Another speaker placement ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarkW, Sep 9, 2002.

1. MarkW

MarkW Auditioning

I've read much about surround speaker placement, but think that given my room, my best option is to attach speakers to cieling and angle downwards. I think the recommended height is somewhere between sitting position and standing position, but my cieling is 9 feet. Is 9 feet too high to get effective surround sound? I'll probably be using Rockets RS250s. Thanks for you help.

2. DanielN

DanielN Stunt Coordinator

Mark im in the same situation as you. I have to mount my speakers on the ceiling. So....I 2nd Mark's question [​IMG]

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Perhaps this link might be useful.

4. MarkW

MarkW Auditioning

Thanks Chu, I have been to dolby's website before. If I could, I would try out different speaker positions to see what sounded the best, but the house isn't built yet and I wanted to wire it before the sheet rock went up. Maybe I'll just create a web of wires all over just in case. Thanks. Anybody else have speakers 9' up? Does it work OK?

5. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

I have my speakers mounted high on the wall, not quite 9 feet, but about 7-8 feet. Personally, I love it. The key is to angle them down towards the central listening position and you should be ok. Most of the time with surround effects you don't want to know where they are coming from. The key is to balance the levels with Avia disk or some such thing so that they aren't too loud or too soft.

Ambient effects(insects, birds, water) sound awesome. It's hard to localize them as they sorta just float in the air.

I was concerned about panning surround effects, but that concern seems unneccessary. I just finished watch the Phantom Menace(what a bad, bad movie) and there is nothing to be worried about. Pans sound spot on. And you certainly get enveloped.

I have to confess, personally I think they maybe a little high, but that's mainly because they look so high on the wall.

My brother has a much more expensive system. He's got the 3000 dollar amp, the expensive speakers and sub. But, his surround speakers are virtually right next to the listener. While I'll admit the sound coming out of his speakers is better than mine, the effect of having mine high on the wall really adds something to movies that his is lacking.

I'm by no means an expert(as evidenced by my own questions) but hope this helps.

6. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Did you guys find out how your ideas to have the surrounds higher up worked out??? I am in an almost identical situation....having a house built, need to prewire the walls, but don't know how it will sound. Any feedback would be great [​IMG]

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Man you guys think you have a problem with 9' ceilings? My new room has 12' ceilings and I have no back wall to mount off of. I may use a 1-2' monthing pole to do the job and experiment with angling. They are dipoles.

8. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I just wonder if having the surrounds mounted 8-9 feet up in a large room w/ vaulted ceiling would contribute to the sound quality or detract from it. I could angle them down slightly by placing something under the back of the speaker, but wouldn't be much. Seems like most people have theirs mounted significantly lower than 9 feet, though [​IMG]

9. Lin Weiwen

Lin Weiwen Stunt Coordinator

I have my surrounds wall mounted on swivel brackets that allows you to angle them down, at about 2.2 m high. So far, they sound great and give a very nice atmospherice presence. Split effects and pans come across cleanly too and although I am not hearing the sound emanating precisely beside your ears(as would spkrs placed on floorstands), they lend a nice airy envelopment which I really like.