What's new

Another stupid BFD question (1 Viewer)

Ken Woodrow

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe I'm asking this question, but here goes: I cannot seem to get an input signal on my Behringer Feedback Destroyer (model 1100). I believe (?) I have everything hooked up correctly: Receiver sub out to Channel 1 In (using 1/4" RCA-to-male phono plug adaptor) and Channel 1 Out to the subwoofer, but I can't seem to get any input signal when playing CDs or DVDs with the sub engaged. None of the signal lights on the left side of the display show anything. I've been trying it with the BFD in "bypass" mode as recommended by others in this forum (green light blinking). Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I tried turning the volume up, but still no lights (or sound from the sub for that matter). I assume I am using the correct "in" and "out" jacks on the BFD -- the ones grouped on the left are channel 1 and the ones on the right are channel 2, correct? Also, I've set the input levels at -10db, which should be correct for consumer gear. Any ideas? Are there any other settings that need to be engaged or changed?

Confused,

Ken

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Maybe the 1/4 to RCA adaptor is bad. You have 2- try swapping the one for BFD to sub with the suspect one receiver to BFD. Those lights on the left should be blinking. Sure receiver setup is ok (sub yes, speakers small). Are you playing material loaded with deep bass ? Maybe try the BFD's other channel.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Ken,

Sorry to quote from the manual, but I missed this tidbit my first pass or two thru the manual.

Page 10 of the user manual under Control Elements explains the function of each control or LED indicator.

#1 is the LED meter, and the last sentence of this paragraph states that when the BFD is set to Total Bypass (green light blinking), the level meter reads the input level. Otherwise, it is an output level meter.

According to Behringer Customer support:

>>You can adjust the general level with the operating level button at the rear panel of the DSP1124P. If you use it in a hifi-stereo system the level is -10 dBV.

As there is no further input level adjustment in the DSP1124P you should use an output from your system that is before the main volume pot.

-30 is a little too low to detect feedback filters. For parametric equalizer use the input level should come up to -10, if you are in -10dBV mode.

Ken Woodrow

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the thoughtful replies, Rick. As for my setup:

I'm using a Sony DB930 receiver for my DD5.1 and DTS decoding and I have the sub set to "yes" and my fronts and rears to "small." My source is a HTPC with the sound passing through the S/PDIF output of my soundcard. This setup and the sub work great when connected directly. I cranked up the sub setting on my receiver to +10db, the highest it will go, and was playing the opening scenes from Fifth Element, which are heavy on LFE and bass. I tried switching the inputs around, but I haven't tried using different adaptors. That will be my next attempt at a fix. I keep wondering if I'm missing a setting on the BFD -- I've tried left channel only, right channel only, and both together, and I have the "bypass" button blinking. Perhaps the problem is with the adaptors -- I'll make sure I have 1/4" to MONO phono adaptors. The only other thing is that I've got a bad interconnect -- always a possibility. I'll keep you posted.

- Ken

Ken Woodrow

Stunt Coordinator
Just to put a stupid closure on my stupid question: I did get it working. The problem was a bad interconnect (one I made myself). That'll teach me!

Now to start experimenting with filters and ETF -- yippee!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks