Another Sonosub complete!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by tom_furman, Sep 16, 2004.

1. tom_furman

tom_furman Stunt Coordinator

There ya go, one Tempest Sonosub! Opinions?

Look down!

2. tom_furman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Great pics! HOw 'bout some construction details?

I'd ask about the sound, but I'm sure it's fantastic.

4. tom_furman

thanks for the comments! im currently working on the fabric sock, but due to my crappy sewing skills it's gonna take years! :b

I pretty much made it a "cookie cutter" sub, using people's previous attempts on here and the various programs available.

18" sonotube, 62" high.
    6" port tube, 22 1/2" long
    no internal bracing
    about 2 lbs of caulk [​IMG]
    polyfill spray-glued to the interior, etc etc.

the toughest part was making the amp mount internally. i went through 2x the amount of MDF i thought i'd need :b i kept having to recut the top plugs, but finally i got them so perfect i had to tap them in with a rubber mallet (and i did make templates if i ever make its twin) [​IMG]

it also took me forever to get the finish just so. i'd paint it and then i'd see a wrinkle, or streak so id have to sand it all down and start over. [​IMG]

as for the sound, lets just say i havent really gotten to crank it up. the room its in is 13x18 so i only have the gain about 1/5 up. but it blends in perfect with my HTD level 3 towers.

the next time i make one it will go by ALOT more smoothly.

5. Joe L.

Joe L. Stunt Coordinator

Tom,

Our subwoofers could be twins! Mine has a top plate to cover the port opening and so is probably about 5 inches taller overall, but I think it must be close to the same internal volume. (260L?) They could be related!!

As proud parents, we could always tell the twins apart. I did not mount my plate-amp to the subwoofer. Instead, it sits on the floor alongside of the sub, and that made making the sock lots easier as it did not need any opening for the amplifier. We simply sewed one seem down the one edge, slid it on, and it worked out perfectly. My wife found a stretchy knit fabric that had a slight woven pattern at the Joanne fabric store and it hides the seams in the sonotube well.

That's a very nice finish on your end-cap. It looks like you spent a lot of time making it high-gloss.

My room is a little bigger than yours (14x20) and the Tempest Sonosub has no problem keeping up with LF effects in the movies. They can truly shake the room and rattle everything in it. Sounds pretty decent on music too.

My SonoTwin to your sub

Fitting the sock over the sub... you can see the fabric texture.

Hiding in the corner, the fabric sock makes it almost disappear when the lights are low

Good luck with your new sub. Like you, I've given thought to building another (for the other side of my theater) using the other half of the sonotube standing in my garage, but then sanity sets in. Maybe some day... as you said, the next one will be easier.

Joe L.

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Very nice job countersinking the amp! Have you thought of making a sock of some sort to cover the sonotube though?

7. tom_furman

Nice sub Joe...the do look very similar. I wanted to mount the amp internally so I wouldnt have more floor space taken up by this already huge beast. space is at a premium in it's current location.

i already have the stretchy fabric, and i'm just waiting to sew it. i have two options...cut out and staple the fabric around the amp, or (the hacker method) just cut a small circle in the fabric so the wires can pop out. I never have to adjust the dials, so if i turned that side towards the wall you'd never notice. :b

8. Joe L.

Joe L. Stunt Coordinator

Tom,

You could use a square "frame" of flexible card stock slightly larger than your amp cutout, cut a hole in it sized for the opening of your amp leaving an inch or two border. Use it to reinforce the opening in the sock for your amplifier. You might still be able to slide the sock on and off as needed and position the opening in the "frame" over the amp controls.

I would use thin stock so it would fit the outer contour of the sonotube. Might even fit the sock in place without any cutout, but inside out, then position the frame over it, then carefully cut an X in the fabric inside the frame and then fold the fabric over the frame fasten it in place with some glue (hot-melt glue perhaps). Last, remove and re-install right-side in and position the reinforced opening in the sock over the amp.

Joe L.

9. Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland Supporting Actor

yep, good job on the amp cut-out.....I would be afraid
    to do that. [​IMG]

10. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

You could also take the amp mount lose, place the sock on, cut out for the hole leaving an extra inch or two, then re-mount the amp letting it hold the sock in place.