bang for your buck speaker system.
Hope the 10 minute drive from chatsworth to sherman oaks isnt to far,lol.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
I'm not sure if the sx-htb set is just an entry level system. Those mains have a nice full clean undistorted sound. If there's a weakness, I wish the drivers on the center were the same size as the mains.
I've got my center set a couple of db's louder because the mains tend to overpower the center a bit. With a $500 sub and a good receiver I'm sure one wouldn't upgrade for some time.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Don,

Looks like listening to all the speakers would not be too difficult for you. There are owners of Fluance and ELT's(I know one in Monterey Park I could probably hook you up with) around you.

It is not a side by side...but the next best thing.

Good luck!

Alan M

Second Unit
I'd have to agree with Ian.The sx system is more then just an entry level system.While it doesnt compare to some $2000 systems I've heard.It has held up well in a side by side comparison done against 2 systems in the $1000 range.
All 3 setups where calibrated,and fed from the same source.The comment most often mentioned was clarity and fullness of the sx system.No,I wont mention the brands of the other systems.I have no desire to start a dogfight,but both have been spoken of in the ht forum.

Donald_S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys for your input, it's really helpful. Curtis and Alan I've sent you PMs. I'd appreciate the opportunity to spend 20 minutes checking out the Fluance and ELT.

Donald

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks